Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

12 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Tragic, man. I didn’t know her personally but work for the same school and live about 20km away.

Obviously we don’t know what was going through her mind, but living so far from home during this pandemic has been tough. 

In terms of support for mental health, Japan is an absolute disgrace. The philosophy is very much to ignore people who have them and hope it goes away. 

There’s a good expat community here though and she would have had a lot of support and empathy if she had felt able to open up on her troubles.

I’m gutted for her family in Nottingham who must have felt utterly powerless just waiting for news from the police. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Asha said:

Tragic, man. I didn’t know her personally but work for the same school and live about 20km away.

Obviously we don’t know what was going through her mind, but living so far from home during this pandemic has been tough. 

In terms of support for mental health, Japan is an absolute disgrace. The philosophy is very much to ignore people who have them and hope it goes away. 

There’s a good expat community here though and she would have had a lot of support and empathy if she had felt able to open up on her troubles.

I’m gutted for her family in Nottingham who must have felt utterly powerless just waiting for news from the police. 

Unfortunately it's the same on this side of the East Sea/Sea of Japan too.

Great idea !! ...  let's get a letter off to the EU ...  £2 billion from France for when Norman the conquerer and his mates did a bit of conquering and enslaved some Brits ...  a couple of billion from Germany for when those Angles and Saxons came over ...  and as for the Italians !! (not that I'm angry about them winning the Euros) ...   about £20 billion for those Roman buggers who enslaved half the country and made us build swimming baths and roads and things and chucked a few of us into arenas with lions and other nasty big cats that mauled us to death.   By the time we've passed some over to Jamaica there should be loads left ...  might just cover what we've lost with this Covid malarkey ! ...  result !!

IMG_6676.jpg

26 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

The Spears' fight over conservatorship is pretty sad really.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57839526

It is pretty unbelievable that a grown professional woman can have so little power over her life.  I am not saying she didn't need help back in 2006, but 15 years on it looks misogynistic and exploitative.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about putting this in the unpopular opinions thread, but… I suspect (not certain, but suspect) that the conservatorship of Britney Spears probably has a good point.

I understand she has bipolar disorder. That can cause people to believe fanciful delusions. Some of the things that she’s said, even publicly, may be such delusions. And it’s a lifelong thing - if her medication (which is one thing she’s complaining about) isn’t right then she could easily be believing such delusions right now. If the conservatorship was removed, I’d fear that her fortune could be gone in a month, as you can bet there will be nefarious people waiting to take it. Ultimately, my reading between the lines is that the conservatorship is very much there for her own good and that people are trying to protect her from herself, not that that message will be accepted by her fans of course, but they won’t be the ones taking direct responsibility if her life totally collapses without it. They’ll just be sharing thoughts and prayers and saying how the sad the situation is.

As I say, none of this is certain, which is in itself the terrible thing about bipolar disorder: It’s so hard from the outside to pick make-believe from reality. Nor am I trying to say that she’s in any way at fault or bad for it. I feel very sorry for her having to live with it. But this conservatorship may well be the best way for her to do so.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I’ve been thinking about putting this in the unpopular opinions thread, but… I suspect (not certain, but suspect) that the conservatorship of Britney Spears probably has a good point.

I understand she has bipolar disorder. That can cause people to believe fanciful delusions. Some of the things that she’s said, even publicly, may be such delusions. And it’s a lifelong thing - if her medication (which is one thing she’s complaining about) isn’t right then she could easily be believing such delusions right now. If the conservatorship was removed, I’d fear that her fortune could be gone in a month, as you can bet there will be nefarious people waiting to take it. Ultimately, my reading between the lines is that the conservatorship is very much there for her own good and that people are trying to protect her from herself, not that that message will be accepted by her fans of course, but they won’t be the ones taking direct responsibility if her life totally collapses without it. They’ll just be sharing thoughts and prayers and saying how the sad the situation is.

As I say, none of this is certain, which is in itself the terrible thing about bipolar disorder: It’s so hard from the outside to pick make-believe from reality. Nor am I trying to say that she’s in any way at fault or bad for it. I feel very sorry for her having to live with it. But this conservatorship may well be the best way for her to do so.

Think this makes some form of sense surrounding her finances, but what about the other things she's mentioned? Like not being allowed to get married/have kids? Or have coffee taken away from her, like wtf. 

In the end she's not asking to be completely free, she's asking to be free from her dad and have the conservatorship moved to another person isn't she? 

47 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Think this makes some form of sense surrounding her finances, but what about the other things she's mentioned? Like not being allowed to get married/have kids? Or have coffee taken away from her, like wtf. 

In the end she's not asking to be completely free, she's asking to be free from her dad and have the conservatorship moved to another person isn't she? 

Well, this is partly what I’m wondering. As I understand it, these are claims. The horrible fact is that they may not even be true. Or they may be embellished.

As I say, nothing certain. But these kind of grand claims are something I recognise of bipolar, as are the way she’s saying them. And it is difficult because it’s so hard to tell from the outside whether they’re true or not. And if they are true then, as you say, wtf. But from what I’ve read and experienced, I think there’s a distinctly non-zero chance that they’re not.