Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

Just now, Facecloth said:

You must not follow Shilton on Twitter. 

:schlupp:really, shilts and Dangerous Turd are of the same mindset.

I'm really shocked, these people (not dangerous turd), work, play and celebrate with ethnic and black people.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Good to see Peter Shilton wouln't take a knee before a game, if he was playing these days  Well said that man. :appl:

How do you feel about virtue signalling?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Good to see Peter Shilton wouln't take a knee before a game, if he was playing these days  Well said that man. :appl:

EDIT

Beaten to the Joke FFS

Edited by EnderbyFox

Peter Shilton is a knobhead. As is Ian Marshall unfortunately, he spouts some asinine stuff,  or at least he used to, haven't checked his social media feed in ages. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Indeed, it is almost impossible to avoid endless nonsense these days, even for those of us gifted with a decent brain.  Serious filtering required, but then somehow you risk missing what everyone else sees.  Tricky.

And if you're in a position where you have to know as much as you can because you have to understand where everyone is coming from, then you can't afford to filter either.

Yes, tricky. But good communication (science in particular) is a job of absolute necessity for a variety of reasons. Tbh that's why I'm glad we have folks like Sir David still good at fighting the good fight.

19 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That university related problem could easily be solved by refusing Chinese students and taking the economic hit. It is nasty, I would agree, but hardly so much as military or more direct action of any kind IMO. I don't disagree that a problem exists, but I still wouldn't go so far as calling it oppression as other countries still have a multitude of decent options for dealing with it. For the time being, anyway, and yes, that could change.

I've actually been digging for the thread where we had the conversation and couldn't find it, but I do distinctly remember being rather shocked at you saying something along the lines of "Russians and Chinese use tech to deceive populations as an instrument of realpolitik, why shouldn't the West?" My thought then as now was that there are some lines you can't cross if you're the "good" guy, and moreover some lines you shouldn't cross if humanity is going to get along in the ways that it simply needs to. The ways social media and the like have come along in the meantime only reinforce that belief for me.

If it can't be found you're going to have to take that on faith, though.

Economic warfare is the next stage in world domination.

Build a society and entire system on the almighty $$$.... i guess you get what you deserve.

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And if you're in a position where you have to know as much as you can because you have to understand where everyone is coming from, then you can't afford to filter either.

Yes, tricky. But good communication (science in particular) is a job of absolute necessity for a variety of reasons. Tbh that's why I'm glad we have folks like Sir David still good at fighting the good fight.

I'm a bit of a Prof Alice Roberts Fan myself :)

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The dispassionate tone of Doc's comment notwithstanding, the implication here is that you get your pleasure from other people being unhappy.  If you're capable of introspection I'd suggest you think about what that says about your character (or lack thereof).

It comes down to the mentality that this stuff is somehow a zero sum game; that everyone can't be happy or adequately addressed in life and so there must be people who are not. 

Just World Fallacy plays a large part, too - because if you're unhappy, you must have done something to deserve it, right?

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm a bit of a Prof Alice Roberts Fan myself :)

She's excellent too.

Good science communicators are more important now than possibly they've ever been.

lol 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/27/boy-11-referred-to-prevent-for-wanting-to-give-alms-to-the-oppressed

"The boy’s teacher asked what pupils would do if they found themselves in possession of a lot of money. According to a legal challenge against the school lodged by the boy’s parents, he said he would “give alms to the oppressed”. The teacher interpreted this as “give arms to the oppressed” and made the Prevent referral."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57754435

Got a grandstand a little in the courts before the day he ends up as the defendant himself.

They're trying to drum up cash from supporters to fund this, which undermines his billionaire credentials a bit, doesn't it? It's looking a bit desperate, even by his standards

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They're trying to drum up cash from supporters to fund this, which undermines his billionaire credentials a bit, doesn't it? It's looking a bit desperate, even by his standards

Why use your own money when there are so many mugs to cough up?