Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

:dunno:

At the end of the day, BLM is far less an organisation than it is a hash tag, an idea, a slogan or a movement. 

That someone has a twitter account posting generic, student, leftist political sentiments like cliché Palestine support under the BLM name doesn't really make it representative of the millions around the world that went out to march under that banner.

I appreciate its a common alt right Internet trick to post a few nutters, looters or thugs and use them to diminish the entire movement but it doesn't really wash. 

Sadly IMO it's a common trick because more often than not it does wash - look back through this thread and other threads on FT as well as out in the wider world and examples of such will present themselves.

I wish it wasn't so and there was more critical thinking going on, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So this random twitter account talks for all black people?

Just looking for a bit of clarity.

No, I don't think so as there was nothing in there to suggest it was anything other than his opinion on what black people want and I'm not sure why it would be thought otherwise.

Personally speaking though, though I have no hard data to hand, I'm inclined to think that the majority of black people Stateside are in more of a rush to no longer be the subject of institutionalised racism in a variety of places in the US and to no longer be killed disproportionately in number (and often in terms of response) by police who are by the nature of their work supposed to lack any such bias, than they are to see Aunt Jemima no longer on bottles of syrup.

That's just my hunch on what they might consider more important at the present time, though.

14 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So this random twitter account talks for all black people?

Just looking for a bit of clarity.

Well...

This random twitter account portrays as an individual with a point to make and this individual is saying what they think black people want but they are only representing their own opinion.

Other random Twitter accounts that purport to represent an entirely decentralised movement of people with deeply divisive political rhetoric is probably not representative of that movement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well...

This random twitter account portrays as an individual with a point to make and this individual is saying what they think black people want but they are only representing their own opinion.

Other random Twitter accounts that purport to represent an entirely decentralised movement of people with deeply divisive political rhetoric is probably not representative of that movement.

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

No, I don't think so as there was nothing in there to suggest it was anything other than his opinion on what black people want and I'm not sure why it would be thought otherwise.

Personally speaking though, though I have no hard data to hand, I'm inclined to think that the majority of black people Stateside are in more of a rush to no longer be the subject of institutionalised racism in a variety of places in the US and to no longer be killed disproportionately in number (and often in terms of response) by police who are by the nature of their work supposed to lack any such bias, than they are to see Aunt Jemima no longer on bottles of syrup.

That's just my hunch on what they might consider more important at the present time, though.

Interesting stuff, cheers guys.

Gonna go tell ukblm that they don't actually represent black people and see what happens for the lulz. :D

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Interesting stuff, cheers guys.

Gonna go tell ukblm that they don't actually represent black people and see what happens for the lulz. :D

To be honest that likely isn't far off being true anyway, or at least perhaps the majority thereof anyway - Finn makes some excellent points why upstream.

FWIW as an aside I also think it's true that the whole discussion in many places has been hijacked or at least attempted to be diverted by those who want to discredit the entire movement and maintain the status quo for their own gain - again, as above.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

To be honest that likely isn't far off being true anyway, or at least perhaps the majority thereof anyway - Finn makes some excellent points why upstream.

FWIW as an aside I also think it's true that the whole discussion in many places has been hijacked or at least attempted to be diverted by those who want to discredit the entire movement and maintain the status quo for their own gain - again, as above.

Interesting. And good points tbf, it does seem like there is a lot of discrediting going around. However, I'd point out that this ukblm has been in operation since 2016, personally I find it hard to believe they've simply been playing the long game of trying to bust a greater movement.

Saying that, I think it needs pointing out that my personal issues stem from this ukblm and not blm as a whole.

Rental e-scooters will become legal on roads in Great Britain from Saturday, in a bid to ease pressure on public transport amid the coronavirus crisis.

The Department for Transport (DfT) said the first rentable e-scooters could be available next week, as it published guidance for e-scooter-for-hire firms.

The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets.

Privately owned e-scooters remain illegal on roads.

Under the new rules set out by the DfT, local authorities and devolved administrations in England, Scotland and Wales can allow or run e-scooter sharing schemes in their areas as part of 12-month trials.

Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

On 29/06/2020 at 02:40, Innovindil said:

Hey hey hey. This verified official BLM twitter might not represent the goals of all BLM members. You have to remember that BLM doesn't have official leaders, just random individuals. 

/s

:facepalm:

I assume that Boris and everything he says, is representative of all British people.

9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Interesting. And good points tbf, it does seem like there is a lot of discrediting going around. However, I'd point out that this ukblm has been in operation since 2016, personally I find it hard to believe they've simply been playing the long game of trying to bust a greater movement.

Saying that, I think it needs pointing out that my personal issues stem from this ukblm and not blm as a whole.

I doubt they've been playing the long game either, much more likely they're being what might uncharitably be called "useful idiots". Either way, eyes need to stay on the prize.

6 hours ago, Benguin said:

Glad you and others are realising this now. Movement regressed so much, time to get it back in track. 

I can only speak for myself here, but I would hope my posting throughout this thread indicates rather strongly that my focus has always been on the inordinate police brutality and systemic racism, as evidenced by the multiple times I've tried to put it back on track when it has been derailed. Evidently that wasn't clear enough.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Wait Master Bedroom is racist? Really?

Only if you're setting up a strawman and want to distract.

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Crazy days when the death of Hong Kong doesn't even make the FT news thread tbh. Damn shame. Thought they had more time. 

There is so much crazy going on in the world that some things that might other wise be headline news are getting pushed to onside. 
The China India conflict and fights hardly got a mention. 
The Singapore Prime Minister’s family fued is pretty entertaining, but I haven’t seen in it mentioned anywhere.

And Australia just casually purchased a few long range missiles today as an MP compared China to Nazi Germany.

Now is certainly the time to sweep things under the carpet without a mention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Who saw this coming?

I would think that it's fine to endorse the goals of the original movement (which, again, some folks are seeming to forget for purposes unknown) while not being ready to endorse what the offshoots and distractions are up to.

Can't see anything wrong here.

41 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Crazy days when the death of Hong Kong doesn't even make the FT news thread tbh. Damn shame. Thought they had more time. 

I think it's because China haven't rolled in with the heavy machinery, and while what's going on might be thought of as a legislative coup d'etat rather than a directly physical one, it's going to be fought tooth and nail and so it isn't the death of Hong Kong for the time being.

Black Lives Matter is a dangerous, one sided political movement with some really warped ideas. Defunding the police? Really? People jumped on the band wagon without actually understanding what on earth it stands for. No different to joining the EDL thinking you are protecting Brtiains values. Actually you are joining a far right, racist bunch of small minded people.

Whilst the idea "black lives matter" is correct, there should be no endorsement of the group whatsoever and the premier league needs to back off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think it's because China haven't rolled in with the heavy machinery, and while what's going on might be thought of as a legislative coup d'etat rather than a directly physical one, it's going to be fought tooth and nail and so it isn't the death of Hong Kong for the time being.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53244862

First couple of people already arrested under the new law. Iirc I read somewhere if found guilty its minimum 3 years in prison, maximum life sentence. With pro-democracy hong kongers already melting into the shadows I don't expect there to be anyone left to fight soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

There is so much crazy going on in the world that some things that might other wise be headline news are getting pushed to onside. 
The China India conflict and fights hardly got a mention. 
The Singapore Prime Minister’s family fued is pretty entertaining, but I haven’t seen in it mentioned anywhere.

And Australia just casually purchased a few long range missiles today as an MP compared China to Nazi Germany.

Now is certainly the time to sweep things under the carpet without a mention.

Was thinking myself that Russia, China & USA, all batshit crazy.

5 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Was thinking myself that Russia, China & USA, all batshit crazy.

USA have got a batshit crazy president but it's looking like he'll lose and I still reckon they're an extremely sane nation compared to most of the world.

We love to bash America to deflect from our own massive problems. 

• Like 2