Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Black Lives Matter is a dangerous, one sided political movement with some really warped ideas. Defunding the police? Really? People jumped on the band wagon without actually understanding what on earth it stands for. No different to joining the EDL thinking you are protecting Brtiains values. Actually you are joining a far right, racist bunch of small minded people.

Whilst the idea "black lives matter" is correct, there should be no endorsement of the group whatsoever and the premier league needs to back off.

As my reply above tbh, as well as saying again that the message really is getting fragmented either accidentally or deliberately, and putting forward that point that the police in the US probably don't need to be as militarized as they sometimes are and so perhaps don't need all of the massive budgets they sometimes have.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53244862

First couple of people already arrested under the new law. Iirc I read somewhere if found guilty its minimum 3 years in prison, maximum life sentence. With pro-democracy hong kongers already melting into the shadows I don't expect there to be anyone left to fight soon enough. 

I hope that you're wrong and that the HKers will not take this lying down and there is still some fight left, but I couldn't be sure about that. I guess only time will tell.

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

USA have got a batshit crazy president but it's looking like he'll lose and I still reckon they're an extremely sane nation compared to most of the world.

We love to bash America to deflect from our own massive problems. 

IMO the US varies by degrees of "sanity" based on location, and the problem is that often the rather less "sane" parts are able through various mechanisms to exert an inordinate amount of influence over the more "sane" ones.

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Crazy days when the death of Hong Kong doesn't even make the FT news thread tbh. Damn shame. Thought they had more time. 

Glad I had the privilege of visiting now, we always knew this was going to happen but unfortunately China went back on the agreement and did this early, sad to see the last democratic region of China be lost.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

:dunno:. This is why the word racist has just lost all of it's meaning, it makes me sick.

It hasn't.

It still has its meaning.

People misusing it (like above) just discredit it and actually do those who suffer real racism a disservice.

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

:dunno:. This is why the word racist has just lost all of it's meaning, it makes me sick.

I just listened to that interview linked to the tweet and am flabbergasted that at some point people have voted for this lady. 
She comes across as thick and to follow up being called out on this with labelling someone who calls her out as racist is beyond belief from an elected official. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

It hasn't.

It still has its meaning.

People misusing it (like above) just discredit it and actually do those who suffer real racism a disservice.

This, but the more people like this misuse the word the less meaning it has.

It’s an incredibly powerful words and one of the worst things you could be labeled with, but every time someone uses it in a context like this a little bit of that power is taken away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/07/01/john-lewis-stores-will-not-reopen/

'Some John Lewis stores will never reopen as staff bonus faces the chop'

'Up to 18 of the chain's 50 department stores may stay closed permanently, while upmarket rival Harrods is cutting 700 jobs'

Be a massive loss to Leicester if ours was to go, feels like a flagship, mind - though I've only ever been in / seen Nottinghams (in the Vicky Centre, shite) and Leeds (fantastic) efforts, so I've no idea what's par for the course with them. 

We're not that affluent a city, main concern with that one.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Sad 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53258792

"....look, Don, if you don't start wearing a mask and telling other people to do so, you're going to lose in November."

"What, really? Oh, alright then."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53255964

Who was it that said that democracy was a short-lived idea? Two out of the three major world powers are now essentially autocracies and the third is being run by a guy who would like theirs to be so too and many people who agree with him.

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I just listened to that interview linked to the tweet and am flabbergasted that at some point people have voted for this lady. 
She comes across as thick and to follow up being called out on this with labelling someone who calls her out as racist is beyond belief from an elected official. 

It is amazing that someone so ill equipped to deal with an obvious question can be selected to be the candidate.  Less amazing that she was elected.

Wonder what Trumps supporters will say now he has (been forced to) back masks? Is there own president squashing their constitutional rights?

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Disgusting - If it in turn would not be considered racist (TM) then she should be struck off

9 hours ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

😂😂😂 What a joke she is. Christ.

Well she’s not is she because today’s philosophy is about air time. Doesn’t matter what someone says or does because for everyone disagreeing with someone there’s always someone agreeing with them. Ban twitter etc and some of these idiots will go away

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Genocide and concentration camps against people of a specific ethnic and religious group by the ruling party. A ruling party which is against religion, targeting a specific religion as a start, and was focused on brainwashing the masses Into having absolute loyalty towards the nation and the ruling party. 

The picture is only missing a small mustache and superiority complex (don't know about the mustache but the superiority complex is highly likely to surface in the future)

• Like 1