Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Easy to say they aren't related because the "party-goers" weren't flying BLM flags but let's be honest, with the amount of anti-police rhetoric doing the rounds it would be hard to envisage that it doesn't have some effect on last night's outcome. 

Hopefully whoever is running the latest BLM twitter feed comes out and reminds everyone that black lives mattering starts, ironically, with black lives. 

True enough, but inference isn't proof.

It might not matter anyway though because in this case peoples perception might be more important than the fact.

6 minutes ago, iniesta said:

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2020/06/brixton-black-lives-matter-live-music-protest-windrush-square-weds-24th-june-2020/

I imagine it's just a coincidence though. The media would surely have reported a connection. 

I mean, IMO it's uncertain either way and there's no way to be sure - the media certainly haven't been afraid to point out the provenance of BLM actions up until now.

As above, the whole thing is getting frustrating because there's so much of a smokescreen being laid down that the real and actionable issue (addressing discriminatory institutions in the US) is being missed - which is both sad and not really acceptable.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Easy to say they aren't related because the "party-goers" weren't flying BLM flags but let's be honest, with the amount of anti-police rhetoric doing the rounds it would be hard to envisage that it doesn't have some effect on last night's outcome. 

Hopefully whoever is running the latest BLM twitter feed comes out and reminds everyone that black lives mattering starts, ironically, with black lives. 

Yeah I suppose events are a consequence of the anti police story and certian people now think it's ok to do what they like to the police. I suppose I meant not linked, as in not an organised BLM event although I didn't check whether that was the case to be honest.

Either way it doesn't help their cause. 

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

True enough, but inference isn't proof.

It might not matter anyway though because in this case peoples perception might be more important than the fact.

I mean, IMO it's uncertain either way and there's no way to be sure - the media certainly haven't been afraid to point out the provenance of BLM actions up until now.

As above, the whole thing is getting frustrating because there's so much of a smokescreen being laid down that the real and actionable issue (addressing discriminatory institutions in the US) is being missed - which is both sad and not really acceptable.

I would argue the media have been very lenient in their reporting of BLM.  

Im shocked the BBC haven't reported the issues last night as a largely peaceful street party. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I know its MSNBC, who are not exactly without bias, but...

image.thumb.png.8013a9f81600e253bc26ac8b54c532f7.png

That is some disgraceful stuff if true.

There's a similar graph on the CV thread from a different source that corroborates this, I think.

1 minute ago, iniesta said:

I would argue the media have been very lenient in their reporting of BLM.  

Im shocked the BBC haven't reported the issues last night as a largely peaceful street party. 

It's certainly plausible that they have been lenient in their slant towards the aims of BLM, but I certainly haven't seen them back away from saying or inferring that they were the reason behind various events that have been reported on.

But again, the method may well be totally disagreeable (and likely counterproductive) but the cause for it is real and it isn't going away without action being taken against it.

As it happens, on the above:

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2020/06/24/fired-wilmington-cop-we-are-just-going-to-go-out-and-start-slaughtering-them-f-ni-i-cant-wait-god-i-cant-wait-free-read/

This isn't some rando with a Twitter account. This is someone who, until recently, held state-sanctioned power up to and including life and death of another human being so long as a situation could be spun as "exigent".

And this is just one that is on record. How many might be the same off record?

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

London is an absolute shithole, **** knows why anyone wants to move anywhere near all that. Blokes running around slashing each other:doh:

Kinda what sadly happens when millionaire developers duck £40 million community levy aimed at improving the surrounding area 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Kinda what sadly happens when millionaire developers duck £40 million community levy aimed at improving the surrounding area 

Anybody else think that the original blm was middle class black student type people moment. The intelligent drug dealing community have seen this as an opportunity to create areas where they can make even more money and the local community are the ones that will suffer the most.

9 hours ago, simFox said:

It wasn't a noose it's a bowline, a handle fashioned into a rope to make using it easier to use for the purpose intended. It was there for years and photographed in use by other users of the garage, before bubba decided it was noose, as confirmed by the 15 FBI agents.

But according to bubba, it's still a noose (after he was told it wasn't)

A bowline? You know that a noose is a running bowline (according to Google).

The point is anyone without a degree in knots will look at that and see a noose. Now there might be a technicality that means it isn't a noose it's a different type of bowline, but anyone with a basic knowledge of knots will see that and see a noose. There was no attempt by anyone to invent a noose where nothing was there. If it was a reef knot or granny knot and he said it was a noose then he would be wrong. He thought something that looked exactly like a noose was a noose. He and his mainly white team and the whole majority white Nascar organization saw the same thing.

They were wrong, he's agreed that and said he's glad he was wrong and thankful for all the support he got.

I don't understand your issue. He has said exactly what you accused him of not saying and the only thing he is now saying is that it was a "noose" and it wasn't made up, he didn't overreact he reached a fairly understandable conclusion that was wrong. The reason why he is having to say that is because some people are now accusing him of making it all up.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I'm not sure how anything different could be expected, really.

The social Darwinism is the point.

Yet alas this outlook is reliant on our excusing or turning our eyes away from such actions. :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/nascar-releases-photo-of-noose-in-bubba-wallace-garage/12397248

NASCAR asked officials at every track to check their garages this week. Out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot, Phelps said, and the only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace's Number 43 stall.

A small noose hangs from the ceiling in a room next to a garage stall

Edited by ozleicester

23 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/nascar-releases-photo-of-noose-in-bubba-wallace-garage/12397248

NASCAR asked officials at every track to check their garages this week. Out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot, Phelps said, and the only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace's Number 43 stall.

A small noose hangs from the ceiling in a room next to a garage stall

Not sure what this article is even saying. Who said it wasn't a noose? The whole debacle is that it was put there as an attack against bubba, since it has been there for months and bubba getting assigned that garage was sheer bad luck and I don't understand why anyone is still trying to make it into something it's not. 

Forget it and move on imo. 

24 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not sure what this article is even saying. Who said it wasn't a noose? The whole debacle is that it was put there as an attack against bubba, since it has been there for months and bubba getting assigned that garage was sheer bad luck and I don't understand why anyone is still trying to make it into something it's not. 

Forget it and move on imo. 

I will refer you to page 72 of this thread.

Edit - Unnecessary

Edited by ozleicester

23 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I will refer you to page 72 of this thread.

Edit - Unnecessary

Yep. Some random on FoxesTalk said it was a bowline. Quick someone call the cops (not the shooty ones) he made a mistake. 

So what point are you making exactly? Whether it was a noose or not isn't the issue. The issue is that it wasn't targeted at bubba, it couldn't have been targeted at bubba and the entire story is a giant nothing burger born out of heightened racial tensions. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Yep. Some random on FoxesTalk said it was a bowline. Quick someone call the cops (not the shooty ones) he made a mistake. 

So what point are you making exactly? Whether it was a noose or not isn't the issue. The issue is that it wasn't targeted at bubba, it couldn't have been targeted at bubba and the entire story is a giant nothing burger born out of heightened racial tensions. 

Yes,  and i responded on foxestalk.

If you read the article, there is some suggestion that it WAS targeted at Bubba.

9 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Yes,  and i responded on foxestalk.

If you read the article, there is some suggestion that it WAS targeted at Bubba.

... Where? All I can see is this bit. Obviously, I might not have enough braincells to get "there is some suggestion that it WAS targeted at Bubba" from a US attorney and fbi special agent both saying it was a nothing burger. lol

Earlier this week, authorities said the rope had been hanging there since the Cup Series race last October and thus was not a hate crime targeting the 26-year-old Wallace.

US Attorney Jay Town and FBI Special Agent in Charge Johnnie Sharp Jr. said "nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned" to that same stall.

If anyone is willing to answer, I'm curious as to the overall importance of the "noose" incident now that it's been established it's most likely an unfortunate coincidence?

The issue that began all this isn't going away, and indeed seems to be deadlocked in an utterly dysfunctional US government apparatus, while all of this is happening.

I mean, yeah, it's possible to focus on more than one thing at a time and all that can be done on here is chew the fat, but at the risk of repeating myself, the amount of attention being focused on something that seemingly.now has little relevance to the big issue is a mite worrying.