Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Why have the government stopped doing this?

Small print:

4a01f94b6ff11a9377b3879462730fb9.png

People were getting confused between number of tests/number of people tested. So they have removed half of it so people can't get angry about seeing different figures from different sources.

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Small print:

4a01f94b6ff11a9377b3879462730fb9.png

People were getting confused between number of tests/number of people tested. So they have removed half of it so people can't get angry about seeing different figures from different sources.

Surely their source is most reliable?

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Surely their source is most reliable?

It is, but not everyone goes hunting for these things. One newspaper reporting x people tested, one reporting x tests carried out. One person sees both and goes wtf WHO BE LYIN DOE. 

Why bother. Stick to one figure and no one is getting needlessly combobulated. 

• Haha 2

On 27/05/2020 at 15:27, Silebyfox_89 said:

Still get the feeling there are a few countries who are still under reporting the true death toll: Italy, Spain, Russia, China etc.....

Get the feeling ..... I have no doubt you are right.  Here in Spain the initial way the home care service was handled was appalling.  This was revealed early and resulted in the subsequent collation of figures being more accurate (did not take Spain to catch up on Italy’s death rate).  However, home care here is different from UK as regards to who receives it - the extended family culture means that take up is nowhere near the same percentage as in the UK.

So, providing there is no further skeletons in the cupboard, the death rate here has probably been correct for some weeks as the administrative and capability processes improve.  If anything, there has been signs of over-reporting resulting in a significant re-alignment earlier this week for double counting!!!

I notice that Silebyfox did not include Belgium in his round up of under reporting countries.  I noted many weeks ago it received plaudits for its reporting - it hid nothing.  I would imagine this gives its people a proper confidence about the impact of the disease.  Belgium, the country with the most coronavirus deaths in Europe (per million of the population).  Really?

We all need to be wary of the statistics put before us.  Put simply, the figures I look at continually are - deaths per million of the national population, the amount of people still in intensive care (UK never updates this - worldometers) and the average deaths for the time of the year.  It is this latter point where the UK figure make uncomfortable reading but is not being revealed openly to the public as the daily briefings become more and more political spin in an attempt to re-assure us.

Be very wary of international comparisons.  Be wary of the “spin” you are sold.  I have always found gut instinct to be a very good barometer.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Given my earlier post, a week or so ago when I heard 177,000 tests had been carried out the previous day I thought “wow - that’s bloody tremendous“ only to look here and find out the 177,000 tests were only conducted on 60,000 people.  To say I was outraged by this complicity was an understatement.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

It is, but not everyone goes hunting for these things. One newspaper reporting x people tested, one reporting x tests carried out. One person sees both and goes wtf WHO BE LYIN DOE. 

Why bother. Stick to one figure and no one is getting needlessly combobulated. 

6 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Given my earlier post, a week or so ago when I heard 177,000 tests had been carried out the previous day I thought “wow - that’s bloody tremendous“ only to look here and find out the 177,000 tests were only conducted on 60,000 people.  To say I was outraged by this complicity was an understatement.

Case in point. Some people seem under the impression that the test is 100%. Doctors can overrule the result if they disagree with it and get their patient tested again, some high risk potentials will have 2 tests carried out simultaneously, one swab from the nose and one from the throat, and some people who tested negative will then go on to actually get infected and be tested a second time, but not added to the head count.

Combobulated. 

15 hours ago, Nalis said:

Thats why I think rolling out antibody tests are crucial somewhere like London as most people who worked in central London this year up to lockdown probably had it already, which would nullify the necessity isolate over and over.

17% of Londoners have had the virus.

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yep seems odd to make that six persons announcement today as well

It's being done for political not scientific reasons. It helps dilute the DC story.

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

And parks maintaining the social distancing as well? 

Yes it would be good if these announcements can not be made on Thursdays for the following Monday. With good weather I feel it gives too much temptation to the public to do it over the weekend. 

Why can't it just be announced on a Monday?! Or Sunday evening? 

So we all feel happy and 'move on' from a particular story.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Because Johnson has claimed that test, track and trace will be in place by Monday and we know the figures aren't what they promised at this stage?

Someone mentioned earlier that it won't work perfectly till the end of June?

• Like 1

This won’t go away people ......if we don’t keep apart then it’s back .....there’s no question.  With the new 14 day isolation trace rules, I think it’s ridiculous that still govt don’t insist on facemasks inside buildings and on public transport ?? People who need to work won’t stay home for two weeks on the basis that they were with someone for twenty minutes a few days ago ....

More than 200 schools have closed just days after they re-opened in South Korea after a spike in coronavirus cases.

Some 56 new cases of Covid-19 have been recorded in the past 24 hours, down from a two-month high yesterday of 79 - but the concern is that these infections are close to highly populated areas.

Most of the new cases are linked to a distribution centre in Bucheon, just west of Seoul. The warehouse is run by the country’s biggest e-commerce firm, Coupang, and officials have said the facility was not strictly complying with infection control measures.

Health officials even discovered traces of Covid-19 on workers' shoes and clothes. They have managed to track, trace and test thousands of employees from the centre and there will be further checks on other distribution facilities across the country over the next two weeks.

The fear of infections has forced 251 schools in Bucheon to close after reopening, while hundreds of others have had their reopening delayed.

A student in Seoul, whose mother worked at the Coupang warehouse, was also found to have the virus. Health authorities have re-imposed some restrictions and called for a tighter social distancing campaign over the next two weeks.

12 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

No difference for those of us who are shielding, which is understandable at the moment. Hopefully we will get some good news soon too. 

I think that they could have done something.  If the figures presented at the briefings are to be believed and the science is to be believed, then only one person in a thousand has Covid-19.  And many of them will be self-isolating, or in hospital, or in a care setting so the proportion in the general population will be lower.  Combine that with the fact that it is difficult to catch the virus outdoors provided that social distancing is maintained and the fact that isolation decreases both physical and mental well-being.  I really can't see the justification for keeping the 'extremely vulnerable' group in their houses;  I can see a logic in not allowing them in enclosed public places where the risk of transmission increases.

Relaxing the lockdown simply increases the period that the extremely vulnerable will be asked to self-isolate.  I can't help thinking that we've been 'written off', but maybe that's my deteriorating mental state.

9 hours ago, zorro en españa said:

It's probably been mentioned before, but what does it really matter?   A test, is a test, is a test.

Some people in high risk occupations, will no doubt have lots of tests, and (hopefully) keep getting a negative result.

It's still an activity ... the test has to be prepared, someone has to perform it, and analyse it, etc.

What is this obsession with splitting hairs?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

This won’t go away people ......if we don’t keep apart then it’s back .....there’s no question.  With the new 14 day isolation trace rules, I think it’s ridiculous that still govt don’t insist on facemasks inside buildings and on public transport ?? People who need to work won’t stay home for two weeks on the basis that they were with someone for twenty minutes a few days ago ....

More than 200 schools have closed just days after they re-opened in South Korea after a spike in coronavirus cases.

Some 56 new cases of Covid-19 have been recorded in the past 24 hours, down from a two-month high yesterday of 79 - but the concern is that these infections are close to highly populated areas.

Most of the new cases are linked to a distribution centre in Bucheon, just west of Seoul. The warehouse is run by the country’s biggest e-commerce firm, Coupang, and officials have said the facility was not strictly complying with infection control measures.

Health officials even discovered traces of Covid-19 on workers' shoes and clothes. They have managed to track, trace and test thousands of employees from the centre and there will be further checks on other distribution facilities across the country over the next two weeks.

The fear of infections has forced 251 schools in Bucheon to close after reopening, while hundreds of others have had their reopening delayed.

A student in Seoul, whose mother worked at the Coupang warehouse, was also found to have the virus. Health authorities have re-imposed some restrictions and called for a tighter social distancing campaign over the next two weeks.

I tend to agree however you can't keep going on like this unless there is a vaccine.

I do wonder why no one has gone down the line of at risk or not at risk and had different guidelines around that. Maybe that's because the data we've seen hasn't been checked or it is incredibly hard to police and there are still pockets that are very vunerable. If you're under 45 it's no greater risk than anything else in life. I imagine largely these decisions are being made by over 45 and particularly in this country, men so they're hardly likely to do that.

Liverpool's deputy mayor has stepped down following a photo seen of her having a gathering in her back garden (behave). 

She 'voluntarily' stepped down. 

Edit: forgot to say she's Labour. 

Edited by StanSP

40 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Liverpool's deputy mayor has stepped down following a photo seen of her having a gathering in her back garden (behave). 

It's getting to the point where I am starting to feel like an idiot for completely abiding by the rules. Oh well... bigger picture and all that... 

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It's getting to the point where I am starting to feel like an idiot for completely abiding by the rules. Oh well... bigger picture and all that... 

Same here. Haven't seen any friends in nearly 3 months, no relatives, venturing out to the shops once a week where there's little to no organisation. Helping out volunteering but distancing is impossible. I tell myself it's only 6 or so people in there though and it's a good cause.

Yet I see a neighbour the other day just having random people over her house and the high ups having the tenacity to do what they do. Just feels pointless and like I'm sacrificing for no reason. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Well you’re not an idiot, you should pat yourself on the back and know that you haven’t contributed to taking up vital NHS time whilst keeping your loved ones and strangers alike safe. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Same here. Haven't seen any friends in nearly 3 months, no relatives, venturing out to the shops once a week where there's little to no organisation. Helping out volunteering but distancing is impossible. I tell myself it's only 6 or so people in there though and it's a good cause.

Yet I see a neighbour the other day just having random people over her house and the high ups having the tenacity to do what they do. Just feels pointless and like I'm sacrificing for no reason. 

Thankfully everyone around here is abiding by the rules, otherwise it would really bug me. Hope you get to catch up with friends soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

If she had stepped down before the photo, I would have been more impressed. (but once again politics is being brought up in this channel the previous one was shut down because of political posts)

but this may be a glimmer of light on the horizon

https://www.timesofisrael.com/head-of-pfizer-pharmaceuticals-says-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-october/