Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, simFox said:

Jesus, that's old news. Its been known for a long time that catching a type of dengue fever leaves you more susceptible to severe disease if you catch one of the other 3 types.

Well I didn’t say the Dengue fever thing was new information. It was discussed here ages ago. I thought some people might appreciate an expert’s insight into what the hold up might be with the Oxford vaccine trial and why it was stopped. Not all of us are as clever as you are.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

by the end of next week we will be seeing if there has been big transmissions in schools  - I wonder what percentage will be schooling from home  in some kind of isolation by the end of September ?

The graphs I seen from yesterday's briefing showed ages 0-10 has the highest. 

I read something along the lines of 150 schools already in part closed due to outbreaks. 

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This won't go on. 

The government will.lose the people. In fact, I think they lost the people in May and loosened lockdown as a reactive  consequence. Leicester remained in  (supposed) lockdown as some kind of example.

and it largely worked in frightening other places into behaving. However, When it became obvious in Leicester nobody gave a flying fack after 4 weeks and businesses on the brink of bankruptcy threatened to.open anyway...hey presto! Lockdown Leicester was eased. 

December will see any semblance of lockdown in tatters, regardless of numbers. The UK (and western world)  won't jack in Xmas for anything or anyone. Period.

There was no people to lose in Leicester its a Labour stronghold. ;)  Hence it was picked for the social experiment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't understand how this is gonna prevent the spread? All that'll happen is lads will go boozing at 8am until 10pm, rather than 12pm till 2am.

As Panini said, people won't take much more of this, with every new restriction or rule the Government lose more and more support.

All they need to do is reimplement 2m rule, and keep schools and hospitality closed.

Meanwhile Hancock is blaming the young, whilst he "paid" people to spread the virus (50% off eat out scheme).

15 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Makes no difference to me really, as generally don't have social gatherings larger than 6 lol 

People who have broken social distancing rules will continue to do so regardless. I feel for genuine people who may have made every effort to socially distance when in groups, and organise parties etc that take this into account. 

If we went back to only testing people who were seriously ill and in hospital, would there be any type of lockdown? I'm not sure there would be. 

A lot of it is just the government being seen to be doing something. 

We wouldnt have had the local lockdowns, as it would have been a out of sight out of mind thing, but we would be still heading for trouble now as hospital admissions and deaths have increased again.

The new restrictions will undoubtedly have a negative effect in the economy just as some businesses are beginning to dig themselves out of the hole they’ve ended up in 

I hope all those that were unable to follow the guidelines through late July and August won’t be those that suffer with the additional lost jobs and parents with lost jobs ......

23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Average age of death (anyone dying due to COVID) in the UK is 83.3 years old according to Professor Karol Sikora.

If this is true, I’m not doubting it, it shows how much the leaders have lost the plot.  Let’s ruin our children’s education and our economy for what? 

Don't get why people under 50 would want a vaccine that's been rushed through, I'm no anti vaxxer I've had everything growing up and happy I have done but not sure I'd be waltzing in to get a covid vaccine considering if I catch it in the first place the chances of it negatively affecting me is slim and all this panicked rush to get it ready to roll out has me much more nervous than the virus itself. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The new restrictions will undoubtedly have a negative effect in the economy just as some businesses are beginning to dig themselves out of the hole they’ve ended up in 

I hope all those that were unable to follow the guidelines through late July and August won’t be those that suffer with the additional lost jobs and parents with lost jobs ......

do you honestly think this is just down to people not following guidelines? We had people not following guidelines during the period the numbers were dropping, the changes in the numbers can be seen very close to policy changes from government.

I think its because things were opened up too quickly, schools and hospitality the two big ones.

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't get why people under 50 would want a vaccine that's been rushed through, I'm no anti vaxxer I've had everything growing up and happy I have done but not sure I'd be waltzing in to get a covid vaccine considering if I catch it in the first place the chances of it negatively affecting me is slim and all this panicked rush to get it ready to roll out has me much more nervous than the virus itself. 

You think a vaccine is higher risk than catching the virus in its native form?

Just now, Chrysalis said:

You think a vaccine is higher risk than catching the virus in its native form?

As a relatively healthy 34 year old, probably, yeah, if the vaccine is being rushed through and governments and institutions all over the world are in a race to say 'we made it first!', which clearly they are, I don't trust all the necessary precautions to make sure, at least the first few batches of them, have been properly considered in the long term. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

As a relatively healthy 34 year old, probably, yeah, if the vaccine is being rushed through and governments and institutions all over the world are in a race to say 'we made it first!', which clearly they are, I don't trust all the necessary precautions to make sure, at least the first few batches of them, have been properly considered in the long term. 

Vaccine is a planned conspiracy  by all the Govts...To bring the populations down with an even more intensive Covid.

They want all the Holiday Resorts for themselves,except Clacton & Margate!!:(

27 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

There's something in this, which simply says to me just how stupid we are leaving such an important task to nationalistic member-waving.

33 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

My missus is a singer and she's just started gigging again, had a really busy October lined up but now everything has been cancelled so she's out of pocket a good few grand, what is the government going to do to help her? F all, it's utter bollocks. 

Yeah, that is sh it mate. The events and gigging sort of industry is in pieces.

I feel a bit pi ssed off too because I'm effectively self-employed, albeit salaried by a limited company, which I own. Those like me have slipped through the net basically.

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

My missus is a singer and she's just started gigging again, had a really busy October lined up but now everything has been cancelled so she's out of pocket a good few grand, what is the government going to do to help her? F all, it's utter bollocks. 

All the best for her mate.

One of my mates has just told me his business has pulled the plug, they'll be shutting down at the end of October.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

But surely we've had 6 months to prepare for this? Half of the hospitals built purely for Coronavirus have been dismantled haven't they, without anyone even using them?

You are talking about it as we view it now.

The decisions were made to closed schools and subsequently workplaces in March. I've read the original post as why did we close down back in March? It's only now we are aware of how it affects senior persons more than others - we now have most workplaces and schools back open. 

Hospitals are all still in position. Half of them wisely used for other services to allow avoid patients visiting Covid-infected areas. Speaking to NHS staff a few weeks back, there was a quiet delight it never got to that stage of utilising the Nightingales, as there was not enough qualified staff and it would have been disastrous. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I think the main risk is that it basically ends up giving you the full virus because they didnt weaken it properly?  So on that basis I would consider it safer than getting the virus, but of course you can avoid getting it entirely by sheltering yourself.

Interestingly I am noticing across the internet, the same people that thought Leicester residents should stop moaning and suck up the restrictions are now moaning because those restrictions may apply to them, the good old "im alright jack" kicking in.

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You are talking about it as we view it now.

The decisions were made to closed schools and subsequently workplaces in March. I've read the original post as why did we close down back in March? It's only now we are aware of how it affects senior persons more than others - we now have most workplaces and schools back open. 

Hospitals are all still in position. Half of them wisely used for other services to allow avoid patients visiting Covid-infected areas. Speaking to NHS staff a few weeks back, there was a quiet delight it never got to that stage of utilising the Nightingales, as there was not enough qualified staff and it would have been disastrous. 

Ah apologies I was reading it as shutting everything down again.

Like you say its good that they weren't used, don't know why they've apparently been dismantled though, surely we should have started training staff months ago, as it looks like this virus will still be around next year.

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

To avoid the medical services being overwhelmed - always the real goal here and often missed. 

Back in April I was in favour of what was happening. I’m talking about now where we all know a lot more about this virus. A short lockdown initially to get prepared was important.  Killing business now is wrong. Telling year 11 kids to self isolate for 14 days because of a case in a school is wrong, which has happened in Groby, is threatening to ruin children’s exam chances.  

• Like 3