Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But if you're a key worker, in a hospital for instance, that might have been around someone who did have COVID, you'd want to get tested wouldn't you? Even if you weren't displaying symptoms, it makes sense as a key worker (given the environment you're in) to make sure you don't have COVID...?

If it isn't limited to only people expressing symptoms, what are they moaning about? The issue being perhaps there needs to be checks, or better checks, on who can get tested?

My point being, if you allow a system where anyone can get tested, people will want to get tested to make sure they don't have it? 

Ffs man. IF YOU ARE A KEY WORKER YOU CAN GET TESTED WHENEVER THE HELL YOU WANT. 

It IS limited to NON-KEY WORKERS who are NOT expressing symptoms. That is why they are moaning. But there's no way apart from people's own braincells to stop every Tom dick and Harry signing up for a test. 

Of course every hypochondriac will want to get tested, this is what they are moaning about. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Ffs man. IF YOU ARE A KEY WORKER YOU CAN GET TESTED WHENEVER THE HELL YOU WANT. 

It IS limited to NON-KEY WORKERS who are NOT expressing symptoms. That is why they are moaning. But there's no way apart from people's own braincells to stop every Tom dick and Harry signing up for a test. 

Of course every hypochondriac will want to get tested, this is what they are moaning about. :facepalm:

Alright chill out.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Backs up my point that everyone wants their selfish version of lockdown rather than whats good for society as whole.

Pretty much split in half on the government aren't doing enough/the government are doing too much now. 

Should be fun. Been far to long since this country was divided. lol

Makes no difference to me really, as generally don't have social gatherings larger than 6 lol 

People who have broken social distancing rules will continue to do so regardless. I feel for genuine people who may have made every effort to socially distance when in groups, and organise parties etc that take this into account. 

If we went back to only testing people who were seriously ill and in hospital, would there be any type of lockdown? I'm not sure there would be. 

A lot of it is just the government being seen to be doing something. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 3

Honestly I don't think it's a doom and gloom as this I thought this morning.

The boom which happened in Manchester a few weeks ago has spread across to mainly Leeds, Birmingham and Liverpool, so obviously cases are going to massively increase as they're 3 big cities, but I don't think we're back to square one. It's just the kick up the arse we all needed to control this beast yet keep control of our lives.

I include Glasgow in this too.

Edited by Lionator

According to the British Medical Journal what Boris was referring to is a plan to spend 100 billion on the testing expansion in 2021 ?!   

That might be enough to literally fund a moon landing.  Surely that cannot be correct?

The plan is to test everyone in the country once a week in order to return to a completely normal life...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-uk-plans-100-billion-expansion-of-testing-in-2021/

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3520

23 minutes ago, Stivo said:

According to the British Medical Journal what Boris was referring to is a plan to spend 100 billion on the testing expansion in 2021 ?!   

That might be enough to literally fund a moon landing.  Surely that cannot be correct?

The plan is to test everyone in the country once a week in order to return to a completely normal life...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-uk-plans-100-billion-expansion-of-testing-in-2021/

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3520

And what happens when someone flies in from a different country with it? Back to square one.

We either need a vaccine or develop some form of immunity and just live with it.

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

And what happens when someone flies in from a different country with it? Back to square one.

We either need a vaccine or develop some form of immunity and just live with it.

I not saying that I think it a practical or a good idea...

but I guess the plan would then be to test everyone at the airport ( hopefully with a 20 minutes saliva testing).  They will have to report  for another test after a week, everyone they meet will already have to get their weekly test and so it is quashed quickly.  

I imagine you will have to show your latest test result to e.g get into the King Power, get into a nightclub etc etc.

Ignoring the cost ( same order as the nhs budget or enough for 33 more aircraft carriers! ) it is not totally insane and if immunity doesn’t last, vaccines don’t work and no cure is found it may be the least bad option.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Have a policy similar to Iceland. Test on arrival, result delivered within 24 hours. Five days quarantine at home address or designated location. 5th day test, negative - away you go 

4 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I not saying that I think it a practical or a good idea...

but I guess the plan would then be to test everyone at the airport ( hopefully with a 20 minutes saliva testing).  They will have to report  for another test after a week, everyone they meet will already have to get their weekly test and so it is quashed quickly.  

I imagine you will have to show your latest test result to e.g get into the King Power, get into a nightclub etc etc.

Ignoring the cost ( same order as the nhs budget or enough for 33 more aircraft carriers! ) it is not totally insane and if immunity doesn’t last, vaccines don’t work and no cure is found it may be the least bad option.

Sounds good in practice, but only takes one or two false tests or people to break the quarantine and we're back to square one again.

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Have a policy similar to Iceland. Test on arrival, result delivered within 24 hours. Five days quarantine at home address or designated location. 5th day test, negative - away you go 

I suggested this before but for some reason we do a 14 day quarantine instead. God knows, I think I need to stop reading the news, it's drove me crazy today

• Like 1

Basically, from what I understand, unless you’ve been going out in massive groups, nothing will change. If I want to go to the pub with one mate on Monday I can, but if I can’t go with 6 others mates. I would have thought that would be just common sense in the current times not to go out in such large groups. 

It is so clear from postings here that the politicians have totally lost the confidence of the people.

We all know this is a very difficult situation to manage but there is no strategy and the conflicting messages that are changing regularly is bordering on contempt for the populace.

I am sorry to say that the Government is all over the place.  For quite some time now it has appeared to me that it is more concerned about saving face rather than thinking through the message it needs to give to the nation.  I am old enough to realise that we have had some political giants in office but the current cabinet is so inept I do not buy into forgiving it for it being all too difficult.

Unless there is some real joined up thinking, and I would hope that this could be proper cross party coalition type administration, there is no chance of politicians being taken seriously.  You can see the partisanship on here - we have to cut through this.  As it stands politicians are not going to pull this off so we need some “influencers” that the different generations will trust.  I guess I am thinking more about lining up celebrities/ sports stars and maybe people who have survived the ordeal of the virus.

But first ..... we need a coherent strategy/ way forward and clear message(s) for the people.  Praying for a vaccine is too high risk.

"This incident in the UK will have no impact on the Indian vaccine trial being carried out by Serum Institute," said Adar Poonawalla, CEO of Serum Institute of India, that is conducting trials on the Oxford vaccine AZD1222 (aka ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) in India also known as COVISHIELD.
Adar Poonawalla added, "The reaction that has been reported is not directly linked to the vaccine. The person who has had the reaction had an existing neurological condition. During a vaccine trial such events are common place."
"Our production timelines are on schedule as planned," the Serum Institute CEO further said.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Basically, from what I understand, unless you’ve been going out in massive groups, nothing will change. If I want to go to the pub with one mate on Monday I can, but if I can’t go with 6 others mates. I would have thought that would be just common sense in the current times not to go out in such large groups. 

No ..!!

If you go put with 6 mates, you can Enjoy 5 Rounds free,then tell them you have a Date and will Catch up tomorrow...:celebrate:

Edited by fuchsntf

4 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This won't go on. 

The government will.lose the people. In fact, I think they lost the people in May and loosened lockdown as a reactive  consequence. Leicester remained in  (supposed) lockdown as some kind of example.

and it largely worked in frightening other places into behaving. However, When it became obvious in Leicester nobody gave a flying fack after 4 weeks and businesses on the brink of bankruptcy threatened to.open anyway...hey presto! Lockdown Leicester was eased. 

December will see any semblance of lockdown in tatters, regardless of numbers. The UK (and western world)  won't jack in Xmas for anything or anyone. Period.

Santa will be Marking your card...No pressies for you...!!!

Poor ol' Rudolph having to Wear a facemask, That red nose wont be shining so bright this year....

How can the helper elves,do Home-office and get our pressies made in time....Then there is the Great Danger of Santa getting furloughed.....

Boris & Donald...the Gringe brothers....

Edited by fuchsntf

Norman Swan has provided an excellent commentary on the ABC here in Australia throughout the pandemic. Generally speaking I’ve found him to be spot on. This one is about the suspension of the Oxford vaccine trial.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/the-oxford-vaccines-troubles-why-its-not-doomed-yet/12646762

The main issue they are concerned to rule out is Antibody Dependent Enhancement (ADE). From what I’ve read it is not fully understood, but involves antibodies created by exposure to a vaccine or perhaps an actual infection of the live virus, actually amplifying the effect of a future infection by enhancing the ability of the virus to enter cells. It apparently was thought to be a problem with trials of an nCov 1 vaccine (in animals I think), and has been associated with Dengue fever.

Hopefully this isn’t the case here.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

The new rule of six is the trade off for opening the schools. There were alternatives - closing pubs, non essential shops would be options. the risks that are assessed when modelling the likely r factor are multiple ........ we knew there would be a correction to the relaxation of restrictions when the schools opened and now we see what they have decided - I wonder if they would have done this anyway even if cases had stayed around 1500 ??

by the end of next week we will be seeing if there has been big transmissions in schools  - I wonder what percentage will be schooling from home  in some kind of isolation by the end of September ?

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Norman Swan has provided an excellent commentary on the ABC here in Australia throughout the pandemic. Generally speaking I’ve found him to be spot on. This one is about the suspension of the Oxford vaccine trial.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/the-oxford-vaccines-troubles-why-its-not-doomed-yet/12646762

The main issue they are concerned to rule out is Antibody Dependent Enhancement (ADE). From what I’ve read it is not fully understood, but involves antibodies created by exposure to a vaccine or perhaps an actual infection of the live virus, actually amplifying the effect of a future infection by enhancing the ability of the virus to enter cells. It apparently was thought to be a problem with trials of an nCov 1 vaccine (in animals I think), and has been associated with Dengue fever.

Hopefully this isn’t the case here.

Jesus, that's old news. Its been known for a long time that catching a type of dengue fever leaves you more susceptible to severe disease if you catch one of the other 3 types.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The new rule of six is the trade off for opening the schools. There were alternatives - closing pubs, non essential shops would be options. the risks that are assessed when modelling the likely r factor are multiple ........ we knew there would be a correction to the relaxation of restrictions when the schools opened and now we see what they have decided - I wonder if they would have done this anyway even if cases had stayed around 1500 ??

by the end of next week we will be seeing if there has been big transmissions in schools  - I wonder what percentage will be schooling from home  in some kind of isolation by the end of September ?

Exactly right. If we want to open schools then there has to be a trade off. Anyone who thinks closing down retail and non essential business as the other option is frankly stupid.If the R number doesn't come down I can see restrictions on private gatherings being tightened even further.