Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The R rate will always be above one unless schools and universities are closed, which we can't do again. The rate was about 0.7 when only had a limited amount of shops open and key industries.

You can at least limit the amount of students and staff on campus at any one time and ensure that all non-essential/ancillary support services are remote. Curricular content can and is being transferred online with the provision of asynchronous teaching and lectures. Peer learning and seminars can be facilitates through platforms such as Zoom/MS Teams. The difficulty comes with NHS courses and degrees containing a significant practical or laboratory component in which the development of manual skills is essential. Current undergraduates and post grad students are also missing the camaraderie of the university experience.

There are some universities that are brazenly resuming operations albeit at reduced and phased capacity others that are more cautious. In the case of the former, this is borderline reckless. Universities are mainly civic institutions with city centre campuses attracting students nationally and internationally. Aside from the huge risk that this presents, if a provincial of regional infection is traced back to one of these institutions the brand/reputational damage may be irrecoverable - particularly given that some are fighting for survival. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:
'Households in Birmingham have been banned from mixing in new lockdown measures announced following a spike in coronavirus cases'

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

The restrictions were not about "prevention of schools, workplaces, transport" but about mixing of households,

But surely the people in schools and workplaces come from households.

Local lockdown but you'd still be expected to commute to the city and then work in and around colleagues. 

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

You can at least limit the amount of students and staff on campus at any one time and ensure that all non-essential/ancillary support services are remote. Curricular content can and is being transferred online with the provision of asynchronous teaching and lectures. Peer learning and seminars can be facilitates through platforms such as Zoom/MS Teams. The difficulty comes with NHS courses and degrees containing a significant practical or laboratory component in which the development of manual skills is essential. Current undergraduates and post grad students are also missing the camaraderie of the university experience.

There are some universities that are brazenly resuming operations albeit at reduced and phased capacity others that are more cautious. In the case of the former, this is borderline reckless. Universities are mainly civic institutions with city centre campuses attracting students nationally and internationally. Aside from the huge risk that this presents, if a provincial of regional infection is traced back to one of these institutions the brand/reputational damage may be irrecoverable - particularly given that some are fighting for survival. 

I drove past the school near my house earlier, all kids running about and jumping on each other, mucking about, as we all did as kids. I know we can do our best to limit contact and stuff, but I feel like no matter what we do, without shutting down almost everything, then the R rate will always be above 1.

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

With the national R number now back above one, I've a sneaking suspicion that the government has looked at the latest data and is bracing itself for the possibility of the country returning to something akin to the dire state that it was in back in late March and April, despite the mitigation measures which have been introduced since then. If we do need to return to a nationwide lock-down, I hope that it'll be better policed this time, with no repeats of the Cummings nonsense, and with all four home nations having the same rules. Imo, local lock-downs are so porous that they're almost completely useless.      

I can’t see another national lockdown for a couple reasons:

1) People are still fatigued from the first one, seeing as a lockdown of that side is all based on public co-operation as they’re virtually unenforceable if the vast majority decide they won’t play ball, and public appetite for that kind of measure is long gone I feel. 

2) The Government can’t afford another one. We’re making good progress on the recovery, and with the uncertainty of Brexit we can’t afford not to be in the best economic shape come January. Missing out on the Christmas rush would surely be a disaster. 

We’re backed into a corner a bit now, I see the Government just ploughing on with local lockdowns and smaller measures until Christmas, and hope we have a vaccine ready come the new year. Rightly or wrongly, I don’t see us inflicting any more economic damage on ourselves with another total lockdown. It’ll be small steps back as we try to match forward.

Guest Harrydc

Talks of a nationwide 'curfew' being imposed in the UK. Does Covid go to bed with the rest of us at night time then? & as for blaming young people that's a disgrace. 

Funny how the latest cases have been all over the news whereas the number in deaths (a grand total of 6) have been whispered very very quietly.

Of course, any death is one too many but to put it into context, there were on average just under 18 suicides per day in the UK in 2018.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Just been to asda for the weekly shop, more people not wearing a mask than wearing them. So many people have lost all hope and stopped giving a ****. :mellow:

Don't think it's a loss of hope, I think it's a mixture of complacency and the modern idea that MY rights are more important than EVERYONE'S responsibility.

41 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Just been to asda for the weekly shop, more people not wearing a mask than wearing them. So many people have lost all hope and stopped giving a ****. :mellow:

I was in Aldi this afternoon, the one by Thorpe Astley, it was very busy and am pretty sure everyone was wearing a mask, didn't clock anyone without.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Read this thread on occasion and every time I pop in I find myself agreeing more and more with what @simFox has to say.

You come across as a rational, intelligent bloke with a fair amount of common sense, and endless compassion for others, and so I really hope this comment is a complete piss take 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

I can’t see another national lockdown for a couple reasons:

Agreed, I think we'll just have local restrictions put into place from now on.

2 hours ago, simFox said:

How long do you think you are going to do that for? What's your end game, covid eradication? Your dreaming. It's here to stay so we need to learn to live with it like every other nasty disease out there. Africa is rife with all sorts and they get along just fine, they even have partial immunity to malaria. Life goes on!

Small pox vaccine was invented in 1796 and eradicated in 1977. Don't pin your hopes on a vaccine being the silver bullet. Even then, how long do you think it will take to vaccinate everyone, then it won't be 100% effective so the same susceptible people will die anyway!

People need to face reality about this disease and get a grip instead of losing all sense of reason. People will die, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you'll do more damage with lockdowns so suck it up.

Spot on!

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

Talks of a nationwide 'curfew' being imposed in the UK. Does Covid go to bed with the rest of us at night time then? & as for blaming young people that's a disgrace. 

Come 10pm when they close the pubs, everyone will go back to someones house and they'll be no social distancing at all, so it'll be even worselol Plus people like myself will just go out 9am to 10pm rather than 12pm to 2pm on drinking sessions.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Read this thread on occasion and every time I pop in I find myself agreeing more and more with what @simFox has to say.

Same. And I thought he was a loony at first lol

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You come across as a rational, intelligent bloke with a fair amount of common sense, and endless compassion for others, and so I really hope this comment is a complete piss take 

He makes some fair points though, this virus isn't going to go away, we might never get a vaccine and the economic damage is ridiculous, as much as I disagree with him about mask wearing etc.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Funny how the latest cases have been all over the news whereas the number in deaths (a grand total of 6) have been whispered very very quietly.

Of course, any death is one too many but to put it into context, there were on average just under 18 suicides per day in the UK in 2018.

What’s the stats of dying from falling over and breaking your neck, bet it’s more than 6 a day

Guest Harrydc

At what point will people say okay this has been going on long enough now and it's time to return to normal? Or will we still be wearing masks in shops in 5 years? Not saying I disagree with it now, but it's a concern that this is never going to end. 

13 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

At what point will people say okay this has been going on long enough now and it's time to return to normal? Or will we still be wearing masks in shops in 5 years? Not saying I disagree with it now, but it's a concern that this is never going to end. 

I don’t mind it never ending in that sense. I don’t want you coughing over me at any time. I’m by no means a hypochondriac germophobe but wearing masks and gloves to help stop spread infections sounds great to me. Be it SARS, Covid19, AIDS or the common cold I’m all for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

I don’t mind it never ending in that sense. I don’t want you coughing over me at any time. I’m by no means a hypochondriac germophobe but wearing masks and gloves to help stop spread infections sounds great to me. Be it SARS, Covid19, AIDS or the common cold I’m all for it.

Yeah masks, social distancing and hygiene are all fine to adhere to and sensible.

Obviously locking down was the right thing to do back in March and April but the time has come were we just have to adapt to live with the virus rather than locking down society again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Seriously?

Cos you sound like a hypochondriac germophobe.

(Edited because autocorrect changed germophobe to homophobe lol)

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Haha 1