Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

14 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Whats the massive knee jerk reactions they are making now, economy is back up & running, there are a few exceptions granted, & the kids are back in school, far as i can see they are only asking i don't roam the streets with the rest of the T-Birds & Pink Ladies.

Plentiful. Firstly they let us go abroad and then we are told to quarantine without warning on return making going away pointless.  Bolton now the pubs are shut. The first of many places to be punished I predict.  My birthday garden party can’t now take place as 6 is now the magic number.  Don’t forget my mask otherwise I can’t nip in the shop.  Track and trace being extended.  Hospitals cancelling operations all in the name of Covid. Curfews being talked about.  The list is endless. None of them might inconvenience you but eventually they’ll be a restriction that does. Most of them are reactionary over the top measures. 

Edited by MonmoreStef
  • Like 1

Kids going back to school is a great move btw. The difference in the wellbeing of my two is huge after only a few days. A bit of structure, discipline and social interaction back in their lives is just what they needed.

Fair play to the schools too for the measures they've put in place too. Loads of hand sanitizers, tables spread out, if kids have PE they go in PE kit and wear it all day so not to use changing rooms, bogs all unisex and cubicles, lunches at staggered times etc - they're doing their best.

When the kids are on the bus, go out, or see grandparents, they'll be sensible, wear masks etc, so it's all good I say. 

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't get why people under 50 would want a vaccine that's been rushed through, I'm no anti vaxxer I've had everything growing up and happy I have done but not sure I'd be waltzing in to get a covid vaccine considering if I catch it in the first place the chances of it negatively affecting me is slim and all this panicked rush to get it ready to roll out has me much more nervous than the virus itself. 

I fit one of the requirements of vulnerable group (but need my nhs records updated).

I think I got the virus in april and it was "not" pleasant, almost passed out multiple times for two days, lost taste sensation, constant coughing which lasted for several weeks, and I had chest pains for around 2 months.

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Those saying that schools opened too early.... can you explain when they should of safely opened up again? 

I think initially it should have been rolling days for each pupil so part time. 1/5 of capacity. 1 day a week per pupil, basically rebalance the work so most of it is homework.

Also they have had 3 months or so to setup a new system e.g. video conference teaching.  The idea of just sending all kids back at once feels very rushed and not much thought process involved.

Bear in mind 1 week after pubs were reopened the R rate went positive, cases were gradually increasing on 7 day average, and even knowing this the government kept opening more and more things up.  It was never going to work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Scotland making it mandatory to wear masks and facecovering in pubs and restaurants when not eating or drinking.

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think we'll see this in England by the end of the month too.

So, if you haven't got a fork to your mouth or glass to your lips you have to mask up? 

It doesn't make sense. The places I've been to eat or drink recently all required face coverings whilst ordering at the bar/till/counter, then we could remove them once we had been allocated a table and the staff had masks on when they served.

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So, if you haven't got a fork to your mouth or glass to your lips you have to mask up? 

It doesn't make sense. The places I've been to eat or drink recently all required face coverings whilst ordering at the bar/till/counter, then we could remove them once we had been allocated a table and the staff had masks on when they served.

I think it's while moving around the pub, entering and exiting, going to the toilet, ordering at the bar, playing at the pool table etc.

I think if you're sat down you can remove the mask.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think it's while moving around the pub, entering and exiting, going to the toilet, ordering at the bar, playing at the pool table etc.

I think if you're sat down you can remove the mask.

Now, that makes sense. Even the one way system that's in place in pubs doesn't really prevent close contact, although the numbers allowed in are limited, at least in my local, so unexpected closeness is not frequent. Not sure I'd want to be playing pool unless I had my own cue. Certainly wouldn't touch the gaming machines. 

19 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Portugal added to the list of countries that we now have to quarantine on our return.

Punished for the lofty infection rate of 23 in a 100,000

Yet we can spend a week in Bolton and return without such a restriction and I believe the rate there is over a 100 per 100,000. Another example of a rule they’ve brought in that makes no sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

What happens when year groups have to self-isolate? Do they learn online or is it two weeks catching up when they return?

My son is in year 11 at Groby,they were all sent home when they arrived at school on Wednesday has a year 11 pupil had tested positive. All year 11's have to self-isolate for 14 days & will return on 21st of Sept. They have been set work to do online, like they had in lockdown. This is a crucial year as he sits exams next summer, I worry what effect this will have, especially as I can see it happening again a few more times before this year is over. We were sent an email to say he had been in close contact with the child who had tested positive, but so far he shows no symptoms. Our other son goes to the same school but he still has to attend, even though the eldest as been in close proximity with someone who has tested positive.

6 hours ago, simFox said:

Which is exactly what lockdown is doing. Killing our younger population, which are actually required to finance our aging population.

From what I can gather, the majority of the older generation would rather die in freedom than behind closed doors.

From the small snippet of people I know in this age bracket, it’s very true.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

Yet we can spend a week in Bolton and return without such a restriction and I believe the rate there is over a 100 per 100,000. Another example of a rule they’ve brought in that makes no sense. 

Can we - aren’t there restrictions that mean you can’t enter the Bolton area and stay overnight ???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

Kids going back to school is a great move btw. The difference in the wellbeing of my two is huge after only a few days. A bit of structure, discipline and social interaction back in their lives is just what they needed.

Fair play to the schools too for the measures they've put in place too. Loads of hand sanitizers, tables spread out, if kids have PE they go in PE kit and wear it all day so not to use changing rooms, bogs all unisex and cubicles, lunches at staggered times etc - they're doing their best.

When the kids are on the bus, go out, or see grandparents, they'll be sensible, wear masks etc, so it's all good I say. 

Underrated civil service, the education system. 

Publicly derided and chastised without any second thought, in most quarters. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I fit one of the requirements of vulnerable group (but need my nhs records updated).

I think I got the virus in april and it was "not" pleasant, almost passed out multiple times for two days, lost taste sensation, constant coughing which lasted for several weeks, and I had chest pains for around 2 months.

I'm sorry to hear that but it is clear that you were really unfortunate that you went through that, I might have had it, my gran and mum both tested positive for it back in April and I was living with them at the time so it's a fair chance I had it but showed no symptoms, either that or I was incredibly lucky not to get it. Either way I think a healthy person in their 30s isn't what the vaccine should be aimed at, vaccinate the vulnerable and the at risk and let everyone else get on with their lives is my thinking, but maybe I'm just fatigued with it all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOMMYG said:

My son is in year 11 at Groby,they were all sent home when they arrived at school on Wednesday has a year 11 pupil had tested positive. All year 11's have to self-isolate for 14 days & will return on 21st of Sept. They have been set work to do online, like they had in lockdown. This is a crucial year as he sits exams next summer, I worry what effect this will have, especially as I can see it happening again a few more times before this year is over. We were sent an email to say he had been in close contact with the child who had tested positive, but so far he shows no symptoms. Our other son goes to the same school but he still has to attend, even though the eldest as been in close proximity with someone who has tested positive.

Is it the case then that even if one person in a year group has a positive test, they've all got to self isolate for 2 weeks? If so then they'll be self isolating every 6-8 weeks!

9 hours ago, TOMMYG said:

Now this doesn’t make any sense to me at all. If, god forbid, your eldest son has contracted the infection whilst at school, then surely sending your other child back into the same school daily, after being in the same house as your eldest is exactly the same as just letting your eldest go back to school?

The UK economy grew by 6.6% in July, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), but it said output remains far below pre-pandemic levels.

However, the UK's economy is still 11.7% smaller than it was in February and growth in July was smaller than the 8.7% expansion seen in June.

Honestly still not as bad as I was expecting. Just need to dodge a shitty second lockdown and the bounce back shouldn't take long at all. 

1 hour ago, stix said:

Now this doesn’t make any sense to me at all. If, god forbid, your eldest son has contracted the infection whilst at school, then surely sending your other child back into the same school daily, after being in the same house as your eldest is exactly the same as just letting your eldest go back to school?

I know it doesn't seem to make sense, the instruction we received from the school was that only my eldest son needed to self-isolate, the others in the household, including the youngest one at the same school, should only self-isolate if the eldest one started to show any symptoms, which fortunately at the moment he doesn't.