Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Is it only me reading that as the only significant change is that you can’t meet in a park with more than six? 

Pubs and restaurants have been too; there’s a maximum of six people to a table. Households were already like that 

I’m not sure anyone knows what the rules are - hence the ‘do what you like ‘ attitude around  houses and parks. Pubs, restaurants  etc are supposed to enforce the regs and in many cases do so 

this ‘change’ will hopefully stop some of the house party’s that have sprung up over the past month (remember that students are shortly heading back to uni) 

we dont need to change much to keep a lid on this but if it’s gets out of hand again then it will be difficult to get it back down to where it need it be as a background circulation.  As with almost everything in life, the truth is likely somewhere in between the hardened positions taken - the govt don’t really have an option but to err on the cautious side. 

can any of our Spanish correspondents advise if their case increase has led to an uptick In hospitalisations yet  - we know that the increases around Europe and here are down to the younger generations becoming infected and the question that need addressing is how long will this take to work upwards and is the generally circulating viral load enough to cause the over fifties to fall v ill as per earlier? 

Edited by st albans fox

Guest Markyblue
7 hours ago, martyn said:

Phase 3 trial of the Oxford Uni vaccine has been suspended due to an adverse reaction. 

Big blow as that looked to be the leading candidate. 

Its absolutely usual in the test period for this kind of thing to happen,  with the amount of people being treated there's always a chance someone gets ill from normal reasons,  it will soon be sorted but of course it will be painted as the end of the world by the media. 

They wouldn’t need any rules if people weren’t thick. Okay, we’ve had a lockdown period so people now know this is a serious thing, but if people weren’t so thick, all the government would need to say is “be careful” and that would be fine. Everyone could just live their lives. 

Edited by Ian Nacho
  • Like 3

My son has been in contact with someone at his school who has tested positive for the virus and now been told to self isolate for 14 days as per govt guidance. 

Personal circumstances mean it’s ok to be at home with me as I’m working from home. But what I can’t get my head around is that I don’t have to self isolate, I can still carry on as usually but only have to self isolate if my son shows symptoms. So if he shows symptoms in 4/5 days and I’ve been out there is a good chance that I’ve also then contracted the virus and passed it on. Surely this is a reason for the number of cases rising?? 

Unless I have misunderstood the govt guidelines. Anyone else been in my situation?

29 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

My son has been in contact with someone at his school who has tested positive for the virus and now been told to self isolate for 14 days as per govt guidance. 

Personal circumstances mean it’s ok to be at home with me as I’m working from home. But what I can’t get my head around is that I don’t have to self isolate, I can still carry on as usually but only have to self isolate if my son shows symptoms. So if he shows symptoms in 4/5 days and I’ve been out there is a good chance that I’ve also then contracted the virus and passed it on. Surely this is a reason for the number of cases rising?? 

Unless I have misunderstood the govt guidelines. Anyone else been in my situation?

Nah you understand it. 

It's because he doesn't have it. The self isolation he's doing is precautionary. If he gets poorly then you self isolate until eventually all of the contact chains have been isolated and that chain of virus dies out if that makes sense?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lionator said:

Nah you understand it. 

It's because he doesn't have it. The self isolation he's doing is precautionary. If he gets poorly then you self isolate until eventually all of the contact chains have been isolated and that chain of virus dies out if that makes sense?

It does yeah, but surely the risk of spreading it is quite high so surely makes sense for everyone to self isolate at the beginning?

3 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

It does yeah, but surely the risk of spreading it is quite high so surely makes sense for everyone to self isolate at the beginning?

It takes 5 days on average to go from person to person so even if you did catch it from him, you wouldn't be contagious for 10 days from when he was in contact with that first person. 

So technically yes you could just self isolate from the start but it would be pointless until he shows any symptoms. The 14 day period is to minimise disruption.

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

Its absolutely usual in the test period for this kind of thing to happen,  with the amount of people being treated there's always a chance someone gets ill from normal reasons,  it will soon be sorted but of course it will be painted as the end of the world by the media. 

Bit annoying how it's been leaked too, I guess there's to much interest in this to keep a lid on it. Problem is, I'm not sure if it's just another over reaction to someone catching cold or actually anything significant.

I thought it was a doublr blind study anyway, the person with the reaction could be on a placebo.

13 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I think you’ll find they have got their information wrong, you were never allowed 30 people in ya house during this, when has anyone had 30 people in their house outside of this, why would they pick 30 as the number.

its always been, from when allowed that is, 2 households.

30 people meeting in outdoor space and weddings but not house

Yeah it may have meant in garden or something.

10 hours ago, Corky said:

Gyms and sportsparks closing again would be ridiculous. They have put so much effort into getting them ready for easing of restrictions and are far easier to patrol than pubs and restaurants.

I'm sure a rise in infections is from things like house parties and illegal raves which are well over the 30 people limit anyway. Of course, the sensible ones are the first to lose out.

Gyms I consider risky due to a/c, but I agree with you them closing ahead of hospitality seems bonkers, I think they still putting the economy first here, as hospitality is a big part of the English economy.

46 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of the blame being laid at the door of certain groups in society.

I've seen people of all ages following the rules diligently and not following the rules diligently.

I saw groups of kids gathering on the park at the height of the peak. I've seen groups of middle-aged people stuffing themselves around a single pub bench without a mask in sight, I've seen elderly people in supermarkets without masks at a time when they should've been at home and had someone doing their shopping for them.

And I've seen people in all those groups following the rules and doing their best to keep themselves and everyone else safe.

Anyone can be brilliant and anyone can be a sh!t. Matt Hancock blaming young people is just playing into the hands of the Tory supporter base, the absolute pr!ck.

The local lockdowns were the first part of divide and conquer.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Generalisation -  Why can't people get their heads around this (& most changes amendments in fact) & have to go directly into a Monty Python style spoof knocking the Government?

Is it that hard to sit back, digest the information & realise the differences there are in relation to mood, behaviours, awareness, safety measures etc etc between 30 people in a social circle & 30 people in a work (& school) environment?

1 hour ago, simFox said:

Bit annoying how it's been leaked too, I guess there's to much interest in this to keep a lid on it. Problem is, I'm not sure if it's just another over reaction to someone catching cold or actually anything significant.

I thought it was a doublr blind study anyway, the person with the reaction could be on a placebo.

Yes but the team organising the trial will know who is and who isn't on the real vaccine.

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm getting a bit fed up of the blame being laid at the door of certain groups in society.

I've seen people of all ages following the rules diligently and not following the rules diligently.

I saw groups of kids gathering on the park at the height of the peak. I've seen groups of middle-aged people stuffing themselves around a single pub bench without a mask in sight, I've seen elderly people in supermarkets without masks at a time when they should've been at home and had someone doing their shopping for them.

And I've seen people in all those groups following the rules and doing their best to keep themselves and everyone else safe.

Anyone can be brilliant and anyone can be a sh!t. Matt Hancock blaming young people is just playing into the hands of the Tory supporter base, the absolute pr!ck.

Fantastic post. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

IIRC last time it got paused was due to a reaction someone had to the placebo (meningitis) vaccine.

Yes. But if that is proven to be the case this time we can expect the trial to continue in a few days. If the real vaccine then probably a bit longer. I guess they will be looking for trends on this to see if any other people have reported similar side effects. A bit like those notes you get with all medecine. Some read them and get all the side effects even those ranked 1 in a million.

Edited by reynard

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

They wouldn’t need any rules if people weren’t thick. Okay, we’ve had a lockdown period so people now know this is a serious thing, but if people weren’t so thick, all the government would need to say is “be careful” and that would be fine. Everyone could just live their lives. 

Hardly. When this virus began did you know how to "be careful" to guard against spreading it? Did anyone?

That's the thing with common sense, it means something different to everyone. To some people staying at home, if the reasons for it were explained to them, seemed a reasonable thing to do. To others, the idea was so beyond the pale that they drove half way across the country with a member of their family who was symptomatic. That was their idea of "common sense".

The rule of law, on the other hand, is plain and clear. People who think they know better than it, in theory, can't beat it. No matter how clever or thick they are.