Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

27 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Not sure what you're referring to with the "72 people burned to death" but I assume it's Grenfell. I wouldn't describe the reaction and fallout from that tragedy as "hardly a peep"

Compared to what would've happened (and has happened) in other countries the reaction was pretty tame, as it has been for coronavirus. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

As somebody else posted a few days ago I've never seen large death tolls reported with positivity but feel free to lighten the mood yourself.

Alright then, lets wallow in misery together.

Positivity is most needed in the face of adversity.  If I could bottle it and post it to some of you I would.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The thing is, Murphy, there's not tonnes to be positive about in terms of our dealing with this. 

I know this is your team in charge and that you want badly to paint them in a good light but I've not really got a dog in the race besides the health and safety of my family. 

Ill be positive when it's time to be positive and I'll always view the government through a healthy lens of cynicism and distrust no matter what the party. Particularly with the government du jour is outright lying. 

But just for you - I'm glad it's raining so my garden gets a bit of liquid. 

Well that's a start I suppose.  :)

edit - Just to add to that, you say it's 'my team' in charge and you're right, I don't dispute that, but sometimes, just for a second,  I wish JC's Tooting Popular Front had won just so that I wouldn't be accused of partisanship.  The thing is, from the start, I have been preaching unity and expected a united front in the face of this horrible lurgi.  I have jumped in to defend the government only when I think that people are point scoring or taking cheap cynical shots along party lines.  That is what has saddened me during all this.  The solidarity I expected, never materialised.

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1

Just now, murphy said:

Positivity is most needed in the face of adversity.  If I could bottle it and post it to some of you I would.

There's a difference between negativity and anger. I've been pretty lucky during the lockdown and remain positive, but I'm angry about many of the things that have happened over the last 4 months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

Compared to what would've happened (and has happened) in other countries the reaction was pretty tame, as it has been for coronavirus. 

Curious on what your statement might suggest. What do you feel is a reasonable reaction to the progression of Coronavirus in England (not elsewhere) ?

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well that’s not good news, too early to be related to relaxing lockdown measures I guess,  I wonder if it relates to people relaxing them themselves?

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

There's probably a bit of an increase coming to represent the v day festivities. 

and/or bank holiday from last week?

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

I hoped people would be less partisan and less dismissive of valid criticism as 'playing politics'. I'd expect people to be slightly angrier at the fact we are in a much worse situation than almost all other countries in Europe and may not be able to travel as freely as other European nations after being told initially to take coronavirus on the chin by a leader who was so blase about catching the virus, then actually did. And before you accuse me of hypocrisy, I was actually willing to be very supportive of the government at the start of the crisis, but I think they have ****ed it up totally and should be held to account, like I would be if a) I totally ****ed up my job and b) defended colleagues for breaking the rules that I myself had told others to follow. 

Did you take my statement to be a petulant response? Certainly did not intend it to be, as my initial support for the government (born out of a default position for whoever is in government) is waning. The Cummings thing is an irritation, the Johnson demeanour also an irrelevance (personal opinions both), but a sense of lack of direction is emerging, one  I find quite concerning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

We're not, we're the most passive nation around. 72 people burned to death in the centre of London and we heard hardly a peep. We're up there with the US in terms of "thoughts and prayers". 

When compared to a little baldy fella driving a couple of hundred miles up the road your probably right on that.

New Zealand likely to be lifting all restrictions within a day or so, including social distancing, although the travel ban remains.

Pity the UK did not have quarantine measures/ban on flights 3 months ago when it was needed. Bit late now, save for travel from a few countries.

40 minutes ago, murphy said:

Could you send some to the football part of the forum as well

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Did you take my statement to be a petulant response? Certainly did not intend it to be, as my initial support for the government (born out of a default position for whoever is in government) is waning. The Cummings thing is an irritation, the Johnson demeanour also an irrelevance (personal opinions both), but a sense of lack of direction is emerging, one  I find quite concerning.

Fair enough. I didn't find it petulant at all. I enjoy the debate on here, certainly hope it continues.

I can't tell people what to care about of course. It's their life. 

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

When compared to a little baldy fella driving a couple of hundred miles up the road your probably right on that.

Exactly. It's pretty poor how much they defended him but I'm surprised it was this that woke people up so much. 

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Think the bigger problem was the balls out lie weren't it

One of many though. I do find it interesting how much it touched a nerve. But like I wrote above, it's arrogant of me to tell people what they should care about.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well that’s not good news, too early to be related to relaxing lockdown measures I guess,  I wonder if it relates to people relaxing them themselves?

well work back 3 weeks and you get to the period around the first may bank holiday and the VE celebrations... people were already relaxing 

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

It's being reported that between 25 and 33% of tests show false negatives. Maybe...?

The govt used Roche test apparently  has no false results .....

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are assuming that a general lockdown made a significant difference Vs targeted protection of the most at risk groups, not dumping the elderly out of hospitals and into care homes, and a good track and trace system.  I would say that is extremely doubtful.  The "so you think we should have lets more people die???" arugment is false imo.  People will die regardless, and we won't know how bad this has been until we see a full year or perhaps two or excess death stats.  At the moment we can't for certain say that the figures are materially worse that a very bad Flu season plus the impact of the lockdown.  Too early to tell.

We also don't know why we have higher deaths - it is likely that population density is a factor, but there will be others too.

Completely agree with the first two points. The death and suffering in care homes has been really bad and the general indifference from the government to the care sector as a whole really quite shocking and frankly unacceptable. There is little doubt that some people in care homes died as a result of mistakes made.

As to excess deaths. Yes, it is early to make final judgements but, there can be little doubt that things in the Uk are, and have been, pretty bad, in fact worse than in most other countries in the world where similar statistics are kept. Our excess death figures, even at this early stage in the pandemic, are truly shocking. This is not my analysis but the bit italicised and in bold below supports what you say.

• In England and Wales there were 113% more deaths than usual in the week ending 17 April 2020 – the peak week. Since then the number of excess deaths has steadily decreased towards pre-outbreak levels with the latest data for the week ending 22 May 2020 showing 24% more excess deaths than expected.
  • This peak in England and Wales was only exceeded by Spain which had a peak of 153% (this figure was recently revised upwards by 40 percentage points). Italy is the only other country with a peak of more than 100%. In Spain and Italy the peak week and subsequent decrease in excess deaths were 2 weeks ahead of England and Wales.
  • The peak week figures for France and Sweden were much lower, at 55% and 46%, respectively. The figures are similar despite quite different approaches to lock-down.
  • The peak in Germany was significantly lower than observed for the other European countries at 12% more deaths than usual in the week ending 10 April 2020.

3 hours ago, bovril said:

I don't want to speak for other people too much, but I think what frustrates some is that increasingly people trying to make valid points or ask difficult questions are being called negative, and those responsible for the mess are being let off surprisingly lightly.

If by "those responsible" you mean the Government, then i don't understand what you mean by "let off surprisingly lightly".

The media in general, and the BBC, have spent practically every waking hour the last 2 months skewering the Government over absolutely everything.

Some of the critism has been valid, some not, but to say they have been "let off" ... is bonkers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

If by "those responsible" you mean the Government, then i don't understand what you mean by "let off surprisingly lightly".

The media in general, and the BBC, have spent practically every waking hour the last 2 months skewering the Government over absolutely everything.

Some of the critism has been valid, some not, but to say they have been "let off" ... is bonkers.

They haven’t. It’s been about 50/50. Dependant on what your POV is you only view the criticism of your opinion in greater detail. That’s a human reaction. In modern society we live in our own echo chambers. 

The biggest selling newspaper in the country has remained with the government throughout this entire period. The second biggest only going off that opinion over the Cummings trip to Durham but returned back on Sunday trying to discredit the story. 

The BBC is a mixed bag of journalists - even me as a critic of govt can see their breakfast news programme is fairer on interviews than ITVs. For every Emily Matilis, there’s an Andrew Neil. 

This tagging of media and MSM is madness, it’s a product of what the general public want and get. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Large numbers of staff could have been unknowingly spreading coronavirus through care homes, according to the UK's largest charitable care home provider.  
Data from MHA shows 42% of its staff members who recently tested positive  were not displaying symptoms.  
Nearly 45% of residents who had a positive test were also asymptomatic.
MHA operates in England, Scotland and Wales and has fully tested staff and residents in 86 of its 90 homes so far.
A Department for Health and Social Care spokesperson said: "Our priority is to ensure care workers and those receiving care are protected, and the latest statistics show over 60% of care homes have had no outbreak at all.

BBC

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Large numbers of staff could have been unknowingly spreading coronavirus through care homes, according to the UK's largest charitable care home provider.  
Data from MHA shows 42% of its staff members who recently tested positive  were not displaying symptoms.  
Nearly 45% of residents who had a positive test were also asymptomatic.
MHA operates in England, Scotland and Wales and has fully tested staff and residents in 86 of its 90 homes so far.
A Department for Health and Social Care spokesperson said: "Our priority is to ensure care workers and those receiving care are protected, and the latest statistics show over 60% of care homes have had no outbreak at all.

BBC

Pretty weak statement, as if the other 40% that may have had an outbreak don't matter. Their priority is to ensure care workers are protected, I'm pretty sure they went without the necessary protection for weeks and weeks. 

Also, it's not just a care home thing where people could have been unknowingly spreading it. The fact that you can be asymptomatic has been well known pretty much since the start, no? 

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Not sure what you're referring to with the "72 people burned to death" but I assume it's Grenfell. I wouldn't describe the reaction and fallout from that tragedy as "hardly a peep"

Inquiry is still ongoing. Nearly three years on. Worst residential fire since the WW2.  

Original poster clearly exaggerating on hardly a peep but if you look at say the Spanish public’s reaction to the political parties after the Madrid train station bombings, we are nowhere near that level of public engagement and on the whole quite apathetic.

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Inquiry is still ongoing. Nearly three years on. Worst residential fire since the WW2.  

Original poster clearly exaggerating on hardly a peep but if you look at say the Spanish public’s reaction to the political parties after the Madrid train station bombings, we are nowhere near that level of public engagement and on the whole quite apathetic.

Yes I was.

And the nightclub fire in Romania that killed around 65 people led to protests that brought down the government.