Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

59 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Very late July/early August was when I though some semblance of pub reopening would happen.

There's a pub near work called the three stags, they're selling beer as take away but they have loads of picnic tables outside, always full of people. You can basically just go to the pub. lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Just out of interest how would people feel about going to pubs? Depending on the figures at the time, I'd avoid crowded, city-centre pubs for a few more months but would probably be ok in more spacious places, definitely if there was space outside.

My locals in SE London are usually quiet(ish) enough with outside space so I have no issue with those.

Wouldnt be in a real hurry to go to pubs centrally as you say.

Saying that, I'm a quiet pub man those these days so if this happened 10 years ago I might have had a different answer!

Just now, Nalis said:

My locals in SE London are usually quiet(ish) enough with outside space so I have no issue with those.

Wouldnt be in a real hurry to go to pubs centrally as you say.

Saying that, I'm a quiet pub man those these days so if this happened 10 years ago I might have had a different answer!

I was thinking of the Harp in Covent Garden which is always rammed. I miss it, but not so much that I'd rub up against people in an airless bar. My locals are more spacious but as soon as they reopen people are going to go crazy, I'm sure. 

Generally I'm quite enjoying getting takeaway ale and drinking it in the garden so I'm not in any rush.

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Just out of interest how would people feel about going to pubs? Depending on the figures at the time, I'd avoid crowded, city-centre pubs for a few more months but would probably be ok in more spacious places, definitely if there was space outside.

Similar I think 

Outdoors where the tables are spread put I'd be perfectly comfortable with it now. I'd want to see the weekly deaths in single-digits before I'd be happy to drink indoors though.

• Like 1

Golf club today had the patio doors open selling self serve bottles and cans from a hatch with a little honesty till by the door. I got myself a beer and though this almost feels like a novelty, just being around other people having a drink (social distancing was well observed. The golf community has been excellent WRT rules etc whenever I’ve been). 

I think a lot of people I know would be keen to go back to pubs but as said above outside seating while it’s a bit warmer would be ideal. I’d probably avoid the crowded pubs but near me they’re usually the Wetherspoons, plenty of nice local gaffs which are a bit quieter. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 3

Just now, Sampson said:

Similar I think 

Outdoors where the tables are spread put I'd be perfectly comfortable with it now. I'd want to see the weekly deaths in single-digits before I'd be happy to drink indoors though.

Still not 100% with it now. I'd like to watch some Leicester games with my Dad and maybe I'm being paranoid but really trying to avoid being round groups of people when the number of cases is still pretty high. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Not that confident tbh. I used to have a weekly meet up in a city centre coffee place and we've all agreed that won't happen for a long time.

As others have said - I'd like to see double digits before I go somewhere like that. But, of course, the irony is I work in education and with young people. So there's a chance I'll be spending at least an hour with groups of people long before pubs open.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I'll be going local beer gardens for sure. No chance I'll be going to the city centre though, it'll be chaos and everywhere will be rammed.

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'll be going local beer gardens for sure. No chance I'll be going to the city centre though, it'll be chaos and everywhere will be rammed.

Same as me.

We've got 2 pubs in our little village and 1 of them have done absolutely delightful takeaways during this lockdown while they've had to shut their doors to customers. We used to go there before but only once every now and then. Will probably support them more, they need it now more than ever as it is.

58 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If lifting restrictions is done anything like here in Perth, there’ll be limits on number allowed for some time. We had a limit of 20, subject to no more than 1 person per 4 square metres, all seated. Being lifted to 100, and 1 person per two square metres tomorrow.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If lifting restrictions is done anything like here in Perth, there’ll be limits on number allowed for some time. We had a limit of 20, subject to no more than 1 person per 4 square metres, all seated. Being lifted to 100, and 1 person per two square metres tomorrow.

What have case numbers been like in the big cities in Aus since lockdowns were lifted?

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What have case numbers been like in the big cities in Aus since lockdowns were lifted?

In Perth we haven’t had any community infections for some time, a month or more I think. We’ve had some recently returned infected travellers, all in hotel quarantine, and an issue with a ship that docked in Fremantle a week or so ago that has yielded some 20 infections amongst the crew I believe, all on board. I think they’ve all been put in hotel quarantine.

Victoria and NSW have had the odd cluster (meat processing plants and care homes mostly), but I think they are down to single digit infections per day. Basically we have got off relatively lightly.

In my opinion this is down to locking down relatively early in the cycle (some luck involved), and sealing borders & quarantining returning travellers.

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

In Perth we haven’t had any community infection for some time, a month or more I think. We’ve had some recently returned infected travellers, all in hotel quarantine, and a issue with a ship that docked in Fremantle a week or so ago that has yielded some 20 infections amongst the crew I believe, all on board. I think they’ve all been put in hotel quarantine.

Victoria and NSW have had the odd cluster (meat processing plants and care homes mostly), but I think they are down to single digit infections per day. Basically we have got off relatively lightly.

Perhaps expected for an island. Good stuff, nonetheless.

If only another island could have handled things differently :ph34r:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Perhaps expected for an island. Good stuff, nonetheless.

If only another island could have handled things differently :ph34r:

Yes, obviously Australia is a different proposition to the UK for many reasons, but it did seem likely to take off at one stage.

Both Federal and State governments have handled things very well though. Mark McGowan, WA state premier, has kept the state border closed against opposition from eastern states, with 90% popular support according to a recent poll.

50 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In Perth we haven’t had any community infections for some time, a month or more I think. We’ve had some recently returned infected travellers, all in hotel quarantine, and an issue with a ship that docked in Fremantle a week or so ago that has yielded some 20 infections amongst the crew I believe, all on board. I think they’ve all been put in hotel quarantine.

In my opinion this is down to locking down relatively early in the cycle (some luck involved), and sealing borders & quarantining returning travellers.

Perth being practically out on its own surely a major factor too?

3 hours ago, bovril said:

I was thinking of the Harp in Covent Garden which is always rammed. I miss it, but not so much that I'd rub up against people in an airless bar. My locals are more spacious but as soon as they reopen people are going to go crazy, I'm sure. 

Generally I'm quite enjoying getting takeaway ale and drinking it in the garden so I'm not in any rush.

D’you mean the one by Charing Cross?

Great place with excellent beers. I’ve done the inspections in there a few times, as well going there as a customer. (Inspections are easy as there isn’t really a kitchen, so I inspect the microwave for 10 minutes and then end up talking to the manager about beer for an hour or so).

But poky as...wouldn’t really want to be going there til this has mostly blown over. 

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Is it just coincidence that the three countries with the highest death tolls, the USA, the UK, and Brazil, all have right-wing populist politicians in charge?

:nigel: