Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Shock horror, BA not happy with something that could potentially put people off flying

I'm not surprised, the quarantine idea must be the most ill thought out plan ever. For a start anyone flying into the uk has to quarantine for 2 weeks at home or in a hotel away from the airport which means they can use public transport to get home, how pointless is that. Then, if you could get to go on holiday, it means that for a 2 week holiday, you need a month off which basically destroys the holiday industry. And on top of that, they decide to do it now instead of when this all kicked off, bit late really.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm not surprised, the quarantine idea must be the most ill thought out plan ever. For a start anyone flying into the uk has to quarantine for 2 weeks at home or in a hotel away from the airport which means they can use public transport to get home, how pointless is that. Then, if you could get to go on holiday, it means that for a 2 week holiday, you need a month off which basically destroys the holiday industry. And on top of that, they decide to do it now instead of when this all kicked off, bit late really.

It's poor and smacks of laziness to me. We should be providing proper solutions for these problems.

This is the equivalent to refusing to play a player in the semi final of a competition for fear of them getting injured or suspended and missing the final.

Its not a proper solution and is just detrimental to your efforts.

3 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Now saying you will have to cover your face on public transport but only from the 15th June.

Why wouldn't you start it from the 8th the  same date as the quarantine plan kicks in?

Presumably so people have time to get provisions sorted.

6 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Now saying you will have to cover your face on public transport but only from the 15th June.

Why wouldn't you start it from the 8th the  same date as the quarantine plan kicks in?

Because the next day is the start of the fishing season so us anglers need some protection

16 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Don't quarantine and get slaughtered.

Quarantine and get slaughtered  lol

This thread in  a nutshelll.

• Like 1

Hmmm...are the government going to be providing face masks for people who now have to wear them to take public transport to work or the shop for food?

Because I've seen some prices for face masks and, boy, those companies are not altruistic. 

If you're going to make it so that an item that is on the free market and subject to price hikes, then perhaps it's best to consider how that will affect people first. 

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Hmmm...are the government going to be providing face masks for people who now have to wear them to take public transport to work or the shop for food?

Because I've seen some prices for face masks and, boy, those companies are not altruistic. 

If you're going to make it so that an item that is on the free market and subject to price hikes, then perhaps it's best to consider how that will affect people first. 

We sent off for a couple of face masks and tbh they looked like they had been made from a pair of knickers ...  perhaps we could make our own. 

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

Hour commute with a mask on, to then wear ffp3 for 12.5 hours. Marvellous. Why June 15? Why now? I've lost all faith in these people now.

Can understand why you are so p1ssed off mate as you are front line in this fight ...   stay strong ..  we are all behind you ...  totally.

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Inquiry is still ongoing. Nearly three years on. Worst residential fire since the WW2.  

Original poster clearly exaggerating on hardly a peep but if you look at say the Spanish public’s reaction to the political parties after the Madrid train station bombings, we are nowhere near that level of public engagement and on the whole quite apathetic.

I would agree with the ridiculous delay in the public inquiry but that's almost endemic in British political culture, to delay while the emotional fallout is at it's highest until people start to "move on" and the emotions are less raw. I believe this is deliberate so that the public memory fades and the immediate and rigorous demands for justice and answers dissipate into the past. Then the inquiry can (possibly) bury failings, cost saving measures and mistakes by planners, contractors and local and national government, that have happened but been glossed over because they can't admit those mistakes and failings as it would make them look guilty of the deaths of those people. Which by the way, I believe they are.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Not sure if it belongs here or politics... 

A doctor is quitting the profession owing to the Cummins debacle. Sad. 

Sad? Ridiculous you mean. It’s probably bullshit as well

Here's the weekly update of stats for transmission done by the ONS.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/5june2020

I'd class myself as a bit of a realist/doom merchant when it comes to this virus but everyday I'm starting to believe a little bit more that this virus has a short shelf life and simply doesn't return on a large scale (like SARS and MERS).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/5june2020

I'd class myself as a bit of a realist/doom merchant when it comes to this virus but everyday I'm starting to believe a little bit more that this virus has a short shelf life and simply doesn't return on a large scale (like SARS and MERS).

I'd consider myself the same and am also feeling this way. Does seem to be a few things coming out that make it seem as though this could be the case. Would love to understand why though...

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Yeah mate, I’m optimistic this is the case. I’m hoping late summer/autumn looks very different to now.

8 minutes ago, Magictv said:

I'd consider myself the same and am also feeling this way. Does seem to be a few things coming out that make it seem as though this could be the case. Would love to understand why though...

I've started to feel this way a bit too.

I think it's because I've been so pleasantly surprised by just how little amount has come back in East Asia after they got over their first wave months ago.

Fingers crossed that August/September time they'll be none left or a very nominal amount at least left in western Europe too.