Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

44 minutes ago, Magictv said:

I'd consider myself the same and am also feeling this way. Does seem to be a few things coming out that make it seem as though this could be the case. Would love to understand why though...

33 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I've started to feel this way a bit too.

I think it's because I've been so pleasantly surprised by just how little amount has come back in East Asia after they got over their first wave months ago.

Fingers crossed that August/September time they'll be none left or a very nominal amount at least left in western Europe too.

It does seem like those East Asian nations have fantastic health control systems in place, probably the best examples I've read about are Vietnam and South Korea. They're very used to this threat and it's engrained within their culture. We've had to adapt to that.

The reason it disappears is most likely to be that it is actually really easy to contain and once we understand how it spreads (super spreading events) then we can do our maximum to reduce the risk at these events by either cancelling them or the risk not existing. The idea that one person could infect 100 people and 99 people could infect 0 is beyond any scientific imagination but there you go. I did read somewhere that once the R goes under 0.5, it is very unlikely to return in its current guise. Then if it does return it will be more transmissible but less lethal.

The next couple of weeks are going to be crucial stats wise. If cases continue to decline despite mass protests, relaxation of some conditions then we're in a good place. 

Edited by Lionator

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

142 corona virus deaths announced across the UK regions. By comparison there were 373 announced last Friday. Obviously thats still 142 sets of friends and families grieving but the trend is encouraging.

It's been encouraging like that for a good few weeks, to be honest. Weekly trends have come down significantly. Sikora (I know, people don't like him) has said as such as long as any other people saying so. Also along with trends and numbers which are there for everyone to see anyway. But because he says it, he gets stick for being too positive!

I would still be cautious. These next couple of weeks are a real litmus test, following the scenes of people I've seen heading back outdoors.

I'd say that first May Bank Holiday was where a potential uptick would have started, so perhaps it's wise to see how that impacts the the numbers from this weekend and onwards. 

Father's Day weekend I am hoping to do something with my family, who live two hours away but I want to see what the numbers are like and I'll be spending the week beforehand as isolated/ distant as possible. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's been encouraging like that for a good few weeks, to be honest. Weekly trends have come down significantly. Sikora (I know, people don't like him) has said as such as long as any other people saying so. Also along with trends and numbers which are there for everyone to see anyway. But because he says it, he gets stick for being too positive!

Some people don't like his generally positive outlook on life because it goes against the rampant misery which rattles around in their heads.

It's almost an "I'm not happy and nobody else should be either." attitude.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Some people don't like his generally positive outlook on life because it goes against the rampant misery which rattles around in their heads.

The stick he's getting is ridiculous. Way over the top for someone who's just stating facts at the end of the day, essentially.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nalis said:

142 corona virus deaths announced across the UK regions. By comparison there were 373 announced last Friday. Obviously thats still 142 sets of friends and families grieving but the trend is encouraging.

Curious where did you get 142 from? 357 deaths announced today according to worldometer.

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Curious where did you get 142 from? 357 deaths announced today according to worldometer.

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes the BBC are reporting 357 too

200+ backdated deaths added apparently, so those didn't happen recently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can't see us being far behind. I think we'll see this happen to us in the last week of July.

Very late July/early August was when I though some semblance of pub reopening would happen.

Edited by Finnaldo

21 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I would still be cautious. These next couple of weeks are a real litmus test, following the scenes of people I've seen heading back outdoors.

I'd say that first May Bank Holiday was where a potential uptick would have started, so perhaps it's wise to see how that impacts the the numbers from this weekend and onwards. 

Father's Day weekend I am hoping to do something with my family, who live two hours away but I want to see what the numbers are like and I'll be spending the week beforehand as isolated/ distant as possible. 

Whilst the "official" R number is still 0.7-0.9. A Public Health England and Cambridge University analysis suggest we're at 0.9-1, and above 1 in the North West and South West.

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

200+ backdated deaths added apparently, so those didn't happen recently

What are Spain doing with their figures?  They had a week with figures around 70-100 per day, then a day of nearly 700, then they wiped nearly 2000 off the sheet.  Next day was 280, then just 16 in 9 days!

Something not quite right there.

19 minutes ago, Sampson said:

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes the BBC are reporting 357 too

Got it from BBC at the time but I see now see they've updated it to include care home figures so you are both correct.

Good news is that its still less than last Friday's figure.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, nnfox said:

What are Spain doing with their figures?  They had a week with figures around 70-100 per day, then a day of nearly 700, then they wiped nearly 2000 off the sheet.  Next day was 280, then just 16 in 9 days!

Something not quite right there.

Holidays are coming,  holidays are coming. 

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

22 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Absolutely Geoff. I would bet that these people are at the minute either:-

Shielding

Self-Isolating

WFH

Furloughed

Suffering mental health issue because of one of the above

I do feel for those from the first two on my list. It must be really hard as time goes on. I imagine it is difficult NOT to become slightly agoraphobic and even paranoid after such a long time locked away. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just been sent something, we may be opening up Saturday 4th July! Keep your eyes peeled!

My missus works in the trade, though not an actual venue, and is being brought back off furlough in two weeks. Clearly the industry knows something the rest of us don't.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just been sent something, we may be opening up Saturday 4th July! Keep your eyes peeled!

I'm guessing to start off with it could be beer garden only set up or something similar to the tweet earlier on how Ireland are opening pubs and restaurants?

Edited by Nalis

Just out of interest how would people feel about going to pubs? Depending on the figures at the time, I'd avoid crowded, city-centre pubs for a few more months but would probably be ok in more spacious places, definitely if there was space outside.