Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Even me generally supportive of some form in restrictions funds a mask outdoors a step too far. 

As winter draws on you might find it keeps you warm.,

checking out the global situation and it seems that the USA could have plateaued out on its current cycle and might be on a slow rise again.  Italy, which had bucked the trend of rising European cases may now be joining its neighbours......

whilst the increase in USA cases might be tough to suss out due to the size of the country, it will be interesting to find out if the possible rise in Italy can be pinned down ...

it’s worrying to see the rise in fatalities in countries who seemed to have controlled the first wave quite well (ie. Poland) 

but if wearing masks/coverings might mean that some of us don’t die, apparently it’s a step too far .....

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’m in Spain now and yes everyone wears  a face mask outside.

I’ve noticed a lot of people in the UK doing the same to be honest. A lot more than I ever thought there would be! 

The people who wear masks when driving in their cars make me laugh though for some reason lol 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’ve noticed a lot of people in the UK doing the same to be honest. A lot more than I ever thought there would be! 

The people who wear masks when driving in their cars make me laugh though for some reason lol 

Personally i have no problem wearing a face mask, i barely notice so i dont even think to take it off in the car.

Its not like im scared the virus is going to creep in through the windows and infect me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I know right, even with no one else in the car!

Important tip about masks I learned the hard way. Don't suck a menthol sweet while wearing one; the fumes when you breath out go into your eyes and make them water mightily!

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So, just to be clear, some people are fed up with restrictions and want things back to normal, but the same people are unhappy with measures which may be put in place to make this possible? Is that what I'm reading?

Pretty much.

Probably the same kind of person who walked into a small shop I was in today, past waiting customers (who were waiting because the sign on the door said 4 customers only at one time and I was that 4th customer) with his kid and neither wearing a mask.

Given, he might have a unseen medical condition, but dyscalculia as well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

As winter draws on you might find it keeps you warm.,

I currently wear a gaiter anyway as I find it more easier to pull up and down rather than face mask on and off. 

As someone who enjoys a good long walk and a decent run, I’ll admittedly find hard to comply for face masks to be worn in open air. 

Government’s own scientists have said it’s around less than 2% of Covid cases that are picked up in external environments. 

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You can disagree yet comply 

Of course, I haven't suggested that people may not comply. But why spend hours whining and moaning that they want things to go back to normal, because they want to live their lives regardless of the impact on others, to then move on to whining and moaning that measures may be put in place to enable exactly what they want to happen?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I currently wear a gaiter anyway as I find it more easier to pull up and down rather than face mask on and off. 

As someone who enjoys a good long walk and a decent run, I’ll admittedly find hard to comply for face masks to be worn in open air. 

Government’s own scientists have said it’s around less than 2% of Covid cases that are picked up in external environments. 

A few months ago there was hardly any virus out there ....... add to that sunlight limits the ability of the infection to spread ........outside events simply did not see any transmission....

but as winter draws on that may change somewhat, especially if we get cold and still conditions ....... I expect it’s all to do with trying to get us all wearing some kind,of covering .....if they’re off and on then it becomes more complicated - if they’re on all the time then it’s much more straightforward..... how much difference it makes we won’t know for some time but it definitely wouldn’t make it worse !  

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The average age of those who have died from coronavirus in England and Wales since the start of the pandemic is 82.4 years old.’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/average-age-of-coronavirus-fatalities-is-82-pcwqrzdzz

Which is slightly above the average lifespan of 79.9 in 2019. 

Guest Harrydc
6 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I love it.

We have people who want us to learn to live with the virus and get back to some normal. This is likely a necessary evil to achieving that. People either accept the new rules and changes to be able to have that bit of normality or we end up back in a lockdown. 

Face masks have been scientifically proven not to work. Give me a good reason to wear one when going on a morning stroll. 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Face masks have been scientifically proven not to work. Give me a good reason to wear one when going on a morning stroll. 

Have you got scientific papers to back that up or simply your opinion? 

If you're walking through a busy area, a mask would protect yourself and others. 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If you're walking through a busy area, a mask would protect yourself and others. 

'Scientifically proven' tells you all you need to know.

Guest Harrydc

It really is astonishing to me how many people are just accepting everything being told to them. More people have died of suicide than covid over the last few months, mental health deteriorating, businesses falling apart, millions being made redundant. Does that not concern anyone? Or will you still accept all of this in 2 years time for your own 'safety'? 

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19216002/

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/face-masks-to-prevent-transmission-of-influenza-virus-a-systematic- review/64D368496EBDE0AFCC6639CCC9D8BC05

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00307.x

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/188/8/567

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/11/1934/4068747

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2749214

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jebm.12381

There is plenty out there to suggest that they are not effective.  Certainly "a face covering" is not effective.  The WHO state as such. 

image.png.eea5ccc8bf919adb5109aeef37f249ab.png

N95 masks are the most efficient but are not mandatory so why do the govt persist in forcing "a face covering" when these are not effective?  They should be making N95 masks mandatory.  

3 hours ago, bovril said:

Watching college football from Texas and it's packed. People wearing masks but spending all game high fiving and hugging each other. Insane. 

Americans traditionally are less concerned than us about continuing to breathe for as long as possible.  There are many more people over there who happily carry on eating fried food all day and every day, not because they don't know it's bad for them, but because they are willing to take their chance.