Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

And this shite still continues... 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/island-based-directors-linked-to-122-million-uk-ppe-contract/

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/09/14/government-awards-122-million-ppe-contract-to-one-month-old-firm/

it can’t be that difficult to dig deep enough to make connections within the party and donors ......

Edited by st albans fox

10 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Face masks have been scientifically proven not to work. Give me a good reason to wear one when going on a morning stroll. 

1 hour ago, joachim1965 said:

it will not.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fprevent-getting-sick%2Fcloth-face-cover.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/who-mask-study-confirms-effectiveness-1.5607318

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Margaret Ferrier is a piece of work isn't she? Now saying it was 'a blip' and that Covid makes you do weird things lol

It’s a bizarre one really. My understanding is that she had symptoms so shouldn’t have travelled to London from Scotland was it? She then had a test whilst in London and having no home there decided she needed to get back to Scotland... at this juncture she needs to find a way of getting home safely - even if it’s hiring a car and driving (which has its own issues when ill) I can imagine somebody in that position panicking but getting on a train was not a cool option at all... Just thinking I bet she was unsure what to do as I’d have thought checking in to a hotel wasn’t an option either... 

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

It’s a bizarre one really. My understanding is that she had symptoms so shouldn’t have travelled to London from Scotland was it? She then had a test whilst in London and having no home there decided she needed to get back to Scotland... at this juncture she needs to find a way of getting home safely - even if it’s hiring a car and driving (which has its own issues when ill) I can imagine somebody in that position panicking but getting on a train was not a cool option at all... Just thinking I bet she was unsure what to do as I’d have thought checking in to a hotel wasn’t an option either... 

Yeah she had symptoms on Saturday, took a test hadn't had the results yet still travelled to Monday before knowing the test results. 

She shouldn't have travelled on Monday to London. Found out she was positive on Monday during being at Commons. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah she had symptoms on Saturday, took a test hadn't had the results yet still travelled to Monday before knowing the test results. 

She shouldn't have travelled on Monday to London. Found out she was positive on Monday during being at Commons. 

So the first decision which was certainly incompetent means the second decision she had to make was an impossible one as then she was stuck in London 100’s of miles from home having tested positive... 

I bet she was sat on a Monday afternoon wondering what the hell to do... there are no simple options by that point... it’s not like really she could just check in to a hotel?

15 minutes ago, Nick said:

So the first decision which was certainly incompetent means the second decision she had to make was an impossible one as then she was stuck in London 100’s of miles from home having tested positive... 

I bet she was sat on a Monday afternoon wondering what the hell to do... there are no simple options by that point... it’s not like really she could just check in to a hotel?

Air bnb?

18 minutes ago, Nick said:

Also where did she stop Monday night? Could she not have extended her stay?

I appreciate that Ferrier was in a tricky situation, but at the very least shouldn't she have been capable of getting advice from her party whips or parliamentary officials - or simply phoned 111 for advice?

I presume that it's not unheard of for people to get a Covid diagnosis while away from home, given that a significant number of people are staying or working away from home at any given time?

I imagine that she was panicking a bit, but someone in a position of responsibility should be able to deal with that.

She also mentioned her fear that she might be forced to isolate for a fortnight at the hotel where she'd stayed the previous night....so there may have been a self-justifying thought pattern: "I don't want to risk that, I just want to get home....I'll be alright on the train if I put a mask on and keep away from people...."

No excuses for her IMO, she has plenty of people she could have called, she's an MP for crying out loud. Stay in a hotel for 11 nights, rent a car, organise a larger taxi with the driver wearing full hazmat PPE, stay in an AirBnB. She's been a selfish twat but there's no chance she'll walk away, why would she from her 150k+ (expenses included) a year job?

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Margaret Ferrier is a piece of work isn't she? Now saying it was 'a blip' and that Covid makes you do weird things lol

Like driving 30 miles to see if you're fit to drive?

Edited by Buce

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

In Ivor's latest video, we also have a WHO representative who is now saying that lockdowns are ineffective.  

When Boris makes his statement on Monday, he'll have to bring his bus with him.

I Googled the WHO man in the interview on this video, and he also has this to say...

Some quotes from this article he wrote recently:https://www.4sd.info/covid-19-narratives/reflections-about-the-middle-path/

A middle path is needed….  Too many restrictions damage people’s livelihoods and provoke resentment.  ‘Virus run wild’ will lead to lots of deaths as well as debilitating long-Covid among younger people

People are encouraged to adopt all precautions all the time.  As Tedros of WHO says: ‘Do it All’: physical distancing, proper face-masking, hand/cough/surface hygiene, self-isolating when ill and shielding those most at risk.  There should be no exceptions anywhere.

From time to time it will be necessary briefly to restrict movement locally to enable suppression of outbreaks.  [NB Building public health capacity is not the same as implementing lockdowns.  It is about building up the capability of public health services to interrupt transmission in localities.  Experience around the world shows that this capability is key to a successful COVID responses.  Lockdowns just freeze the virus in pace they do not lead to elimination].

The reality is that the virus is a common foe: it is here to stay, and we all have roles to play in keeping it at bay.  People are the solution to stopping spikes and surges from welling up and overwhelming us all.

Presumably you agree with what he says? We're not actually in a lockdown are we, but we do have localised restrictions, which he says are necessary. He also advocates mask wearing, and acknowledges 'lots of deaths' if we fail to control the virus and let in run through the population, and long-Covid among younger people. None of that was mentioned though was it, I guess it just didn't fit the narrative of the video...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harrydc said:

It really is astonishing to me how many people are just accepting everything being told to them. More people have died of suicide than covid over the last few months, mental health deteriorating, businesses falling apart, millions being made redundant. Does that not concern anyone? Or will you still accept all of this in 2 years time for your own 'safety'? 

More people have died of suicide over the last few months than Covid?

Where are your figures, where’s your evidence?

You’re spouting big claims here so back them up 

😡

• Like 1

Are people really excusing someone for travelling pretty much the length of the country on public transport after testing positive?

Basically, do anything other than get on public transport an travel the length of the country. Get someone to hire a car for you or get someone to get you an apartment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

😡

Unfortunately, opinion expressed as verified fact seems to be the norm in these times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

The line about ‘I’m confused about the rules’. I don’t think you really need the rules on this one to realise taking that train was an idiotic idea 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...and then when the time comes they shit themselves, blame everyone else and "want more time", just like anybody else does.

Yeah, humans lacking foresight and taking risks based on that is definitely a thing and that's totally ok - so long as it is only themselves that they're potentially harming (or at least others consenting to take the same risk). That ain't the case here.

I'll direct this question to both of the above responses tbh, because I don't think I've heard a real response to it in all of this thread.

What is the alternative to local or national lockdowns/mask wearing and other measures, and how can it be proven that it will save more lives in the long term than the actions being carried out now?

"Proven" being the key word here.

Thank you for clarifying this for the benefit of everyone who doesn't want to be misled.

Misled!! ..People more worried about being misled,

Than:- just being pragmatic,flexable  & prudent in a pandemic..

Governments showing confusion,no forethought on any descision....is politics..!!

The People/public,electorate using different cross variables from  Public Health outlets, to push their own agendas, is IMO unanswerable & irresponsible...

The Base of the 2020 Human Life is We do have have a pandemic situation...

I would Think when in any  Doubt and lack of own knowledge and only 6 months into a World-pandemic

its clever & wise to be prudent by taking all the percentages

no matter how small or minute , & accept all precautions and not Chase around looking for manic unsociable,uncaring,incompetent excuses....

Whats wrong if we went a little too far to protect the basics of what we  have,so we give ourselve First a life's chance.

Its what you do and how you react and are pro-active that counts, not relying on any  Government confused information...

Being hard in these following thoughts,doesn't mean an animals,or  Child's pining looks doesn't soften me up...

But:-

Suicides have.                  followed us throughout history..

Depression has                     ". ".                 ".       "

Work/employment worries....Ditto.

Major local & World Social change needs...Ditto.

As Humans we have built ourselves enviromently into a shit hole..

We Take the easy way out by blaming governments & authorities even our neighbours,just to get on with our easy comfortable, non descisive comfortable lives.

We propaganda ourselves to shit,forget the others..!!

We kill and endanger ourselves for the most mundane useless reasons...

We seem to be more willing to put ourselves in danger, more to show we cant be easily conned, by Political or authority Dell-boy-antics...( You put them there)

If we cant re-think,re-asses, nor re-calculate our present and future lives,and are determined to re-Chase & accept our old normal ways back into Our lives...

We are even blind to our own creations of lies to protect & accept our OTT needs.

Then Goodnight ,godbless, & (god or whatever) help our useless selves....We dont deserve, any more of  Nature's hints....

Edited by fuchsntf

14 hours ago, Harrydc said:

It really is astonishing to me how many people are just accepting everything being told to them. More people have died of suicide than covid over the last few months, mental health deteriorating, businesses falling apart, millions being made redundant. Does that not concern anyone? Or will you still accept all of this in 2 years time for your own 'safety'? 

32 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

😡

https://factcheckni.org/articles/has-the-suicide-rate-increased-200-during-the-covid-19-lockdown-period/

It amazes me that people seem so willing to blindly swallow the latest nonsense being spouted on Facebook/Twitter/YouTube, and then just accept it as fact without actually doing any checking that it is even remotely close to being factual. The worrying thing is that so many people actually seem to believe the bullshit, the funniest thing though is when it's followed by coming on here and asking why people believe what they are told, with absolutely no irony whatsoever lol 

Just in the last 24 hours we've had claims that:

There's been more suicides - no, there haven't

Millions have been made redundant - not in the UK they haven't

Face masks don't work - yes they do

Mental health is suffering - I'd suggest getting off the absolute cesspools of misinformation that are FB and Twitter then, that might help...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It amazes me that people seem so willing to blindly swallow the latest nonsense being spouted on Facebook/Twitter/YouTube, and then just accept it as fact without actually doing any checking that it is even remotely close to being factual. The worrying thing is that so many people actually seem to believe the bullshit, the funniest thing though is when it's followed by coming on here and asking why people believe what they are told, with absolutely no irony whatsoever lol 

Mental health is suffering - I'd suggest getting off the absolute cesspools of misinformation that are FB and Twitter then, that might help...

Social media makes the life of a science communicator an order of magnitude more difficult.

But at the same time I personally wouldn't have it any other way, because being able to reach so many more people with science information is a good that outweighs the bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Social media makes the life of a science communicator an order of magnitude more difficult.

But at the same time I personally wouldn't have it any other way, because being able to reach so many more people with science information is a good that outweighs the bad.

It's just unfortunate that the voices of misinformation seem to be so much louder than those of the truths, at least that's how it seems at present

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's just unfortunate that the voices of misinformation seem to be so much louder than those of the truths, at least that's how it seems at present

I would put that down to squeaky wheels making more noise rather than there being an overabundance of that misinformation, but tbh given the state of the world I wouldn't be 100% sure on that.

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That's the main issue there Deb. People take what they read on twitter/FB as gospel, then ignore any valued and worthwhile sources. People don't critically think about what they're reading or taking on board and take it as the whole truth, arguing to the death over it.

I have no doubt some topics have accurate arguments on both sides both backed with a degree of accuracy.

• Like 1