Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

The only worry I'll have with wearing masks as the norm is our immunity towards stuff like the common cold or the flu, but I imagine that data will come out within the next 12 months or so. I must say it's refreshing to have not caught a cold this year (so far), Normally due to the nature of my work I'm working with 2 or 3 lads all night, before sitting in the same van as them travelling, then going back to a depot and sitting in the same room as 5 or 6 other people. Usually I have 2 or 3 colds a year and about 5 sore throats, this year I think I've had one sore throat, and that was March just as COVID hit.

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Next slide please...

The data is there for all to see.  Why are govt and their decision making not being challenged over this?

I can’t take this stuff seriously when within 1 minute he’s talking a bit of bollocks. To suggest it was already on a downwards trend and it just followed suit after that is utter crap really. Look at the rest of the graph, there were ups and downs all the time, the number of days he’s taking as showing it’s already on a downwards trend was tiny and looked inline with previous troughs. 

Guest Harrydc
36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...not talking about the mask wearing which was part of the original post, then?

It was a combination of mask wearing and social distancing. 

I fear that in the future, people are going to be so accustomed to it all that they will naturally social distance. As for the masks, I have already spoken to a couple of people who say they will be happy for masks to remain mandatory post COVID! Ridiculous! 

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It was a combination of mask wearing and social distancing. 

I fear that in the future, people are going to be so accustomed to it all that they will naturally social distance. As for the masks, I have already spoken to a couple of people who say they will be happy for masks to remain mandatory post COVID! Ridiculous! 

Aer masks so bad?  They protect us from spreading diseases, keep your face warm in the cold, and frankly being in the nation with the planet's highest density of CCTV camera's it's maybe not such a terrible idea to be in the habit of wearing a face covering of some kind if you're genuinely concerned about shady forces controlling us by tricking us all into being socially aware and health-conscious.

Guest Harrydc
17 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Aer masks so bad?  They protect us from spreading diseases, keep your face warm in the cold, and frankly being in the nation with the planet's highest density of CCTV camera's it's maybe not such a terrible idea to be in the habit of wearing a face covering of some kind if you're genuinely concerned about shady forces controlling us by tricking us all into being socially aware and health-conscious.

At the very least, post COVID they should be optional, and no one should be shamed for choosing not to wear one. 

3 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

At the very least, post COVID they should be optional, and no one should be shamed for choosing not to wear one. 

Tbf I think a fair amount of people will carry on in public places, it's been the norm in parts of East Asia for years

23 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Won't have an issue with masks being used in public transport myself or anywhere else which needs hygiene controls more difficult to achieve. 

Social distancing? Nowhere in a million that will hang around. How long did it take the footballers in goal celebrations before they were hugging again?

23 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

In normal circumstances you don't want to be prevented from spreading diseases.  It's by catching relatively minor diseases that your immune system gets experience for when it matters.  War of the Worlds isn't the only scenario whereby a race gets wiped out by meeting a virus when that they hadn't practised against, so to speak.

13 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Post covid, sure, but we're slap bang in the middle of it and anybody choosing not to wear a mask right now is a moron, a total conspiracy nut who would rather block recovery efforts than go without the endorphins of 'knowing' something the scientists and sheep don't.

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

In normal circumstances you don't want to be prevented from spreading diseases.  It's by catching relatively minor diseases that your immune system gets experience for when it matters.  War of the Worlds isn't the only scenario whereby a race gets wiped out by meeting a virus when that they hadn't practised against, so to speak.

So now we should stop wearing masks to protect us from a novel virus we're still developing vaccines for because you're afraid of the common cold?  What is going on?

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

So now we should stop wearing masks to protect us from a novel virus we're still developing vaccines for because you're afraid of the common cold?  What is going on?

lol

Pretty sure he's talking about once Covid-19 is controlled...You two were talking about wearing masks after the pandemic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol

Pretty sure he's talking about once Covid-19 is controlled...You two were talking about wearing masks after the pandemic.

Fair enough, is there any evidence coming out of places where masks are commonplace that this is a legitimate concern?  Surely a study's come out of Japan or SK on this?

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Fair enough, is there any evidence coming out of places where masks are commonplace that this is a legitimate concern?  Surely a study's come out of Japan or SK on this?

On that I have no idea. I do think we will see more people that want to wear masks feel like they can do it now though, with it being more normalised here.

It's not for me, but if people who are genuinely concerned about catching something feel more comfortable doing it, then that's a positive.

Just now, filbertway said:

On that I have no idea. I do think we will see more people that want to wear masks feel like they can do it now though, with it being more normalised here.

It's not for me, but if people who are genuinely concerned about catching something feel more comfortable doing it, then that's a positive.

I think it's quite an important point if it's going to be used as a counterargument.  The claim that we're weakening our immune systems can't be made on a hunch, if there's any truth to it whatsoever then the relevant data will have been coming out of SE Asia for a couple of decades and shouldn't be hard to find.

• Like 1

I think people will soon forget about mask wearing once we're back to "normality". It may carry on for a short period but I think it will fade away. 

I won't be in any rush to continue wearing them, I wear one wherever I have to but don't enjoy it, even for a short period. The wife wears one all day for work and I couldn't imagine doing that personally. For someone who has a bit of stutter at times, I find it that little bit harder to communicate with people whilst wearing one. 

16 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Weekly deaths now running at an average around 2500/3000.  I noticed that France reported over 800 today. Even Germany almost 200. This is a lag count from the increase in cases a month ago.  the hospitals are coping at the moment but if people were left to police themselves I’m afraid it wouldn’t be pretty over here.  I can’t accept a straight comparison with Sweden - the swedes are healthier than us to begin with and their social lives are different.  I would like to think that if the data over here shows a response in cases dropping notably by the end of week three then govt should have the balls to make some changes re things like youth team sports, non risk outdoor pursuits like golf and tennis in pairs and potentially even re opening some large shops where social distancing is easily achieved .... 

I get the logic but if we have gone into a lockdown then I would have prefer it if the government gave it a full go rather than to remove some restrictions at end of week three when we would only have another week to go anyway.   It is not worth the hassle of whatboutism arguments and renewal confusion on the rules which the roll out would have been botched by the government anyway.  

I agree that at the end of the month lockdown,  the restrictions should be reviewed and changed accordingly.  

48 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54885657

Mass testing for 67 local areas - however the city which has been in a form of lockdown the longest (Leicester) won't be getting them. 

I don’t understand this, other then maybe so many have had the virus here already. But on that logic there are still more that haven’t, it’s a very odd decision