Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, The whole world smiles said:

Vaccine round the corner, that lunatic out the white house and Leicester are top of the league today is surely a day all humanity can rejoice! 

Spurs fans?

Oh, wait... you said humanity.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Wonder if the same doom merchants that have graced this thread will post with the same regularity tonight as the average night for the past few months?

Positive news! Really, really positive news. Get in. Light at the end of the tunnel at last.

Granted nothing is confirmed yet but if you can't get excited about this I seriously worry for you.

yes  - light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train coming the other way !

looking forward to being at the KP in time for the trophy presentation ……...

quickest vaccine turnaround in history, we are all about to be chipped.. wooohoo

and if you think they tell you everything... BREAKING NEWS: Ex-defence worker who disclosed top secret details of a UK missile system, has changed his plea and admitted breaching Official Secrets Act...more follows

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Haha 1

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

quickest vaccine turnaround in history, we are all about to be chipped.. wooohoo

Have you seen the NHS computer systems

and the track and trace suite, they can barely cope with sending a ****ing letter to the right person let alone a mass chip and trace of the whole country lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Wonder if the same doom merchants that have graced this thread will post with the same regularity tonight as the average night for the past few months?

Positive news! Really, really positive news. Get in. Light at the end of the tunnel at last.

Granted nothing is confirmed yet but if you can't get excited about this I seriously worry for you.

There won't be any more lockdowns after this one, if the vaccine works as well as initial reports say. We'll all have to go back to arguing about Marc albrighton (or most likely Brexit)

16 minutes ago, Fktf said:

There won't be any more lockdowns after this one, if the vaccine works as well as initial reports say. We'll all have to go back to arguing about Marc albrighton (or most likely Brexit)

We cant even argue about Perez since Brendan's binned him off. Will have to resort to the weather at this rate.

Guest Markyblue

Scientists very rarely get over excited,this seems the real deal ,  a good day by any standards. Who would have thought being able eventually to hug friends and family would be so big a deal at the start of the year. Keep safe everyone we are heading out the tunnel. 

I’m a layman so can only take this vaccine news at face value, but it’s the first time I’ve felt any sense of real optimism in all this.

However, I’m cautious of previous ‘game changers’ over the last few months that just fizzled out. Add to that the noise online - Reddit in particular where there is still a lot of negativity in terms of the sample size and logistics etc.

Its a strange feeling when it’s been all doom and gloom for close to a year now, but now I’m terrified of it being snatched away - it’s the hope that kills you!

4 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I’m a layman so can only take this vaccine news at face value, but it’s the first time I’ve felt any sense of real optimism in all this.

However, I’m cautious of previous ‘game changers’ over the last few months that just fizzled out. Add to that the noise online - Reddit in particular where there is still a lot of negativity in terms of the sample size and logistics etc.

Its a strange feeling when it’s been all doom and gloom for close to a year now, but now I’m terrified of it being snatched away - it’s the hope that kills you!

43,000 is a huge sample size, you're not going to get many RCT's (this sort of trial) with that many participants. 90% efficacy gives a lot of leeway in effectiveness. This is the GAME changer, it'll get authorised in the UK and across Europe by the end of this month and I suspect the Astra Zeneca/Oxford vaccine will soon follow before Christmas. Then once the most vulnerable are protected, there'll be a 'third wave' of cases but minimal hospitalisations and deaths, before the rest of the population get their jab. The ONLY danger is a lot of people refusing to take the vaccine however with such high effectiveness, around 70% of the population taking it should induce herd immunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can someone explain to me why care home residents are prioritised in the first set of vaccinations?  I get why you would want to vaccinate the staff but surely the residents are then protected and it’s more important to protect the elderly general public and vulnerable so the economy can restart properly. 

Boris trying to preserve his voters?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can someone explain to me why care home residents are prioritised in the first set of vaccinations?  I get why you would want to vaccinate the staff but surely the residents are then protected and it’s more important to protect the elderly general public and vulnerable so the economy can restart properly. 

I guess because they are likely to have to leave the homes to go for things like hospital visits, so it's not just the worry of staff bringing the virus in, it can be residents as well. Obviously then because of how many people are living under one rough there is a danger that it could easily spread between several vulnerable residents in quick succession. In contract if following social distancing guidelines the elderly general public are less likely to have such a risk of exposure. It is noticeable though that they don't reference younger vulnerable people on their immediate priority list and that does seem an oversight to me.