Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Mass testing in Liverpool surely plays a big part in that?!

Those figure have not fed into the data yet, according to the article, it also says it could be due to the pre lockdown gatherings. I personally think it's because we're all stuck indoors on our fat arses passing it around amoungst ourselves instead of being outdoors where the virus quickly dissipates. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Liverpool have only found 220 cases out of 45k tests. It has very little to do with that.

Does that not seem a bit low considering its supposed to be a hot spot. So where have these 30k come from?

Doesn't sound right to me.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

4 people out of 6 in our house have developed a stinking cold, all with a terrible cough.

Literally came on to all of us within 24 hours.

All been tested for Covid, all negative.

But it shows how germs can spread so quickly.

Stay away from people! 

Yep, I'm a teacher and I usually get a cold every 2 months at best. Haven't had one since February. Touch wood obviously. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

In related news, the US is closing in on 11 million cases.

4.5% of the worlds population, yet 20.4% of the world case count. Not good.

To he fair their testing is probably the best of the countries with the larger populations.

16 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Anyone who thinks outside the box, or questions anything going on is instantly called a "covidiot", and is wearing a "tin-foil hat". 

Surely questioning on-going matters is better than just accepting everything thrown at you? For example, people who state certain hospitals are empty instantly get ridiculed for being "inconsiderate" and having "selfish thoughts".

But anyway, keep being spoon fed information by the MSM, nothing I can do to change that. 

Opposed to being spoon fed information by other sources, mainly peddled by the right wing for their own nefarious reasons. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

In related news, the US is closing in on 11 million cases.

4.5% of the worlds population, yet 20.4% of the world case count. Not good.

Part of that is because much of the world isn't counting.  How reliable are Russia's, China's, and India's figures, for example?  Even our case numbers are wildly inaccurate because the counting method in the second wave is far more efficient than in the first.

17 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Anyone who thinks outside the box

And so appreciating that this does not involve self-proclaimed overnight armchair 'expertise' following an evening gorging junk You Tube videos, quote mining, cherry picked confirmation bias and social media pseudoscience - do by all means share with us, how do you yourself "think out of the box"?

Is "thinking out of the box" what lead you to conclude that "scientific evidence proves that face masks don't work".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

And so appreciating that this does not involve self-proclaimed overnight armchair 'expertise' following an evening gorging junk You Tube videos, quote mining, cherry picked confirmation bias and social media pseudoscience - do by all means share with us, how do you yourself "think out of the box"?

Is "thinking out of the box" what lead you to conclude that "scientific evidence proves that face masks don't work".

Says the guy posting on the internet. Your BS is no better or worse than anyone else's, even your own cherry picked "scientific data".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simFox said:

Says the guy posting on the internet. 

It's a football forum, that's the general idea.

3 minutes ago, simFox said:

our BS is no better or worse than anyone else's, 

What ''bullshit' would that be? No use saying it.

4 minutes ago, simFox said:

even your own cherry picked "scientific data".

Which would be?

I am irrelevant. Known science has has a voice of its own. 

12 minutes ago, Line-X said:

It's a football forum, that's the general idea.

What ''bullshit' would that be? No use saying it.

Which would be?

I am irrelevant. Known science has has a voice of its own. 

You really need to get off your soap box, talking down to people as if your opinion is better than everyone else's. It isn't.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If it's based on scientific facts, then it's better than those not based on that. "All opinions are not equal".

There are prize winning scientists and experts on both sides of the debate, the Barrington declaration was signed by thousands of them. They're all making you tube videos and they've all been mined for quotes by everyone and articles posted in here with points on all angles. Yet somehow everything line-x reads on the internet, or watches, quotes and digests is from a better quality source.

Give over.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, simFox said:

There are prize winning scientists and experts on both sides of the debate, the Barrington declaration was signed by thousands of them. They're all making you tube videos and they've all been mined for quotes by everyone and articles posted in here with points on all angles. Yet somehow everything line-x reads on the internet, or watches, quotes and digests is from a better quality source.

Give over.

Yes, because all the widely respected and listened to people end up in the crazy wing of YouTube :rolleyes:

You and your lot are just plain dangerous, to be honest. Dangerous.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

To he fair their testing is probably the best of the countries with the larger populations.

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Part of that is because much of the world isn't counting.  How reliable are Russia's, China's, and India's figures, for example?  Even our case numbers are wildly inaccurate because the counting method in the second wave is far more efficient than in the first.

Fair point. However that and the current death count over there certainly puts the measures they've taken to constrain this thing in rather a harsh light.

38 minutes ago, simFox said:

Give over.

With respect, if a scientist was credible in the eyes of their peers and following the scientific method to provide credible results, they wouldn't have to rely only on a YouTube video to get the word out - they would also have peer reviewed, verified scientific literature backing their arguments.

I can only speak for myself here, but if such literature (rather than a "declaration" that can just be an assertion with no evidence) exists on "both sides" with equal frequency, I wouldn't mind reading it. Until then, however, the scientific method itself stipulates that some opinions are indeed more valuable than others on this matter. We've been here before with cigarettes and lung cancer and we're still here with climate change, after all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Fair point. However that and the current death count over there certainly puts the measures they've taken to constrain this thing in rather a harsh light.

In my opinion it's really hard to compare the numbers on this due to the fact that so many countries don't have to capability to keep an accurate count of infections/deaths. Some countries I imagine are massaging their numbers or just not bothering to count. I think America get unfairly battered because they're publishing what seem to be, realistic numbers whereas a lot of countries are getting a free pass because there's no official data saying they're struggling. 

My point really is that America seems to be in the media and talked about people the most, but I just don't believe that they are the only ones at that kind of level.

On that note, congratulations to Belarus for only having 1,097 deaths despite having no national lockdowns and hundreds of thousands of people protesting.

38 minutes ago, filbertway said:

In my opinion it's really hard to compare the numbers on this due to the fact that so many countries don't have to capability to keep an accurate count of infections/deaths. Some countries I imagine are massaging their numbers or just not bothering to count. I think America get unfairly battered because they're publishing what seem to be, realistic numbers whereas a lot of countries are getting a free pass because there's no official data saying they're struggling. 

My point really is that America seems to be in the media and talked about people the most, but I just don't believe that they are the only ones at that kind of level.

On that note, congratulations to Belarus for only having 1,097 deaths despite having no national lockdowns and hundreds of thousands of people protesting.

Agreed once again on the lack of good information worldwide.

However, you tend to get that kind of judgement when a country preaches exceptionalism (as, let's be honest, the US has done on this matter and on others) and then is found out to be just like or even worse than others they compare themselves to. I don't think that's inordinately unfair.

As for Belarus, evidently the vodka and saunas is the way to go. :D

Edited by leicsmac

Are there any projections from the counter scientists about how they think this is going to play out, or are they just content to say the current models are wrong?