Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Unfortunately you've decided not to answer what I actually wrote, but what you imagine me to have written.

The Australia one is a simple misunderstanding.  When I said (the bit you forgot to bold) "once the disease had taken hold", I was not referring to a relatively small number of cases like in Australia -  I was referring to huge numbers of cases like the UK.  By the time it occurred to our government to do what Australia did, it was too late.  So your supposition about Melbourne is irrelevant to my post.  

As for the hard lockdown, I suppose it is possible that our case reduction was entirely due to the hard lockdown,  But it's unlikely, because firstly cases were falling before hard lockdown started, and secondly because countries that didn't have a hard lockdown still had cases reduced.  Something else, as well as hard lockdown, caused the reduction.  I think once again you have misunderstood what I said - when I said "we don't know for certain how much effect the general, varying degrees of lockdown have had" I was not saying that I believe lockdown has made no difference.  I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't think my wording was all that obscure.

If you could helpfully quote the part where I said that lack of cancer screening was nothing to do with lockdown, I would be obliged.  I can't see how you've got that interpretation at all.

You’ve completely lost me I’m afraid. 

39 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'd be interested in what makes you believe in the former but not the latter when there is an equal lack of evidence for either.

But I guess that's for another thread.

Mathematics. :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That would depend upon whether the original post was referring to a belief in alien visitation, or the existence of extra-terrestrial life elsewhere in the universe. I'm sure that you'll find in respect of the latter, Buce entertains the near certainty of this. It's only a matter of time before we discover at the very least, non cellular life forms such as - dare I say - viruses and viroids - or single celled organisms in our own solar system. In respect of sentient life - it's doubtless out there, but the universe is so vast spatially and temporally that even if it did coincide with our own fleeting 'civilisation' it's likely that we'd never even know about it far less have been visited given the vast distances of interstellar space. 

As you know, known science is empirical as opposed to anecdotal and about evidence, not "belief". Buce is right, currently there is zero evidence of alien life.  

Completely agree, again, wasn't directed at him.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 13:06, leicsmac said:

Empathy not often extending beyond line of sight is really a thing, yeah. It's also something we could do with getting over because it's a pretty deep evolutionary flaw.

It goes back to primal instincts doesn't it. If it doesn't affect my immediate circle then why bother, it is something that needs to change though.

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Or, are people that haven’t been personally affected or don’t know anyone who’s had it. Don’t put me in that category though, I’m just giving another reason. If you’ve never seen a ghost or an alien, do you believe in their existence, probably not and you’d probably think people that claim that ghosts are real to be mad.

Not really comparable.

There's massive amounts of credible evidence of covid 19's existence everywhere. Even if you've not known anyone who's had it I'm sure most know someone who knows someone who's had it.

Plus, even if you think the governments of the world are all in on some massive conspiracy. Why would every frontline doctor and nurse in the world who are seeing the effects first hand, suddenly decide to start this conspiracy and invent a disease, that would take tens if not hundreds of millions of people to cover up and lie about?

Where there's never been any credible evidence of ghosts or aliens.

It's not the same thing at all. With ghosts and aliens existing you are going on blind faith, worh covid you are going on mountains of evidence. Even if you've never seen either.

Sinilarly, I never saw either World Wars either but my dad and granddad fought in them and told me about them and there's mountainous amounts of evidence they happened.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ollie93 said:

It goes back to primal instincts doesn't it. If it doesn't affect my immediate circle then why bother, it is something that needs to change though.

Yes, it does. And while on occasion we are entirely slave to those instincts, most of the time we don't have to be.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Not really comparable.

There's massive amounts of credible evidence of covid 19's existence everywhere. Even if you've not known anyone who's had it I'm sure most know someone who knows someone who's had it.

Plus, even if you think the governments of the world are all in on some massive conspiracy. Why would every frontline doctor and nurse in the world who are seeing the effects first hand, suddenly decide to start this conspiracy and invent a disease, that would take tens if not hundreds of millions of people to cover up and lie about?

Where there's never been any credible evidence of ghosts or aliens.

It's not the same thing at all. With ghosts and aliens existing you are going on blind faith, worh covid you are going on mountains of evidence. Even if you've never seen either.

Sinilarly, I never saw either World Wars either but my dad and granddad fought in them and told me about them and there's mountainous amounts of evidence they happened.

Erm, it's not a comparison.

Guest Harrydc

Anyone who thinks outside the box, or questions anything going on is instantly called a "covidiot", and is wearing a "tin-foil hat". 

Surely questioning on-going matters is better than just accepting everything thrown at you? For example, people who state certain hospitals are empty instantly get ridiculed for being "inconsiderate" and having "selfish thoughts".

But anyway, keep being spoon fed information by the MSM, nothing I can do to change that. 

Edited by Harrydc

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Heard a statistician on five live earlier assessing the govt mass testing - according to him, the lateral flow tests miss between 25 and 50% of cases  !!

could be the kit or could be the way the public test themselves with the swabs - either way, it isn’t a magic bullet ! 

The portion down report which was posted by someone in this thread already suggested that they  catch 70%  and more importantly most who are shedding virus .  It’s here also

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/oxford-university-and-phe-confirm-high-sensitivity-of-lateral-flow-tests

If someone has symptoms then the pcr is best but for finding infective but asymptomatic these are better than expected.

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54908680

33K cases reported today! Jesus Christ that's like a 50% increase from yesterday... :o

Backlogged or not, that's a terrible trajectory to be headed in.

i was wondering what happens when the mass testing in Liverpool begins to show - can we compare yesterday and today re positives and how many tests ???

48 minutes ago, Stivo said:

The portion down report which was posted by someone in this thread already suggested that they  catch 70%  and more importantly most who are shedding virus .  It’s here also

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/oxford-university-and-phe-confirm-high-sensitivity-of-lateral-flow-tests

If someone has symptoms then the pcr is best but for finding infective but asymptomatic these are better than expected.

evidently the report he was taking the info from was only issued yesterday 

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Potentially a £5 test coming in next year which gives a result in 15 mins, could be used for sporting events and concerts.

Sporting events will charge at least £14.95. Then you can sit at home and watch it instead.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54908680

33K cases reported today! Jesus Christ that's like a 50% increase from yesterday... :o

Backlogged or not, that's a terrible trajectory to be headed in.

Are those figures for yesterday as I assume today's test have not finished yet. If so there were 377 thousand tests done on the 11th, not people of course. That's around 70 thousand more than the day before. Still a worrying trend unless it is a one-off.

Edited by reynard