Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I think Starmer would have done us better tbf.

But the choice was Corbyn and althpugh it's obviously speculation, I'd almost certainly peg Corbyn down as a "work comes first, no lockdowns" kind of leader judging by his brother and his refusal to shield.

Edited by Sampson

17 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

This 'would an opposition party have handled it better' question is pointless. I would however say quite confidently that they wouldn't have banged out these multi-million pound contracts for test and trace etc to their mates.

They might also have signed up to the EU vaccine program which has failed to so far deliver much in the way of vaccines, and has not bought anything like enough to vaccinate it's population.

49 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

We can agree they aren't doing a great job of handling Covid, but I do disagree they are actively making society worse.  They might believe the route to a better society is a different route to yours, but to suggest actively making society worse is nonsense.  If Corbyn had won, I would at least credit him with wanting to improve the lot of minorities, even if I believe his methods don't work.

They will think killing off the paupers is to the betterment of society, and by that mark they're doing a fantastic job.

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

Lets be honest, whoever was in charge would be getting criticism and lots of it. Either we're locking down too much or not enough, Boris problem is he has attempted to keep everyone happy whilst managing to keep noone happy. 

This is true, but it's the brinkmanship that gets me.

I'm pretty anti-lockdown but if you're going to do it, do it quick to limit the damage. Don't delay the inevitable as it just makes lockdown longer and more stringent and more people die while you wait to implement it.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I despair at the choices of parties we've got, both the main ones are totally useless.

That may or may not be true but let's not forget Labour haven't been in power for  more than 10 years. 

The current steaming turd that is our covid response on top of an already crumbling public sector after 10 years of cuts was shat out solely by the Conservative party. 

I cant listen to any more "oh well at least its better than corbyn or labour would be just as bad" hypothetical nonsense. They got us into this mess they need to take responsibility and gets us out of it quick sharp. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

That may or may not be true but let's not forget Labour haven't been in power for  more than 10 years. 

The current steaming turd that is our covid response on top of an already crumbling public sector after 10 years of cuts was shat out solely by the Conservative party. 

I cant listen to any more "oh well at least its better than corbyn or labour would be just as bad" hypothetical nonsense. They got us into this mess they need to take responsibility and gets us out of it quick sharp. 

1,000% this. Corbyn isn't even the leader of the opposition any more. Not interested in talking about how things would have been. Let's talk about the current options and how we might be able to affect change. Corbyn is gone. Forget him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They might also have signed up to the EU vaccine program which has failed to so far deliver much in the way of vaccines, and has not bought anything like enough to vaccinate it's population.

But ‘may have’ is as pointless an argument as the one addressed in my first post. We can only deal with what we have in front of us, which is a bodged response as a result of BLATANT corruption.

In an odd way, there's an element of schadenfreude (albeit at our own expense) at the lack of intellect and strategy in Govt. 

The unintended consequences of Hancock's casual and unnecessary comment about this new strain last week. Was done for dramatic effect to justify London going into tier 3 and to cow the public. . Instead, he's ended up emptying the food shelves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Lets be honest we all know that if Labour were any good the Tories wouldn't have got an 80 seat majority 12 months ago. I'd love to be able to vote for them but they've got a long way to go to convince me.

Both shite but nothing convinces me that'll change anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

That may or may not be true but let's not forget Labour haven't been in power for  more than 10 years

High proportion of  public debt is funded over 15+ years. No Government starts with a clean slate. The next Government will have their hands tied very tight for,example.

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think Starmer would have done us better tbf.

But the choice was Corbyn and althpugh it's obviously speculation, I'd almost certainly peg Corbyn down as a "work comes first, no lockdowns" kind of leader judging by his brother and his refusal to shield.

I get the feeling Corbyn would’ve pressed the panic button in mid March and gone full on lockdown.His instincts would be to protect the workforce no matter what.Not to say that they wouldn’t  have made a pigs ear of it though.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

High proportion of  public debt is funded over 15+ years. No Government starts with a clean slate. The next Government will have their hands tied very tight for,example.

In that case do New Labour get a pass with you because they were only in charge for 13 years not the magic 15+?

come on mate if we can't hold governments responsible after nearly 11 years and 3 prime miniesters then when does the current state of the country become the governments fault?   

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

In that case do New Labour get a pass with you because they were only in charge for 13 years not the magic 15+?

come on mate if we can't hold governments responsible after nearly 11 years and 3 prime miniesters then when does the current state of the country become the governments fault?   

After 15 years, he’s already told you that. 

21 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

1,000% this. Corbyn isn't even the leader of the opposition any more. Not interested in talking about how things would have been. Let's talk about the current options and how we might be able to affect change. Corbyn is gone. Forget him.

Corbyn isn't even a labour mp anymore lol for years tories have used him as a shield and thats partly why we are in this mess. They have basically offered no fresh ideas, no leadership, no vision for the country and gotten away with it by saying "oh well at least we aren't that guy'.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 2

Just now, The whole world smiles said:

Did I say I gave  them a pass?? Stop looking for what is not there, but my point is pertinent, any government is in part liable to their predecessors.
This Government wastes a lot of money, and clearly have horrid tendencies to cronyism.

And I did not vote for them lol