Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Although he's ITV's political editor, he's also one of the countries' most accomplished economic journalists. He's well within his right to put the Prime Minister on the spot about Brexit during a live press conference to try and get at least half-coherent answer from him. 

Of course Boris couldn't manage it.

In fact just showed his utter contempt when he turned to Schapps and smirked.

To be fair I was talking about his COVID question, where I feel he doesn't put him on the spot, just asks questions like 'Can you say that tier 3 is going to be enough?' or something ridiculous like that. He doesn't ask him about the accuracy of the COVID tests being used, doesn't ask him about the graphs used previously in these briefings, hasn't asked him about the evidence that they've obtained now or in the past (the evidence used to put us into lockdown last month which turned out to be out of date). It's been the same in all these briefings I see, they don't grill them about actual evidence or stats, they just say can you guarantee this and if it doesn't work they then say 'aha, gotcha!', much like I imagine the back to normality by Easter quote from Boris will be used by me in March:D

EDIT: I should add these may have been asked in the past, but everytime I watch it's just the same questions 'Can you guarantee **** etc.'.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

23 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This is the issue.  The PCR testing itself isn't accurate enough on a mass scale.  There's murmurings coming from some areas to suggest that the laboratories taking in samples are overworked, not taking necessary precautions and are not being run in an appropriate manner.

The problems all stem from the testing process.

Today, there were 215 deaths where covid was present in the last 28 days. 33000 were tested positive, but that's not really important because what we really want to know is if we catch it, will we die from it or, in other words, what are our chances of surviving it.I don't know in how many hospitals those deaths were spread over , but let's say 30 considering there are around 1800 hospitals in the UK, as far as i can work out. So that's something like 7 people dying each day in each hospital "from covid". Is it really that difficult to write down what those 7 people have died from and enter it into a database?

Edited by yorkie1999

41 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

:D ...   and another thing ...   he said the actual number of deaths compared to last year have gone down over the last 6 months ...  

Did he have any info on digital vaccine chips, 5G or the conspiracy to prevent us playing the euro millions lottery? (I mean either your mate or the funeral director here - just as long as it’s confirmed ad hoc heresay)

lol 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

For EU countries to block their UK borders is pointless, since the new B.1.1.7 variant has already got a foothold on the continent. The UK is the world's leader in genome sequencing, so it seems like we're being punished for having detected it first! 

Or they block the borders to stop more of the virus coming in? No?

Still want to keep the schools open as well if possible. Just kick them down for jan see if it helps slow the numbers down at all. Also the figures for positive tests could they be everyone trying to get tested before they go see their family’s for Xmas tht why there is so many and a lot of people could have no symptoms? 

58 minutes ago, String fellow said:

For EU countries to block their UK borders is pointless, since the new B.1.1.7 variant has already got a foothold on the continent. The UK is the world's leader in genome sequencing, so it seems like we're being punished for having detected it first! 

Rather than warning others we could be silencing/killing doctors, watching the mutation spread everywhere and then watch everyone else suffer long term while we get back to normality.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Or they block the borders to stop more of the virus coming in? No?

Honestly, I don’t see the point. It will definitely be across Europe already, given it was first spotted in September, and even if it isn’t there’s no way they’ll stop it in the long term. I think the original comment is right; we’re being punished for spotting it.

24 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Is it impossible that a Christmas break with many people not going to work and kids not going to school might actually help to slow the virus down a bit? Or am I being blindly optimistic with that?

In theory it should, but that would rely on people following in - place restrictions. I don't think they will. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dunge said:

Is it impossible that a Christmas break with many people not going to work and kids not going to school might actually help to slow the virus down a bit? Or am I being blindly optimistic with that?

It might help to slow it a bit but you only have to look at the scenes the other night of all those people trying to get out of London who will now be spreading the new variant even more around the country plus the idiotic Christmas idea and the fact that schools have been kept open when it is now looking as if this new strain is easily spread by children to see there is only one way we are heading and that is into yet another national lockdown.

We're frankly now in a race. Can we possibly vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable and all those over 50 quickly enough to get us out of this mess or will infection become so widespread so quickly that hospitals will basically only be able to treat covid patients?

Considering the very first person to be vaccinated in this country will not be theoretically protected until 5th January my money is on the virus right now unless there is a strict lockdown, enforced by law, rather like the ones they had in Italy and Spain. This isn't what I want but I think it is what will happen.

• Like 1

What people forget is that the NHS is pulling people through. If they can’t cope, then the survival % will drop. It won’t just be the impact on the people with COVID, it’ll be other illnesses and people within ICU that are affected. 

If / when they get overwhelmed by everyone meeting up over Christmas (which is going to happen), then we could have an issue on our hands if it reaches uncontrollable levels. 

I saw a post on one of my local spotted pages requesting people avoid meeting up over Christmas. Over 400 comments like “stuff the government”, “the virus is a hoax”, “I’ll be meeting up with the entire family” etc, before it was taken down. 

We’ve been in two trains of thought with this since the start, however we’ve decided to have Christmas dinner at home on our own. 

As a conservative voter, I may have said before that I initially thought we’d handled the virus quite well. My opinion is now that we’re in a complete mess. If you look how much better other countries have controlled it. The blame doesn’t sit at the governments door entirely for the spread of the virus, as it’s people not adhering to the convoluted, ever changing messages they put out. 

The government has asked that people do certain things. Whilst you have the small % that don’t, the R rate stands a chance of growing. Whilst these people aren’t dealt with, then the people who are on the fence also adopt the “no mask, drop social distancing, meet up” etc approach. If they’d been harder with the approach of slapping people with fines, stop searches etc, then we wouldn’t be where we are now. 

To think that I need to wear a mask for a haircut in a one on one situation, however I can go and play 6 a side, which is a contact sport with about 60 other people present, or having schools still open doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fktf said:

Some of you still need to move away from the idea that death rate is the main driver of restrictions. 

People have had more than 9 months of this being explained to them over and over and over again. If they still don't get it I don't think they ever will sadly. 

• Like 2