Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, bovril said:

Totally missed the point of my post. Whatever. 

I think we're probably just operating on different levels. Let's leave it there, eh?

Have a nice evening and best of luck through life nodding and agreeing with every opinion you ever hear ventured.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

And neither would I; but this chap is aloof and judgemental and 'holier than thou'. Evidently knows his scripture but refuses to give other views the respect I believe the archetypal 'christian' values encourage.

If you come on and preach and belittle others, then as far as I'm concerned, be prepared to take your medicine.

I appreciate our attitude on this differs, so I'll leave it there.

Fine, but just take it over to the Religion thread.

17 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

This must be from one of the more obscure books from the bible? I'm struggling to place it.

Can you give me a clue? Is it nearer the talking snake and woman eating a forbidden apple? Or all people who don't believe in a fairy tale, burning in eternal damnation?

Happy to have a conversation with you about religion, in the religion thread but you don’t seem that keen to debate seriously but instead try and ridicule. You’re welcome to do that by the way, doesn’t bother me but could I politely ask you keep to the right thread so it doesn’t get banned again please?

Just now, The People's Hero said:

I think we're probably just operating on different levels. Let's leave it there, eh?

Have a nice evening and best of luck through life nodding and agreeing with every opinion you ever hear ventured.

lol couldn't resist another sarcastic comment.

Ray of light you are. 

Just now, Benguin said:

Happy to have a conversation with you about religion, in the religion thread but you don’t seem that keen to debate seriously but instead try and ridicule. You’re welcome to do that by the way, doesn’t bother me but could I politely ask you keep to the right thread so it doesn’t get banned again please?

Hi Benguin.

I've had a look at the Religion thread several times and there is only one person refusing to debate and its you.

A very straightforward point was made about morality existing without a fairytale beardy guy, and you ignored the point several times and still seem to be pushing some nonsense that morality can only exist when its handed down to us by a 'God'. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

lol couldn't resist another sarcastic comment.

Ray of light you are. 

Its not sarcastic at all.

This is a public forum for debate. If someone presents a point, then people will debate it. You can't spend 90% of your posts preaching to people about Christianity and then get upset when someone pulls you up for acting in a very un-Christian way.

If we can't debate, we might as well shut the place down and everyone can just agree with each other, or much more likely, pretend to agree with each other. That would be a lot of fun.

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Hi Benguin.

I've had a look at the Religion thread several times and there is only one person refusing to debate and its you.

A very straightforward point was made about morality existing without a fairytale beardy guy, and you ignored the point several times and still seem to be pushing some nonsense that morality can only exist when its handed down to us by a 'God'. 

I have every intention to reply but I’m at work at the moment and would prefer to give it some time so I can put a proper response. Can only get the odd 5 minutes at the moment. 

Just now, Benguin said:

I have every intention to reply but I’m at work at the moment and would prefer to give it some time so I can put a proper response. Can only get the odd 5 minutes at the moment. 

You replied about 10 times, avoiding the question; but fine, I'll give you yet another opportunity. I mean, I don't even care that much, but you've dodged that question/issue loads of times, then in other threads you ask people to engage you in debate in that thread; the exact thread where you're on transmission mode only.

8 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

This is a public forum for debate. If someone presents a point, then people will debate it. You can't spend 90% of your posts preaching to people about Christianity and then get upset when someone pulls you up for acting in a very un-Christian way.

If we can't debate, we might as well shut the place down and everyone can just agree with each other, or much more likely, pretend to agree with each other. That would be a lot of fun.

My point on this "public forum" was that making mocking comments about Christianity was probably not the best way to debate someone you disagree with, considering that there may be people on this thread who are religious and keep to themselves. 

You could've disagreed with that, but your response instead was to belittle me as someone who "goes through life nodding and agreeing with every opinion I ever hear".

That would suggest that your debating skills are not as finely-honed as you like to think. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 3

Just now, bovril said:

My point on this "public forum" was that making mocking comments about Christianity was probably not the best way to debate someone you disagree with, considering that there may be people on this thread who are religious and keep to themselves. 

You could've disagreed with that, but your response instead was to belittle me as someone who "goes through life nodding and agreeing with every opinion I ever hear".

That would suggest that your debating skills are not as finely-honed as you like to think. 

I don't think my debating skills are finely-honed and I equally don't really care what you think.

There are Christians who are alright. Of course there are. I think most sane Christians would disagree with this joker. Everyone has their own mind and can make their own mind up, so perhaps you can give the gatekeeping a rest?

Anyway, from now on, I shall only comment on religion in the religion thread, since I got told to, by a Christian.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

That's not debating. 

I see you removed the barb about my debating skills being finely-honed. Classy move.

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Is anyone gonna actually cancel their Christmas plans due to what this disaster of a government tell you to?

Its not much of a change for us to be honest; since there are family members we are concerned about so weren't seeing everyone face to face anyway.

We were going to have my Mum over; but she's now going to my sister's (allowed as they are in each other's support bubble and Mum lives on her own)

There's 5 of us at home anyway, so I think it will be quite nice. I try to look as the positives. We will never have another Christmas like it, in good and bad ways (mainy bad obviously), so I'm going to try to enjoy the more intimate, smaller, and relaxed elements that a home Christmas like this offers.

Should point out, we're in tier 4.

28 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

For the record, I’m not upset. You’re welcome to think what you want to think about me or anyone else. 

I think a lot of what you’re saying is unfair though. Every single post I’ve made on here pertaining to religion has been in response to someone asking me a question with the exception of my post creating the religion thread but that was done to divert the talk away from irrelevant threads. So to say I’m coming on here preaching my heighty

morals or whatever you said is not true. 

Secondly, I am not morally perfect and have never claimed to be. Part of my worldview is accepting that I’m a sinner. So when I am having to make lots of sacrifices for Christmas, it’s sometimes easy to let human emotions get the better of me and be annoyed that others aren’t respecting rules. 

7 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Go on then..... Tell me why they couldn't stay in London. Entertain me. 

My partners daughter works in the arts, so that’s destroyed, took a bar job to help pay the bills, that’s destroyed, she was due to come home Sunday, no food, no money, no presents absolutely nothing in London. I’m not sure what else she was supposed to do.

I really sympathise with some people, they have little choice but to get home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Haha. Has anyone 'built up savings' ??

Obviously can only speak for myself, but I have. Got furloughed for the better part of 5 months, no petrol costs, no going out, none of my usual holidays for the year. Not really a lot to spend it on when you're trapped in your own house eh. The only thing I've ever seen people happy with this year is the money they've saved from not having to commute. Makes sense that there's a portion of WFM folk that've saved some cash.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

That's just it, the whole way through this he's been reacting to events, and way too late, rather than planning for them. A pandemic is number ONE on the UK's risk register, surely they had a plan in place? New Zealand, South Korea and countries in that region have done well for many reasons, a major one being that they have experience of localised SARS outbreaks going back decades. So they know what to do on day one. And they treated it seriously. One of my mates from my Auckland days still lives there, and they went into lockdown fast and hard. $300 fines for not wearing a mask. Family in France had to have a real reason for being out of the house or a €600 fine. Here? Lockdown comes in and thousands of people decide to go on a jolly to Matlock Bath. No consequences. "Please don't do that". Simply not good enough. 

It also helps being one of the most isolated countries on the planet, having a total population that is 7% of the UK and already having very stringent systems in place for overseas arrivals to protect their ecosystem.

I lived in Auckland too - out of curiosity, where in the city were you based?