Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Part of the government's difficulty is that people think more about their own relations than they do about some unspecified person they have never heard of and never will.

There are many many people, old people particularly, who have had a fairly hellish year and since October have been sustained (or partly sustained) by the knowledge that, come Christmas, they will be able to see at least some of their family for a few days.  And at the last minute they are told it ain't happening.  If you have an elderly parent in that position, you know for certain that they will be very, very upset.  (You also know that there is perhaps a 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000 chance that you yourself might be infected with coronavirus.)

And then the government and its scientists, who you know are bumbling, indecisive, incompetent, and unable to predict events more than a few days in advance, tell you that for the benefit of some unspecified person who you have never met, it would be better to leave your parents to their crushing disappointment.  You know they have got almost everything else wrong but are asked to take this one on trust.

What are you going to do?

We'll both of my parents are in the extremely vulnerable category, so I'm not seeing them. 

5000-1 odds do happen after all. 

Just imagine, your parents have shielded all year, you go to see them for Christmas, your a-symptomatic, you give them Covid and they Die.

Who else would you blame but yourself?

49 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Part of the government's difficulty is that people think more about their own relations than they do about some unspecified person they have never heard of and never will.

There are many many people, old people particularly, who have had a fairly hellish year and since October have been sustained (or partly sustained) by the knowledge that, come Christmas, they will be able to see at least some of their family for a few days.  And at the last minute they are told it ain't happening.  If you have an elderly parent in that position, you know for certain that they will be very, very upset.  (You also know that there is perhaps a 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000 chance that you yourself might be infected with coronavirus.)

And then the government and its scientists, who you know are bumbling, indecisive, incompetent, and unable to predict events more than a few days in advance, tell you that for the benefit of some unspecified person who you have never met, it would be better to leave your parents to their crushing disappointment.  You know they have got almost everything else wrong but are asked to take this one on trust.

What are you going to do?

Is there proof that the scientists are really to blame for the government response rather than just poor decision making by the government itself? It's not like the nature of the data they have and how to analyse it is any different from other places where better things have happened.

16 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Impressive, bringing  up an old quote. But what i said then and now doesn't  contradict itself. 

I don't ignore social distancing. I don't visit vulnerable relatives. I assess risk. 

Btw, feel free.to dig out old quotes. There's shouldn't  be any inconsistency. I've used common sense from day 1.

Fine, I wasn’t questioning your subjective opinion to a “common sense” approach. I was just surprised with your comments given how damning you (and to be fair a few others) were during the Leicester lockdown. I mean for me keeping your distance and still enjoying life is very much a common sense approach. Ignoring self isolation rules after going abroad or being in contact with someone who has been infected is stupidity. However, each to their own approach to the rules. 

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

We'll both of my parents are in the extremely vulnerable category, so I'm not seeing them. 

5000-1 odds do happen after all. 

Just imagine, your parents have shielded all year, you go to see them for Christmas, your a-symptomatic, you give them Covid and they Die.

Who else would you blame but yourself?

It's no easy decision,  is it.   I'm sure you've imagined the opposite as well - that they die alone regretting that they never saw you again.   You and I have taken opposite decisions about our parents and I wouldn't dare to say that either of us is wrong.   Not even in a year's time when we can use hindsight. 

30 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Is there proof that the scientists are really to blame for the government response rather than just poor decision making by the government itself? It's not like the nature of the data they have and how to analyse it is any different from other places where better things have happened.

Have the French and German governments had poor decision making also as we seem to be in the same position as them still, ie we all locked down.

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

When Jesus talks about judging others, he says, "Don't judge, so that you won't be judged. For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged: and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but don't consider the beam that is in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:1-3)

I think he needs to concentrate on his Man City career, if u ask me.

We are looking after a 3 month old puppy for a couple who went home to Portugal for 2 weeks. Their flight back as already been cancelled from 26th to 28th. The puppy is of course a sweetheart but she is also driving us crazy and trashing the house (we were silly to agree to this but we wanted to help them). I am worried they are going to be unable to travel if they wait till after xmas. I know Holland and now Italy have banned travel from UK and I'm sure all the EU countries will follow suit, but are they going to be unable to get back? I am starting to feel like we insist they return asap or plan to make other arrangements for their puppy.

3 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Who will be thumbing their nose at the new xmas rules then?

Original plan was for sister to come up from London. If we do follow the new rules, I'll be on me tod. Unsure what to do and rather sad about the whole thing.

What’s your support bubble situation? 

That still applies - Christmas Day or not. 

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) has been set up to advise the government on the threat posed by new and emerging respiratory viruses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/new-and-emerging-respiratory-virus-threats-advisory-group

Guess who's on the board? Professor Neil Ferguson: Medical Research Council, Imperial College London.

It's like when Peter Taylor kept getting work even though he's utterly dreadful at his joblol

Ferguson isn’t terrible at his job though. You won’t find someone whose more qualified in the country after his work with Ebola, Foot/Mouth, Swine Flu. 

His prediction which regularly gets criticised was a worst case scenario projection WITHOUT restrictions yet folk took it too literally. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ferguson isn’t terrible at his job though. You won’t find someone whose more qualified in the country after his work with Ebola, Foot/Mouth, Swine Flu. 

His prediction which regularly gets criticised was a worst case scenario projection WITHOUT restrictions yet folk took it too literally. 

No he just told us how deadly and terrible this virus was then decided to go and bonk some blokes wife and break the rules himselflol

To be fair his prediction could have been half true, some studies have debunked it though, but he's more qulified than me. I'm just amazed these people who predict all this, warn us of how bad this virus is, put in measurements to ensure we're locked down, they then goes and goes against the very same rules. His reward is probably a payrise.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

3 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Who will be thumbing their nose at the new xmas rules then?

Original plan was for sister to come up from London. If we do follow the new rules, I'll be on me tod. Unsure what to do and rather sad about the whole thing.

Do what you want, as long as you don’t blame others or the government for the pandemic. 

36 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We are looking after a 3 month old puppy for a couple who went home to Portugal for 2 weeks. Their flight back as already been cancelled from 26th to 28th. The puppy is of course a sweetheart but she is also driving us crazy and trashing the house (we were silly to agree to this but we wanted to help them). I am worried they are going to be unable to travel if they wait till after xmas. I know Holland and now Italy have banned travel from UK and I'm sure all the EU countries will follow suit, but are they going to be unable to get back? I am starting to feel like we insist they return asap or plan to make other arrangements for their puppy.

Ouch, not good mate. I think it’s only

fair that they sort something out if you can’t look after it for any longer.

I'm sure the vast majority of people will have been happy with isolating in a full lockdown type scenario in the 2 weeks up until a couple of days before Christmas, before then being allowed to travel and see family in a naturally staggered way, with travel spread over 3 or 4 days before Christmas. A missed opportunity by the government?

I pretty much self isolated over the past couple of weeks, leaving the house only for a couple of food shops and walks outside. 

Drove back home to my Parents' yesterday and I'll be here until New Year.

Just seems like common sense to me.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Do what you want, as long as you don’t blame others or the government for the pandemic. 

This must be from one of the more obscure books from the bible? I'm struggling to place it.

Can you give me a clue? Is it nearer the talking snake and woman eating a forbidden apple? Or all people who don't believe in a fairy tale, burning in eternal damnation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

This must be from one of the more obscure books from the bible? I'm struggling to place it.

Can you give me a clue? Is it nearer the talking snake and woman eating a forbidden apple? Or all people who don't believe in a fairy tale, burning in eternal damnation?

No need to be a dick. It's hard enough for everyone at the moment/ 

• Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

No need to be a dick. It's hard enough for everyone at the moment/ 

I'm just sticking up for all the people who've had this guy preach at them about Covid, religion and any other subject.

Ever heard 'and then they came for me' ?

Sorry if you didn't like the comment but this crank needs putting in his place.

Just now, The People's Hero said:

I'm just sticking up for all the people who've had this guy preach at them about Covid, religion and any other subject.

Ever heard 'and then they came for me' ?

Sorry if you didn't like the comment but this crank needs putting in his place.

I haven't read every post in this thread. Just seemed like you were being sarcy because of his profile pic.

Ever heard of 'don't sink down to their level'? 

It'd take some bloody effort!

Leaving that poster aside, I'm not religious but I imagine some people on the forum are and keep quiet about it. I don't really get the need to belittle their beliefs especially at the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

Leaving that poster aside, I'm not religious but I imagine some people on the forum are and keep quiet about it. I don't really get the need to belittle their beliefs especially at the moment.

And neither would I; but this chap is aloof and judgemental and 'holier than thou'. Evidently knows his scripture but refuses to give other views the respect I believe the archetypal 'christian' values encourage.

If you come on and preach and belittle others, then as far as I'm concerned, be prepared to take your medicine.

I appreciate our attitude on this differs, so I'll leave it there.

And neither would I; but this chap is aloof and judgemental and 'holier than thou'. Evidently knows his scripture but refuses to give other views the respect I believe the archetypal 'christian' values encourage.

If you come on and preach and belittle others, then as far as I'm concerned, be prepared to take your medicine.

I appreciate our attitude on this differs, so I'll leave it there.

Totally missed the point of my post. Whatever.