Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

39 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Would also help if the Government would accept that schools/universities being open is the main driver of infections.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-infection-rates-in-schools-mirror-rates-in-the-community

A personal view, or do you have anything to support this? Appreciate that's one of many comments of personal opinion presented as fact, but feel this behaviour needs challenging more in this thread. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reynard said:

It might help to slow it a bit but you only have to look at the scenes the other night of all those people trying to get out of London who will now be spreading the new variant even more around the country plus the idiotic Christmas idea and the fact that schools have been kept open when it is now looking as if this new strain is easily spread by children to see there is only one way we are heading and that is into yet another national lockdown.

You can't avoid lockdown by closing all the schools and banning people from leaving home.  :unsure:

3 hours ago, Sly said:

What people forget is that the NHS is pulling people through. If they can’t cope, then the survival % will drop. It won’t just be the impact on the people with COVID, it’ll be other illnesses and people within ICU that are affected. 

If / when they get overwhelmed by everyone meeting up over Christmas (which is going to happen), then we could have an issue on our hands if it reaches uncontrollable levels. 

I saw a post on one of my local spotted pages requesting people avoid meeting up over Christmas. Over 400 comments like “stuff the government”, “the virus is a hoax”, “I’ll be meeting up with the entire family” etc, before it was taken down. 

We’ve been in two trains of thought with this since the start, however we’ve decided to have Christmas dinner at home on our own. 

As a conservative voter, I may have said before that I initially thought we’d handled the virus quite well. My opinion is now that we’re in a complete mess. If you look how much better other countries have controlled it. The blame doesn’t sit at the governments door entirely for the spread of the virus, as it’s people not adhering to the convoluted, ever changing messages they put out. 

The government has asked that people do certain things. Whilst you have the small % that don’t, the R rate stands a chance of growing. Whilst these people aren’t dealt with, then the people who are on the fence also adopt the “no mask, drop social distancing, meet up” etc approach. If they’d been harder with the approach of slapping people with fines, stop searches etc, then we wouldn’t be where we are now. 

To think that I need to wear a mask for a haircut in a one on one situation, however I can go and play 6 a side, which is a contact sport with about 60 other people present, or having schools still open doesn’t make sense. 

I still think that the adoption rates of the advice / instructions etc has probably been much higher than the government or the advisers expected.  The communications have been pretty shit, and no doubt there are things they could have done better, but I have moments when I think about their stated objectives - reducing the curve and not overwhelming the NHS - and consider they have achieved this.  Yes people have died, but in the main they have been people who's chances were low, many of whom could well have been in the annual Flu and Pneumonia death rates.  it was clear early on that we were not going to be able to stop this from spreading in the community.  Then you pick and choose what you can shut down without ****ing up everything, and on reflection while shutting shops and hospitality is very visibly shit for them and for adults, I still back putting kids in school as a better choice.  Screwing up a whole generation to save the old and infirm is a big ask.

If Boris hadn't spent his whole time changing his message and trying to please everyone, and it the government had been clear on their decisions and the basis for them we would be less critical imo.

And yes the chucking around of cash to mates has been shocking - as someone who is heavily involved in procurement controls at work, this is appalling.

If you've got the time, this set of data and questions are well worth a consideration.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkE00ANmITzyXaSM-S_44ZWEJTxoUtp3/view

Pity journalists post initial blurb at the press conferences don't ask such superb questions.

Perhaps send to your local MP?  

Edited by Legend_in_blue

18 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-infection-rates-in-schools-mirror-rates-in-the-community

A personal view, or do you have anything to support this? Appreciate that's one of many comments of personal opinion presented as fact, but feel this behaviour needs challenging more in this thread. 

Would be interesting to know what the community is defined as. For example, if its an average family then surely there is some cross over between schools and the community?

23 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I'm basing it on the fact that infections shot up massively when schools reopened and no amount of tiers, curfews or lockdowns of everything else has brought them down. That the children despite good efforts no doubt, wont social distance or wear masks whilst also being in heated confined spaces. That the vast majority of the kids infected and the parents they go on to infect will be healthy enough to show no symptoms so infections wont show up close to the schools source if at all. Now if all of that isnt a huge cause of the infection rate rising I dont see what else is.

On 21/12/2020 at 09:32, reynard said:

That is not a very forgiving approach is it? have you considered that visiting a nearby elederly relative on Christmas Day is not rule breaking and maybe people want to get a test to see if it safer for them to do so than without a test. I know of several examples of students, prefectly entitled to return home to their parental houses, who had tests to see if they were negative before returning home. If you don't think case numbers have increased then you are living in a fantasy world.

Might believe that if people weren’t turning up with McDonald’s/Starbucks/Costa in their cars, clearly not self isolating. I do think case numbers have increased though. 

56 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Would be interesting to know what the community is defined as. For example, if its an average family then surely there is some cross over between schools and the community?

Fair. Are community infection rates driven by school rates or vice versa. 

10 hours ago, Fktf said:

Some of you still need to move away from the idea that death rate is the main driver of restrictions. 

Can you mention this to Talk Radio😩Worth remembering that right at the beginning of all this,one of the governments main fears was having 20% of the workforce all off sick,all at the same time.

22 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

The provincial  Ontario government over here is expected to announce a lockdown today starting 1201am december 24th. Woooo fantastic birthday present. I mean i've always been fvcked because of the date of my birthday (same applies to those born in, on, around xmas) but thanks for reminding me of how crap it is lol. I am sure this will lead to mass panic now. Thank goodness i got bog roll to get me through  two weeks. Who wants to use the desi style empty plastic coke bottle  filled with water method?

All lame jokes aside, if you want to help with cutting down the numbers then wouldn't lockdown before xmas make sense so people dont get together? Sure it won't be popular at all but whats the end goal here? Containment?

Interesting times, hope you are all safe and well.

16 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Premier of Ontario on TV here now.

To sum it up:

"We're fuch'd!"

"Have a Merry Christmas!"

Wow that takes some doing the levels of Boris’s incompetence has not only spread over the North Sea but now the Atlantic Ocean he’s fec’ing up the whole world.

Actually, it was the Chinese who fecked up the world, not our PM. Another name for the UK variant is N501Y, whilst in South Africa, another variant called 501.V2 was identified only last week. This is more virulent and contains a higher viral load, making even young people very ill. Basically, the sooner we all get the vaccine, the better. Meanwhile, President Bolsonaro of Brazil reckons that Covid-19 turns people into crocodiles, which is on a par for sheer lunacy as claiming that the vaccine is micro-chipped!

24 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Actually, it was the Chinese who fecked up the world, not our PM. Another name for the UK variant is N501Y, whilst in South Africa, another variant called 501.V2 was identified only last week. This is more virulent and contains a higher viral load, making even young people very ill. Basically, the sooner we all get the vaccine, the better. Meanwhile, President Bolsonaro of Brazil reckons that Covid-19 turns people into crocodiles, which is on a par for sheer lunacy as claiming that the vaccine is micro-chipped!

This has been pointed out before, but brutal authoritarian arses they may be the Chinese government has nothing to do with the general incompetence of policy decisions taken in countries once the virus hit their shores. To choose a metaphor, when a fire starts and spreads wildly you blame the arsonists first (though the way this started was accidental, not malicious) but if the fire service then allows the blaze to go out of control when *it could have been contained better* (and that's the important part) then they're going to cop some blame, too.

Definitely agree on Senhor Bolsanaro being a sociopathic fruitloop, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Wow that takes some doing the levels of Boris’s incompetence has not only spread over the North Sea but now the Atlantic Ocean he’s fec’ing up the whole world.

Maybe it’s just not very easy running a country during a pandemic.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

You can't avoid lockdown by closing all the schools and banning people from leaving home.  :unsure:

I'm not suggesting you can, merely the trajectory we are on is leading to an inevitable lockdown and these things don't help that trajectory just make it more likely worse.