Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Sorry but if the leaders of the country put a time-frame on things, I expect them to stick to it. Getting it wrong once is perhaps forgiveable and tolerable. Putting another unrealistic time-frame on things ('normality by Christmas' was a mistake. Now doing the same thing 'back towards normal life by Easter' without any kind of reasoning or assurances is setting themselves up to fail.

The government need to get better at managing expectations. They could start by not overpromising...

I'm interested to know exactly how you think they should do that? 

37 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Sorry but if the leaders of the country put a time-frame on things, I expect them to stick to it. Getting it wrong once is perhaps forgiveable and tolerable. Putting another unrealistic time-frame on things ('normality by Christmas' was a mistake. Now doing the same thing 'back towards normal life by Easter' without any kind of reasoning or assurances is setting themselves up to fail.

The government need to get better at managing expectations. They could start by not overpromising...

Sigh. It has nothing to do with that. Different people handle situations differently, some desperately need hope, something to cling on too, others not so much. Is it so hard to give this group that requires hope, that simple flawed chance? I am sure by now everyone realises it is quite impossible to plan precisely during a pandemic, but hope, even false hope will still hurt less than despair.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's not really about intention though is it? That implies control. What they're doing is making promises that they have no idea if they can keep them.

I agree with you and they should stop. If I'd promised my kids they could have a holiday in the Bahamas they'd have been excited and full of anticipation and then, a week before we were due to go, said no, sorry we're not going, they'd never trust me again and they'd never forget either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

There is truth in what you're saying but I do have to say that I've seen a lot of older people especially in supermarkets Morrison's, who don't seem to care at all, and they are far more at risk. My brother's fiancé's Dad is in his late 60s and he's been having many large gatherings over the past few months. 

More accurate :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm interested to know exactly how you think they should do that? 

I don't think they should necessarily stick to it, but they should stop over promising. Estimate a little further in future. They've constantly been giving the best case scenario, which is giving people false hope, and then we never make that best case scenario. If Easter is the best we can hope for, say July, don't say easter.

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It does seem odd that it appears the main rises are in the perceived more "affluent" areas of the county. That said, Oakham and Rutland are only in tier 3. I can't offer any explanation btw. Let's email Matt hand-cock.

The areas show infection levels pretty consistent all over the county. Areas in the east of the county are also nearer to Northampton and Peterborough (though same could be said of Rutland) where infection levels are much higher. Some kids in the east of the county go to school in perterborough for eg and it doesn't take much for a few families to be infected in a small village to put the numbers up. I guess some in the countty work in Peterborough or even Northampton. Also areas like Kibworth and Fleckney and Houghton are quite close to highly infected city areas. A nearby village to us saw some idiot come out of London and pass the virus on to 6 people in the same small village.

They can't reveal locations for privacy reasons but it would be interesting to see if some of these micro areas saw clusters of infection or of the incidents are widespread through out the area.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I don't think they should necessarily stick to it, but they should stop over promising. Estimate a little further in future. They've constantly been giving the best case scenario, which is giving people false hope, and then we never make that best case scenario. If Easter is the best we can hope for, say July, don't say easter.

So you would rather they say July, even if they genuinely believe it could be Easter? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

So you would rather they say July, even if they genuinely believe it could be Easter? 

Yes, because then if its not Easter they haven't given false hope. And if it is Easter then it looks better, like we're ahead of the curve. Its about managing expectations, and not over egging it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yes, because then if its not Easter they haven't given false hope. And if it is Easter then it looks better, like we're ahead of the curve. Its about managing expectations, and not over egging it.

Absolute basics of managing expectations. When you’re in control of the deadline, always give yourself extra time and always endeavour to beat the generous deadline.

52 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I genuinely don't think the public can cope without some kind of time frame though, hopeful pissing in the wind or not. This thread is littered with people asking when this and when that. People don't seem capable of working out for themselves that there is possibly no end in sight, so rightly or wrongly, I think that is what is being pandered to. 

I get what you're saying but, I've been looking back at the so called "Spanish Flu" (never originated in Spain BTW). In 1918 science had no real knowledge of viruses and how they spread. 50 million died across the world but eventually it ran it's course, mainly through herd immunity and a weakening of the virus itself. It took 2 years. 

There IS an end in sight. We have so much more science, knowledge, experts and technology available to us now than there ever was in 1918.

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

FFS, how can they possibly know??I've never 

They can't, and that's the point really, it comes down to what they believe may be possible. 

I personally would rather know what they think might be possible, rather than some completely made up date just to 'manage expectations' 

But that's why we're all different I guess 

Edited by FoxesDeb
Added clarity

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If you couldn't work out by September/October that the only way out of this was a Vaccine or herd immunity then more fool you I think.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this post. They were already working on a vaccine in September. Who are you criticising?

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

They can't, and that's the point really, it comes down to what they believe may be possible. 

I personally would rather know what they think might be possible, rather than some completely made up date just to 'manage expectations' 

There is no way any Gov would say "actually, we just don't know when this will end", even if they don't know. It's a principle of any kind of management that you never give the impression that you aren't in control of every situation.

35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

And there we have it. If they can't know it'll be Easter, don't say we'll have some kind of normality by Easter.

It really is that simple.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

@FoxesDeb. I would not waste your time arguing with people, this is a Boris bashing echo chamber.

If Boris visited them all personally and gave them £50 he would be slated for not ringing ahead to make sure they were in. 

Not at all. It's just a simple conversation. You don't need to make it in to something divisive as this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I fully appreciate your opinion, but i'd be totally the opposite.

So after the last 24 hours news, the tougher restriction my own mental wellbeing has took a massive hit.

I always though I was mentally strong but i've lost it in the last 24 hours, I see no progress, I don't see when this ends and the restrictions that have been put in won't change anything, if anything we're just prolonging this crap. I've had arguments with family, friends - purely just ranting and venting.

IF  I were to see some light at the end of the tunnel, some serious action and planning in place i'd take the proposed idea Sly has put forward.

This isn't ending anytime soon - not even next year as far I can see with the numpties we have running the country and ruling us.

I think we’re in agreement here. 👍🏼

• Like 1

I prefer the Govt to give us bits of hope.

If they said: "We're ****ed for another six months" it wouldn't go down well but saying: "We hope things will be in good shape by Easter" is a more positive message.

They've cocked up aplenty but being in charge of something like this must be a nightmare to administer on every level.

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The thing is it looks like their aim has been a vaccination all along, which we knew was going to take 6 months + but only a few days after locking down Boris was telling us we'd be back to normal by June/July (I can't remember exactly which one was said), when it was fairly obvious that was never going to be the case. They don't genuinely believe the dates they're telling us, and if they do they definitely shouldn't be running the country, because they're even more clueless than I thought!

Although I do take the point that someone said about them giving the people something to aim for, I was originally one of those people, but I've aimed for June/July, Halloween, Christmas, March 2021 and none of them have happened so I'd rather just plod along now.