Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Normal by Easter pre-supposes and assumes everything will go absolutely perfectly, decisions will be correct, timely and astute and circumstances outside of our control conspire in our favour.

Given the track record thus far, I think its highly unlikely. I would also basically complete disregard any projection, target, roadmap, deadline or prediction given by this Government since they tend to make them up, playing on keeping spirits up and loosely basing them around seasons/holidays.... fine by Easter, fine by summer, fine by Halloween, super by Christmas, 1/1 is the day, ooh Easter is the time (again), talk will soon be of normal by summer 2021, normal by exam season, then normal before new school year in 2021 (sept), normal by autumn, normal by Christmas. etc.

So the real question is not normal by Easter? But .. normal by which Easter?

• Like 3

Logically speaking. 

This virus has a life of 14 days-ish

Could we have:

* Preplanned and got stocks up, so that every household has enough food for 3 weeks.

* Shut down everything, literally everything. No one works, unless it’s from home, or extreme critical (services, NHS, Police, Fire etc).

* Force everyone to stay on home and not have contact with anyone at all. Thus no chance for it to spread.

* You can only leave the house for 30 mins per day for exercise (on your own). 

* You can’t drive for exercise. You have to stay within 1/2 mile of your home. 

* Anyone that breaks the rule, £200 fine. Not just the house owner, party organiser etc, everyone. 

It would be a rough three weeks for people, however, we’d get the proper circuit break the country needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Were they not shut during the National Lockdown?

And, seriously, essential manufacturing excluded, who actually needs the shit BooHoo and the likes provide? Walk around a pound shop: every shitty plastic toy/ornament has a factory somewhere that's producing it.

I’m not sure where you’ve been over the last few months Buce but, no offence, wasn’t one of the reasons why Leicester was one of the first cities to go into lock-down related to the fact that many of the ‘sweat-shops’ in Leicester were NOT closed down? I thought this was common knowledge? 

1 minute ago, Sly said:

Logically speaking. 

Could we have:

* Preplanned and got stocks up, so that every household has enough food for 3 weeks.

* Shut down everything, literally everything. No one works, unless it’s from home, or extreme critical (services, NHS, Police, Fire etc).

* Force everyone to stay on home and not have contact with anyone at all. Thus no chance for it to spread.

* Anyone that breaks the rule, £200 fine. Not just the house owner, party organiser etc, everyone. 

It would be a rough three weeks for people, however, we’d get the proper circuit break the country needs. 

In terms of hugely reducing the numbers? Yes that would work. In terms of wiping it out though? I doubt it because you'll always have a house where one person has the virus, but doesn't pass it on to someone else for a week or so. That person probably would pass it on to another member of the family after a week or so, then the final member of the family would come out of the lockdown and infect someone else.

This Government has made many mistakes since day 1, but the biggest one for me is the flights in and out of the country, with the lack of quarantine. There's absolutely no way flights should have been carrying on as normal in April, yet thousands were flying in and out of the country every day.

• Like 3

The Easter date is nonsense in terms of being back to normal based only on vaccinations - simply not enough time. But we'll see improvements from then because of combination of the weather and the vaccination programme, and then the real test if being back to normal will be the beginning of next winter.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I think its completely plausible to say there could be worse pandemics out there in the future. They arent saying it will definitely happen soon or anything.

2 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I think that is easy to predict. Density of populations across the world and viruses aren't a good mix. But think of the time between this and the Spanish Flu. There have been scares in between as well. MERS SARS etc...it was always going to happen. Just the world was probably quietly ignoring the fact. 

This won't be the last one, but how far apart to the next is anyone's guess

39 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They've been predicting big zoonotic infections for decades. It's regularly reported and studied how the open food markets and way the bird trade in East Asia is managed will regularly lead to increased risk. 

This isn't big news at all.

Yep, this is hardly new news - nor is it news that this one is merely a 5 or 6 out of 10 in terms of the disruptive potential an infectious disease could cause civilisation.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

I think it's a certainty there'll be a worse one if we're going to approach any future pandemic how we've treated this one.  

This too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sly said:

Logically speaking. 

Could we have:

I fully understand your point but as a single household I’d go insane, it’s already been a tough year and I’ve relied completely on seeing my 2 daughters and have a “bubble” .

Im on flexi furlough working just 1 day a week rarely see anyone to talk to on my 1 day at work.

Its such a dilemma as the pay off for what you suggest could have serious implications on certain peoples mental well-being.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

In terms of hugely reducing the numbers? Yes that would work. In terms of wiping it out though? I doubt it because you'll always have a house where one person has the virus, but doesn't pass it on to someone else for a week or so. That person probably would pass it on to another member of the family after a week or so, then the final member of the family would come out of the lockdown and infect someone else.

This Government has made many mistakes since day 1, but the biggest one for me is the flights in and out of the country, with the lack of quarantine. There's absolutely no way flights should have been carrying on as normal in April, yet thousands were flying in and out of the country every day.

Yes, the borders should have been closed. Without a shadow of doubt. 

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I fully understand your point but as a single household I’d go insane, it’s already been a tough year and I’ve relied completely on seeing my 2 daughters and have a “bubble” .

Im on flexi furlough working just 1 day a week rarely see anyone to talk to on my 1 day at work.

Its such a dilemma as the pay off for what you suggest could have serious implications on certain peoples mental well-being.

I fully understand and it would have major impact to the mental health of many. 

Potentially we need some degree of circuit break after Christmas, as the NHS is on the brink of collapse in certain areas. 

8 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think it would’ve been taken 20 times more seriously if this virus had attacked the youth more aggressively like Spanish Flu did.

Have many young people truly taken this pandemic seriously? Generally those I see without a face mask look younger. There’s been all the big parties etc.. mainly youth

Of course, they aren’t usually affected as badly but they transmit it just as readily as anyone else does.

It’s my opinion that big swathes of the population have gone about their merry way, not really giving a shite

I’m generalising here of course 

32 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Have many young people truly taken this pandemic seriously? Generally those I see without a face mask look younger. There’s been all the big parties etc.. mainly youth

Of course, they aren’t usually affected as badly but they transmit it just as readily as anyone else does.

It’s my opinion that big swathes of the population have gone about their merry way, not really giving a shite

There is truth in what you're saying but I do have to say that I've seen a lot of older people especially in supermarkets who don't seem to care at all, and they are far more at risk. My brother's fiancé's Dad is in his late 60s and he's been having many large gatherings over the past few months. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

There is truth in what you're saying but I do have to say that I've seen a lot of older people especially in supermarkets who don't seem to care at all, and they are far more at risk. My brother's fiancé's Dad is in his late 60s and he's been having many large gatherings over the past few months. 

Yeah I've noticed boomers seem to be the worst around here, especially in shops/queues etc - right up against your back rubbing up against you, breathing on the back of your head, no concept of social distancing at all.

Edited by SecretPro

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Dont get me wrong, I’ve seen a good few teenagers walking around supermarkets without masks, but by far the largest group that seem to be rebelling where I shop are those previously known for their appearances on the likes of Jeremy Kyle & Benefit Street. They tend to be looking around for somebody to comment too. They’re ready for a fight. 

• Like 1

'Health Secretary Matt Hancock said after the approval of the Oxford vaccine this week that he now has a 'very high degree of confidence that we are going to be out of this by the spring,' in a worrying echo of Boris Johnson's claim in July that the UK would be 'back to normal by Christmas'.

But experts say they expect the repeated lockdowns and social distancing rules to keep rolling for 'months and months', lasting until May or even deep into the summer of 2021.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9102333/SAGE-warns-March-style-lockdown-not-contain-mutant-Covid.html

I really wish they'd stop giving us these deadlines if they've got no intention of sticking to them, it's my pet hate. Anyone believing anything Hancock says needs their head checking, I'd rather trust Harold Shipman with my vaccine dosage.

• Like 1

All getting a bit much now, I totally understand the need to restrict people BUT the idea that Mr x has been to see his mum for dinner makes him a criminal but him working 32 hours a week in a school coming in to close contact with dozens upon dozens of people on a daily basis is absolutely A OK is a lot to swallow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

All getting a bit much now, I totally understand the need to restrict people BUT the idea that Mr x has been to see his mum for dinner makes him a criminal but him working 32 hours a week in a school coming in to close contact with dozens upon dozens of people on a daily basis is absolutely A OK is a lot to swallow. 

Yes, it’s just silly. The rules don’t really stack up. I think this is 80% of the reason that we are seeing the general public rebel against it. 

13 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Add in nonsense like this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101515/This-PEOPLE-behaving-badly-ICU-doctor-angry-public-Covid-hospitals-crisis.html

People shouldn't be exempt from criticism but articles like this just rile people up.

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

What’s the logic behind not being able to go for a walk when isolating? Surely going for a stroll doesn’t put you at risk of potentially passing the virus on to someone 

Going for a walk would be okay, it’s these Fvckin joggers that would be the problem, the amount of air they get through is scandalous. Saw a few up braggie park the other day, if one of em had it, then everyone else has now got it. Saw Christian Fuchs as well in his Nigel Pearson trainers

• Haha 2