Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Add in nonsense like this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101515/This-PEOPLE-behaving-badly-ICU-doctor-angry-public-Covid-hospitals-crisis.html

People shouldn't be exempt from criticism but articles like this just rile people up.

It's the Daily Mail ffs...it's designed to rile you up. Moreover, this medical professional is on the front line and such unacceptable levels of stress can breed contentious comments. Some sections of the UK public are indeed culpable for the rise in infections and those that steadfastly refuse to wear masks without good reason may well have blood on their hands without realising it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

It's the Daily Mail ffs...it's designed to rile you up. Moreover, this medical professional is on the front line and such unacceptable levels of stress can breed contentious comments. Some sections of the UK public are indeed culpable for the rise in infections and those that steadfastly refuse to wear masks without good reason may well have blood on their hands without realising it. 

Well I imagine it's working, articles like this won't convince people who don't wear masks to wear one.

We all have blood on our hands, every single one of us, even if we don't realise it either.

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

'Health Secretary Matt Hancock said after the approval of the Oxford vaccine this week that he now has a 'very high degree of confidence that we are going to be out of this by the spring,' in a worrying echo of Boris Johnson's claim in July that the UK would be 'back to normal by Christmas'.

But experts say they expect the repeated lockdowns and social distancing rules to keep rolling for 'months and months', lasting until May or even deep into the summer of 2021.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9102333/SAGE-warns-March-style-lockdown-not-contain-mutant-Covid.html

I really wish they'd stop giving us these deadlines if they've got no intention of sticking to them, it's my pet hate. Anyone believing anything Hancock says needs their head checking, I'd rather trust Harold Shipman with my vaccine dosage.

They're hardly 'deadlines' which they are failing to stick to are they though? More 'hopeful targets' that are ever changing, in an ever changing, never faced before, global event? 

Don't know if these have been posted.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/latest-coronavirus-infection-numbers-83-4844912

Area by area breakdown

The data is broken down into areas with an average population of 7,000 people, known as Medium Super Output Areas (MSOAs).

It shows the number of new cases in the week up to December 23 and in brackets the corresponding figure for the week before.

• Oadby North and East: 71 (48)

• Thurmaston: 41 (34)

• Houghton, Thurnby and Scraptoft: 40 (18)

• Oadby South and West: 34 (19)

• Kibworth and Great Glen: 32 (23)

• Dunton Bassett, Claybrooke, Swinford: 32 (14)

• Enderby and Glen Parva: 31 ( 20)

• Coalville: 31 (12)

• Birstall Wanlip and Riverside: 31 (20)

• Wigston Harcourt and Little Hill: 30 (12)

• Hugglescote and Bardon Hill: 29 (12)

• South Wigston: 28 (24)

• Sileby: 27 ( 14)

• Market Harborough South, Little Bowden: 27 (24)

• Bottesford, Harby Croxton Kerrial: 27 (15)

• Barrow upon Soar: 27 (10)

• Wigston North: 26 (27)

• Waltham, Wymondham and Great Dalby: 26 (20)

• Mountsorrel and Rothley: 26 (36)

• Measham and Appleby Magna: 25 (22)

• Melton Mowbray North: 24 (15)

• Loughborough Lemyngton and Hastings: 24 (17)

• Broughton Astley: 24 (12)

• Wigston Town: 23 (21)

• Whetstone: 23 (21)

• Market Harborough W, Gt Bowden Lubenham: 23 (12)

• Kirby Muxloe and Thurlaston: 23 (21)

• Glenfield: 23 (23)

• East Goscote and Queniborough: 23 (16)

• Lutterworth: 22 (6)

• Loughborough Outwoods: 22 (9)

• Hinckley Clarendon Park: 22 (10)

• Hinckley Central: 22 (5)

• Market Bosworth, Barlestone, Sheepy: 21 (22)

• Burbage, Sketchley and Stretton: 21 (16)

• Ashby de la Zouch North: 21 (9)

• Syston East: 20 (12)

• Markfield and Thornton: 20 (15)

• Groby West and Ratby: 20 (20)

• Groby East: 20 (24)

• Desford and Newbould Verdon: 20 (17)

• Cosby, Croft, Elmesthorpe: 20 (18)

• Shepshed West: 19 (13)

• Ibstock and Elllistown: 19 (31)

• Hinckley West: 19 (24)

• Fleckney, Kilworth, Foxton: 19 (12)

• Thorpe Astley: 18 (15)

• Melton Mowbray South: 18 (12)

• Leicester Forest East: 18 (10)

• Donisthorpe and Blackfordby: 18 (11)

• Burbage St Catherine’s: 18 (6)

• Syston West: 17 (14)

• Shepshed East: 17 (10)

• Narborough: 17 (19)

• Hinckley East: 17 (10)

• Braunstone Town: 17 (21)

• Blaby Village: 17 (21)

• Barwell: 17 (9)

• Thurcaston Woodhouse and Bradgate: 16 (11)

• Market Harborough Central: 16 (8)

• Ashby de la Zouch Sth: 16 (11)

• Asfordby, Frisby, Old Dalby: 16 (16)

• Whitwick: 15 (6)

• Tilton, Billesdon, Great Easton: 15 (14)

• Loughborough Storer and Queens Park: 15 (12)

• Earl Shilton: 15 (7)

• Quorn and Mountsorrel Castle: 14 (11)

• Wymeswold, Rearsby and Cossington: 13 (6)

• Stoney Stanton, Sapcote, Sharnford: 13 (23)

• Loughborough Dishley and Hathern: 13 (16)

• Kegworth and Belton: 13 (12)

• Anstey: 13 (16)

• Loughborough Shelthorpe and Woodthorpe: 12 (13)

• Countesthorpe and Kilby: 12 (14)

• Agar Nook: 12 (8)

• Birstall Central: 11 (12)

• Stoke Golding, Higham and Fenny Drayton: 10 (7)

• Melton Mowbray West: 10 (16)

• Loughborough Garendon: 10 (12)

• Packington, Ravenstone and Coleorton: 9 (7)

• Castle Donington: 9 (7)

• Thringstone and Swannington: 7 (9)

• Loughborough University: 5 (15)

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

They're hardly 'deadlines' which they are failing to stick to are they though? More 'hopeful targets' that are ever changing, in an ever changing, never faced before, global event? 

The thing is they don't say 'We hope we can be back to normal by ***, but we can't guarantee it', they say stupid stuff like 'You will have a normal Christmas if we lockdown for 4 weeks', then completely change their mind. Back to normal shouldn't even be a phase considered for at least another 6 months, there's just no chance of it happening, they've lost all faith and trust from a lot of the public.

A few weeks back he was telling people during PMQs that weddings would be back to normal by Summer 2021, people are basing their lives (and tens of thousands of pounds) around his words.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Don't know if these have been posted.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/latest-coronavirus-infection-numbers-83-4844912

Area by area breakdown

The data is broken down into areas with an average population of 7,000 people, known as Medium Super Output Areas (MSOAs).

It shows the number of new cases in the week up to December 23 and in brackets the corresponding figure for the week before.

• Oadby North and East: 71 (48)

• Thurmaston: 41 (34)

• Houghton, Thurnby and Scraptoft: 40 (18)

• Oadby South and West: 34 (19)

• Kibworth and Great Glen: 32 (23)

• Dunton Bassett, Claybrooke, Swinford: 32 (14)

• Enderby and Glen Parva: 31 ( 20)

• Coalville: 31 (12)

• Birstall Wanlip and Riverside: 31 (20)

• Wigston Harcourt and Little Hill: 30 (12)

• Hugglescote and Bardon Hill: 29 (12)

• South Wigston: 28 (24)

• Sileby: 27 ( 14)

• Market Harborough South, Little Bowden: 27 (24)

• Bottesford, Harby Croxton Kerrial: 27 (15)

• Barrow upon Soar: 27 (10)

• Wigston North: 26 (27)

• Waltham, Wymondham and Great Dalby: 26 (20)

• Mountsorrel and Rothley: 26 (36)

• Measham and Appleby Magna: 25 (22)

• Melton Mowbray North: 24 (15)

• Loughborough Lemyngton and Hastings: 24 (17)

• Broughton Astley: 24 (12)

• Wigston Town: 23 (21)

• Whetstone: 23 (21)

• Market Harborough W, Gt Bowden Lubenham: 23 (12)

• Kirby Muxloe and Thurlaston: 23 (21)

• Glenfield: 23 (23)

• East Goscote and Queniborough: 23 (16)

• Lutterworth: 22 (6)

• Loughborough Outwoods: 22 (9)

• Hinckley Clarendon Park: 22 (10)

• Hinckley Central: 22 (5)

• Market Bosworth, Barlestone, Sheepy: 21 (22)

• Burbage, Sketchley and Stretton: 21 (16)

• Ashby de la Zouch North: 21 (9)

• Syston East: 20 (12)

• Markfield and Thornton: 20 (15)

• Groby West and Ratby: 20 (20)

• Groby East: 20 (24)

• Desford and Newbould Verdon: 20 (17)

• Cosby, Croft, Elmesthorpe: 20 (18)

• Shepshed West: 19 (13)

• Ibstock and Elllistown: 19 (31)

• Hinckley West: 19 (24)

• Fleckney, Kilworth, Foxton: 19 (12)

• Thorpe Astley: 18 (15)

• Melton Mowbray South: 18 (12)

• Leicester Forest East: 18 (10)

• Donisthorpe and Blackfordby: 18 (11)

• Burbage St Catherine’s: 18 (6)

• Syston West: 17 (14)

• Shepshed East: 17 (10)

• Narborough: 17 (19)

• Hinckley East: 17 (10)

• Braunstone Town: 17 (21)

• Blaby Village: 17 (21)

• Barwell: 17 (9)

• Thurcaston Woodhouse and Bradgate: 16 (11)

• Market Harborough Central: 16 (8)

• Ashby de la Zouch Sth: 16 (11)

• Asfordby, Frisby, Old Dalby: 16 (16)

• Whitwick: 15 (6)

• Tilton, Billesdon, Great Easton: 15 (14)

• Loughborough Storer and Queens Park: 15 (12)

• Earl Shilton: 15 (7)

• Quorn and Mountsorrel Castle: 14 (11)

• Wymeswold, Rearsby and Cossington: 13 (6)

• Stoney Stanton, Sapcote, Sharnford: 13 (23)

• Loughborough Dishley and Hathern: 13 (16)

• Kegworth and Belton: 13 (12)

• Anstey: 13 (16)

• Loughborough Shelthorpe and Woodthorpe: 12 (13)

• Countesthorpe and Kilby: 12 (14)

• Agar Nook: 12 (8)

• Birstall Central: 11 (12)

• Stoke Golding, Higham and Fenny Drayton: 10 (7)

• Melton Mowbray West: 10 (16)

• Loughborough Garendon: 10 (12)

• Packington, Ravenstone and Coleorton: 9 (7)

• Castle Donington: 9 (7)

• Thringstone and Swannington: 7 (9)

• Loughborough University: 5 (15)

So the bulk of new cases in the East of the county

Oadby again

Surprised to see the little villages of Dunton, Claybrooke and Swinford with so many 

Edited by Col city fan

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The pictures on the beeb this evening of crowds of locals, out celebrating the new year in the centre of Wuhan literally has to be just about the biggest irony of the year!

Talk about taking the piss!

😆

I'm there now, it's foooking amazing....booze hooker's the lot

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Stop doing what? Being hopeful? 

Putting time frames on it. You can be hopeful without putting a date on it. Even if it was just 'hopeful' in the past, it's not worked. And using your reason of it being an 'ever-changing' thing, maybe that's all the more reason not to put any time frame on it... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I really wish they'd stop giving us these deadlines if they've got no intention of sticking to them, it's my pet hate. Anyone believing anything Hancock says needs their head checking, I'd rather trust Harold Shipman with my vaccine dosage.

It's not really about intention though is it? That implies control. What they're doing is making promises that they have no idea if they can keep them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I don’t blame “the kids” for wanting to have fun and live their lives, I’m over 50 now and I can imagine how devastated I’d of been back in the 1980’s and 90’s having to stay in, no pubs, clubs and

holidays, you’re only young once and life is for living.

If they’re sensible and stay away from their grandparents etc then live a life.

There is so much finger pointing and criticism flying around, everyone has had to make sacrifices.

Completely agree. There was a period of 10 years when going out was the centre of my life. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Putting time frames on it. You can be hopeful without putting a date on it. Even if it was just 'hopeful' in the past, it's not worked. And using your reason of it being an 'ever-changing' thing, maybe that's all the more reason not to put any time frame on it... 

Yeah, giving people hope that is repeatedly snatched away from them is closer to torture than nurture.

10 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t get me wrong mate, the US infection rates are mahooooosive, compared to anywhere else on the planet. It look like we sit about 5th actually in terms of infection rates, but about 4th in terms of deaths.

Just look how our figures compare say to Aus and New Zealand and we’ve had more covid related deaths than Russia!

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

We might have been incompetent but I imagine we're one of a handful of countries in the world that are honest about their stats. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I genuinely don't think the public can cope without some kind of time frame though, hopeful pissing in the wind or not. This thread is littered with people asking when this and when that. People don't seem capable of working out for themselves that there is possibly no end in sight, so rightly or wrongly, I think that is what is being pandered to. 

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

I genuinely don't think the public can cope without some kind of time frame though, hopeful pissing in the wind or not. This thread is littered with people asking when this and when that. People don't seem capable of working out for themselves that there is possibly no end in sight, so rightly or wrongly, I think that is what is being pandered to. 

Sorry but if the leaders of the country put a time-frame on things, I expect them to stick to it. Getting it wrong once is perhaps forgiveable and tolerable. Putting another unrealistic time-frame on things ('normality by Christmas' was a mistake. Now doing the same thing 'back towards normal life by Easter' without any kind of reasoning or assurances is setting themselves up to fail.

The government need to get better at managing expectations. They could start by not overpromising...

• Like 2

Just now, StanSP said:

Sorry but if the leaders of the country put a time-frame on things, I expect them to stick to it. Getting it wrong once is perhaps forgiveable and tolerable. Putting another unrealistic time-frame on things ('normality by Christmas' was a mistake. Now doing the same thing 'back towards normal life by Easter' without any kind of reasoning or assurances is setting themselves up to fail.

The government need to get better at managing expectations. They could start by not overpromising...

Exactly. If they were to overestimate the time frame then they'd look so much better. Say hopefully around July or something, then if it is Easter, they're onto a winner.

5 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I fully understand your point but as a single household I’d go insane, it’s already been a tough year and I’ve relied completely on seeing my 2 daughters and have a “bubble” .

Im on flexi furlough working just 1 day a week rarely see anyone to talk to on my 1 day at work.

Its such a dilemma as the pay off for what you suggest could have serious implications on certain peoples mental well-being.

I fully appreciate your opinion, but i'd be totally the opposite.

So after the last 24 hours news, the tougher restriction my own mental wellbeing has took a massive hit.

I always though I was mentally strong but i've lost it in the last 24 hours, I see no progress, I don't see when this ends and the restrictions that have been put in won't change anything, if anything we're just prolonging this crap. I've had arguments with family, friends - purely just ranting and venting.

IF  I were to see some light at the end of the tunnel, some serious action and planning in place i'd take the proposed idea Sly has put forward.

This isn't ending anytime soon - not even next year as far I can see with the numpties we have running the country and ruling us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

So the bulk of new cases in the East of the county

Oadby again

Surprised to see the little villages of Dunton, Claybrooke and Swinford with so many 

It does seem odd that it appears the main rises are in the perceived more "affluent" areas of the county. That said, Oakham and Rutland are only in tier 3. I can't offer any explanation btw. Let's email Matt hand-cock.