Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

How is a vaccine going to work if you can re-catch it. A vaccine is basically a measured amount of antibodies that your body learns to fight against. Is this going to have to be a 6 monthly injection of something?

I imagine it will be similar to the annual flu jab which doesn't stop you getting flu it just stops it from getting into your lungs and makes catching the flu much more like just catching a cold.

It might even be given yearly at the same time as the flu jab to the same people.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MPH said:

Thank you for asking. No more rats! Thank God.

in and out of bed all day. Fever has gone but i’m suffering with my lungs now.. can’t even walk to the bathroom without needing an inhaler. ironic as i havnt EVER smoked a cigarette in my life. always told my sisters it was bad for their health haha. 

Dr says i’ll either get better  or worse. Thanks for that, Sherlock.

Bedside manner costs extra in the U.S.A.

How you doing today? I'm guessing either better or worse, (gonna, change my FT name to Trav Le Bleu M.D.)

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Well my antibodies are sufficient for my plasma to be of use so I’m invited back to do it again next week ........ think I’ll give it an extra few days to week 3 

And it was a while ago you had it wasn’t it? That’s good news then at least 

29 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Always wondered why our deaths were so high...

Can't be true surely?

Our excess deaths per 100k (probably the most consistent measure across country to country) is the highest in Europe.

Our deaths were high compared to others for a myriad of reasons the main ones being we were slow to lock down, painfully slow to roll out testing and released tens of thousands of symptomatic elderly hospital patients back into their care homes with out testing them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

:dunno:

Sorry, that's total and utter nonsense.  There isnt an "NHS database".  Every Gp surgery has a system separate from all others.   There is a single system for community hospitals in Leicestershire but UHL (LRI,GGH,LGH) doesnt have a single central patient record system.  You couldn't do this in Leicester never mind the whole of the nhs.

I think this Oxford vaccine is gonna be massive.

Even though we've opened up a bit, it's not enough and not a viable long term solution. Saw a couple of music venues go in Manchester this week. It won't be long before other shops and bars that require a decent level of footfall will have to go as well.

43 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Missus has just come home from the care home crying, she's got the rona. 

We've been better behaved than 99.9% of people and she's devastated. No symptoms at all so just hoping for a false positive I guess. :(

My sympathies, my eldest also works in a care home and I know some of the stresses of the Covid-19 outbreak.  Hopefully your wife, if she does have Covid-19, will have a mild infection.  Some people get the infection and never show any symptoms.

11 hours ago, pleatout said:

Sorry, that's total and utter nonsense.  There isnt an "NHS database".  Every Gp surgery has a system separate from all others.   There is a single system for community hospitals in Leicestershire but UHL (LRI,GGH,LGH) doesnt have a single central patient record system.  You couldn't do this in Leicester never mind the whole of the nhs.

Seems like there's confirmation we're recording deaths from people who had it months ago though unlike other countries.

It explains why our death rate continues to be much higher than other out tries with the same or higher level of cases though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

Edited by Sampson

58 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Well been for my rona rest at Birstall Park and ride. Easy peasy. Crazy how they've got like a dozen people just acting as human direction signs though. 

Did you have symptoms or just went anyway?

Just now, Ollie93 said:

Did you have symptoms or just went anyway?

Went anyway. On the recommendation of the people who run my missus's care home. Wasn't busy at Birstall at all so don't think there's any harm done. Could do with knowing if I'm positive as I've only been furloughed since yesterday. :mellow:

5 hours ago, Sampson said:

Seems like there's confirmation we're recording deaths from people who had it months ago though unlike other countries.

It explains why our death rate continues to be much higher than other out tries with the same or higher level of cases though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

Apparently, England has been recording deaths due to covid-19 even if you've had it and recovered from it and not set a time limit as they do in other parts of the UK i.e. 28 days after a person has recovered from it. So if you get hit by a bus, but at one time in your life you've had covid-19, then it's the virus that killed you so theoretically if you've had it, you can only die from it. According to the powers that be, that's an anomaly! 

On 15/07/2020 at 18:36, Trav Le Bleu said:

Masks are a big problem for the deaf. My wife has had problems understanding people wearing masks in shops, but they've always been able to pull them down so she can read their lips. I say problems, it's impossible.

On the news this morning they were reporting that to help deaf people there were masks with clear, see-through fronts, specially for deaf people, but for some reason they completely missed the point that this doesn't help them, unless everyone else wears them. Deaf people wearing them is pointless, hearing people don't lipread deaf people.

It's a typically hackneyed solution to the problems of this pandemic.

I didn’t realise how bad my hearing was until people started wearing masks.

Without being able to lip read I really struggle.

15 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I didn’t realise how bad my hearing was until people started wearing masks.

Without being able to lip read I really struggle.

I think even with perfect hearing, communication is more difficult when someone is wearing a mask. We don't realise how much we take from looking at a person's expression.

• Like 2

Just spent an entire day being briefed on the 2nd wave. Apparently it's going to be far worse than the first, we will spend Christmas in lockdown, but dont worry we are far better prepared now. All this being said to an exhausted workforce, 50% of which aren't from the UK and haven't seen their families since Feb or earlier. :nono:

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Just spent an entire day being briefed on the 2nd wave. Apparently it's going to be far worse than the first, we will spend Christmas in lockdown, but dont worry we are far better prepared now. All this being said to an exhausted workforce, 50% of which aren't from the UK and haven't seen their families since Feb or earlier. :nono:

Turns my stomach to even think about it.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Turns my stomach to even think about it.

I dont even know what to think. Obviously every winter is very busy in Critcal Care, flu in one form or another always surges. I still refuse to believe covid like we knew it will come again. One of our (most respected) icu consultants still insists it wont come back in the way we knew it, I'm just clinging to that. Either way spend as much time with the people you love as you can before the cold hits. I know I will.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I dont even know what to think. Obviously every winter is very busy in Critcal Care, flu in one form or another always surges. I still refuse to believe covid like we knew it will come again. One of our (most respected) icu consultants still insists it wont come back in the way we knew it, I'm just clinging to that. Either way spend as much time with the people you love as you can before the cold hits. I know I will.

Well that was going to be my next question, do you think what they are saying is correct.

Its definitely here to stay until a vaccine is available but, I know this is a huge but as the country is ran by ****wits, I think with distancing and track/trace (that’s surely the number 1 priority) it shouldn’t be as bad surely.