Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

46 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Cases rising here again now.back up to 623 cases on the rolling 7 day average.

Not sure how much this is due to the Herefordshire outbreak but the drop has really started to stagnate now.

A few weeks ago I was pretty confident we wouldn't have a second wave but not so much now.

Nuts if they don't bring in mandatory masks in shops. Otherwise it's only a matter of time until we're closing things down again.

I wore one for the first time when I did the big shop yesterday. Not sure why I'd waited so long to do so - it's really not a big deal. Thought I might as well get used to it as it sounds like it's going to become compulsory sooner or later.

I'm bewildered as to why some people make a fuss about it

14 hours ago, MPH said:

it’s been a totally mad few days. worst days of my life.  i can’t even stand up without getting out of breath.  just walked through to the kitchen and saw rats all over floor. wife assured me they  were not really there. horrible stuff. gets any worse i’ll have to go in. i blame Wellens.

That's horrible. Get well soon. 

On 10/07/2020 at 22:15, Trav Le Bleu said:

Re: kick-starting the economy.

Can people please do it by going out to real shops? :thumbup:

I can't deliver any more parcels per day than I already am. :cry:

Shops are heading to obsolescence in my opinion, but is hard for us folk on here to go shops anyway as we have a lockdown.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wore one for the first time when I did the big shop yesterday. Not sure why I'd waited so long to do so - it's really not a big deal. Thought I might as well get used to it as it sounds like it's going to become compulsory sooner or later.

I'm bewildered as to why some people make a fuss about it

it’s actually quite disgusting.....those with a valid medical reason then no issues but the rest of us have no excuse not to do the right thing.

the lowest wholesale price of masks is now right down at 10/12p each. Instead of offering ten quid vouchers for a Tuesday evening meal, they should be giving away cheap masks ...... 

17 hours ago, MPH said:

it’s been a totally mad few days. worst days of my life.  i can’t even stand up without getting out of breath.  just walked through to the kitchen and saw rats all over floor. wife assured me they  were not really there. horrible stuff. gets any worse i’ll have to go in. i blame Wellens.

The wider public need reminding how dangerous this disease is ......too many have forgotten 

• Like 2

Yeah, too much concentration on the death rate and not enough on how awful it is even for those who survive it as  MPH sadly describes :(. Something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy,

Even if masks only have a 30% effect (and most studies I've seen say it's more than that but 30% seems to be the lowest estimate, others say anything from 30% to 70% to 97%) then that can easily be enough for the R number to change from 1.1 to 0.9 and see the virus decline rather than grow for example.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah, too much concentration on the death rate and not enough on how awful it is even for those who survive it as  MPH sadly describes :(. Something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy,

Even if masks only have a 30% effect (and most studies I've seen say it's more than that but 30% seems to be the lowest estimate, others say anything from 30% to 70% to 97%) then that can easily be enough for the R number to change from 1.1 to 0.9 and see the virus decline rather than grow for example.

Yes, especially if everyone is wearing them in close contact situations such as shops and public transport. Get the combined effect of transmission reduction for both giver and receiver.

On 12/07/2020 at 18:21, MPH said:

It was the very next day I got sick. He left about 2 PM on Saturday and by Sunday evening I was in a mess.

As it happens a lot of the ‘no mask’ brigade seem to have gone very quiet over here..

Thanks for your reply. I had no idea the impact was so quick.

Also, from the spirited way you have written, I had thought you were certainly getting over it.  Your subsequent message about how you are feeling came as a surprise.  Sorry for my naïvety ..... good luck again to you and your family 🙏

8 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Thanks for your reply. I had no idea the impact was so quick.

Also, from the spirited way you have written, I had thought you were certainly getting over it.  Your subsequent message about how you are feeling came as a surprise.  Sorry for my naïvety ..... good luck again to you and your family 🙏

laughter is a good medicine!

and thank you.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So government insist on masks in shops from July 24th. 

Why the delay from now until then! Why the delay in the first place?  

The very delay underplays their own integrity on it 

I guess the argument would be it gives people enough time to get at least one mask.

Some elderly people can't order online and only go out for their weekly shop which gives them a chance to get one then.

I'd say if you've already got one and have been a bit lax (which is understandable given no one else is wearing them) it's probably a good idea to start from tomorrow to get into the habit of it.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

It's fine, coronavirus likes to wait for you to protect yourself before it gets you. Plenty of time to practice staying alert with masks by 24th.

11 days. What's the rationale behind making it mandatory but only from 11 days time? I get there has to be time for deliveries etc but 11 days? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lionator said:

Anti mask stuff is the weirdest covid conspiracy of them all, it makes no sense to me. 

We had to have a British Gas engineer in to service the boiler. My wife asked him to wear a mask, he went off on a huge rant about how they cause brain damage and can poison you. Bloke works with gas all day! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

I guess the argument would be it gives people enough time to get at least one mask.

Some elderly people can't order online and only go out for their weekly shop which gives them a chance to get one then.

I'd say if you've already got one and have been a bit lax (which is understandable given no one else is wearing them) it's probably a good idea to start from tomorrow to get into the habit of it.

I understand the argument enough time. However you’d be advising face masks should be worn and recommended with them mandatory as of a date. 

They’ve undermined their own position by saying it’s okay until 24th. There will be people thinking ‘well if it’s okay until the 24th, it’s okay anytime as the peaks gone’

I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore but the extent that some people are losing their sh*t on Twitter about wearing a face covering is leaving me somewhat bewildered.

A lot of 'I'm only shopping at Amazon now well done for destroying high street retail' vibes going down.

It's already been noted (probably on here) that this feels very like when seatbelts were made compulsory in, what was it, 1980? I was ridiculously young at the time, but I can remember the whining even now

• Like 1

I've been wearing a face mask in shops since mid March but definitely in the minority around here. Don't understand the resistance to it nor why we've waited so long to make it mandatory.

I’ve worn one the last few times I’ve been in shops but agreed, barely anyone is. Funnily enough this is usually at the Tesco in South Wigston and from what my mum said they look like they are getting a bit of an issue there now as well.

Apparently everyone is being urged to be tested.

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So government insist on masks in shops from July 24th. 

Why the delay from now until then! Why the delay in the first place?  

The very delay underplays their own integrity on it 

To be fair they need to give some people time to actually get them. They'll be sold out everywhere this morning. 

11 hours ago, Lionator said:

Anti mask stuff is the weirdest covid conspiracy of them all, it makes no sense to me. 

Maybe wearing a mask make you look "soft" :blink:

Or some crap about civil liberties ("my right to be stupid") so similar to the right to bear arms  :ph34r:

See the source image