Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Yeah I was in Shoreditch/Old Street on Saturday on Saturday expecting chaos from Soho pics the week before but it was very quiet as you say. Feel so bad for the hospitality industry, fvck knows what its like for pubs , restaurants etc in small villages across the country.

Well that said, Hackney is probably the definition of "young London" with that being the hot bed of 20 something middle classers. During lockdown I've been running every day pretty much and often through Hackney and the most flouting of lockdown rules took place there, easily. I have a lot of friends round there who I play football with and people in the area have been selfish and have the "it won't affect me, it's not my problem" mentality. Honestly people in that area have by and large been pricks, and makes you lose faith in humanity!

But back on topic of the hospitality business, yep it's the smaller / family businesses that simply won't survive. All of those quaint pubs / cafes / eating places that were owned by families who had passion about what they did will be gone. What they even go on to do next who knows? And that's just the tip of the iceberg, all of that trickles down and will have a profound impact on multiple industries. I could even see the entirety of League Two going bust for example, those clubs depend on matchday attendance, as do many businesses nearby that live for matchday, etc.

Life won't be the same again for many, if not all people. Crazy situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

But back on topic of the hospitality business, yep it's the smaller / family businesses that simply won't survive. All of those quaint pubs / cafes / eating places that were owned by families who had passion about what they did will be gone. What they even go on to do next who knows? 

Maybe it's just where I am situated which has a strong independent vibe to it, but I am finding the opposite in my area, that people are flocking to the local shops/eateries and ignoring the chains. One of our local cafes has been doing takeaway from the door for some time and I can't remember seeing the place without someone waiting in line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Part of me thinks how much of this is political? I bought a mask online a few months (made in China of course - as were most available at that stage) whereas now there are probably far more local producers of masks so I wonder if its a case that Boris and Trump just didn't want masks to be compulsory and hand China yet more income. Possibly a small reason among a lot of others.

And we had huge shortages of ppe so the government didn't want the extra demand. And drawing attention to the fact that healthcare professionals couldn't get protective masks never mind Joe bloggs! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Maybe it's just where I am situated which has a strong independent vibe to it, but I am finding the opposite in my area, that people are flocking to the local shops/eateries and ignoring the chains. One of our local cafes has been doing takeaway from the door for some time and I can't remember seeing the place without someone waiting in line. 

That's great for them. That will be the case for areas in suburbia as now those places will have all of the footfall as people no longer commute into major working areas. Buy places that are traditionally located in areas that rely on heavy footfall will be decimated.

Take our city for example, how many places rely on the 32000 people that are in attendance every other Saturday to prop up their sales figures every month? I fear for them.

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's great for them. That will be the case for areas in suburbia as now those places will have all of the footfall as people no longer commute into major working areas. Buy places that are traditionally located in areas that rely on heavy footfall will be decimated.

Take our city for example, how many places rely on the 32000 people that are in attendance every other Saturday to prop up their sales figures every month? I fear for them.

Most definitely, it's the city centres that will suffer. I guess it leads to the question of whether our typical city centre design with huge stores is still what is required, with more and more sales moving online (obviously this shift to online shopping started way before Covid), but at the same time a real shortage of space for new housing. I have also in recent years felt uncomfortable about the reliance of retail within local economies, especially as many people are using credit to fund those purchases, it just doesn't seem sustainable. 

4 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Most definitely, it's the city centres that will suffer. I guess it leads to the question of whether our typical city centre design with huge stores is still what is required, with more and more sales moving online (obviously this shift to online shopping started way before Covid), but at the same time a real shortage of space for new housing. I have also in recent years felt uncomfortable about the reliance of retail within local economies, especially as many people are using credit to fund those purchases, it just doesn't seem sustainable. 

That is likely the huge societal shift we are about to see in the next 5-10 years. The problem is that in the time it takes for the world to find a new way of doing things (that may well be much better), many people are going on the scrapheap. There will be a lost generation of 18-24's no doubt, and many older than that will lose it all. Some new winners will be bred form all of this of course, but it's going to be misery for many.

You've also got the likes of Jeff Bezos who was already one of the world's richest people just profiting from it even more. I started my own company that is backed by VC firms and some of my investors have told me that for the investment community, this is like 2008 for them but on steroids. Those with existing wealth can swoop in and buy things for massively reduced prices and clean up over the long-term. And the ever-increasing gap between the have and have-not's is already alarming...

Anyone seen the reason for the huge spike in reported cases today in the UK?

It's basically more than doubled overnight from recent cases. Has there been a big spike somewhere or is it counting old cases or confirmed antibody cases?

Edited by Sampson

46 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Anyone seen the reason for the huge spike in reported cases today in the UK?

It's basically more than doubled overnight from recent cases. Has there been a big spike somewhere or is it counting old cases or confirmed antibody cases?

Blimey I saw it at 398 new cases earlier but the official world site I follow has it at over 1200 in the last 24 hours so I hope this is an error of some sort or back dating issues. 

Got no problem whatsoever with the government changing the advice on masks, and genuinely not sure why they are getting such stick for it, from both sides.

I would much rather have them possess the bollocks needed to put their hands up and change the advice on masks, especially when anyone who has walked into a supermarket over the lockdown can see that more and more people are getting on board with wearing them voluntarily. Hopefully that keeps the minority who believe the shite surrounding masks under control and the vast majority simply adopt it because it's become more "normal".

Good advice given late is still good advice, and since this crap is probably going to last at an absolute minimum another 12 months, it will make a hell of a big difference, especially during winter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

What should happen is that the landords, or their shareholders or lenders should take it on the chin and recognise that the basis of their rents and property values is footfall, and if the footfall goes their property is worth sod all.  Ergo they should give rental holidays to the retailers and hospitality sector until that footfall returns.

Just now, Innovindil said:

Got no problem whatsoever with the government changing the advice on masks, and genuinely not sure why they are getting such stick for it, from both sides.

I would much rather have them possess the bollocks needed to put their hands up and change the advice on masks, especially when anyone who has walked into a supermarket over the lockdown can see that more and more people are getting on board with wearing them voluntarily. Hopefully that keeps the minority who believe the shite surrounding masks under control and the vast majority simply adopt it because it's become more "normal".

Good advice given late is still good advice, and since this crap is probably going to last at an absolute minimum another 12 months, it will make a hell of a big difference, especially during winter.

I'm not sure it is late though - we are in a different situation.  When people were told to stay at home, one person from each family at the supermarket, all other shops shut, then masks would have little impact.  Now most shows are open and limits on numbers are going, then a mask does make a difference.  Also as I said a few pages ago, this is really I think about giving confidence to those who are nervous about going to the shops to get them out and spending!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm not sure it is late though - we are in a different situation.  When people were told to stay at home, one person from each family at the supermarket, all other shops shut, then masks would have little impact.  Now most shows are open and limits on numbers are going, then a mask does make a difference.  Also as I said a few pages ago, this is really I think about giving confidence to those who are nervous about going to the shops to get them out and spending!

Perfect sense. Good post :thumbup:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Blimey I saw it at 398 new cases earlier but the official world site I follow has it at over 1200 in the last 24 hours so I hope this is an error of some sort or back dating issues. 

Yeah I've seen it now.

398 new cases were confirmed today. But they added another 900 or so backdated ones from private tests in Wales by the looks of it. It says they're going to backdate those Wales tests in the next week or two in the figures to their correct dates,

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I get what you’re saying but I work in retail and our opinion today in the office was that this won’t help. 

People are already put off by the social distancing, the queues to get in the store, now you’re going to have to do all that in Summer wearing a face mask. Aside from the weekly food shop, people go to the High St/shopping centre because it’s an enjoyable experience, bit of shopping and browsing, meet up with friends for a coffee or lunch. This is one more step away from the norm for most people. 

I see them dressing it up as encouraging more people to shop but it’s misjudged. 

I was in Loughborough on Saturday wore my mask for the first time, 20 degrees and it was bearable but not pleasant. I would normally go browsing in T K Maxx but I wasn’t going to queue just to browse. People will buy what they need but as an ‘experience’ it’s gone. 

16 minutes ago, Livid said:

I get what you’re saying but I work in retail and our opinion today in the office was that this won’t help. 

People are already put off by the social distancing, the queues to get in the store, now you’re going to have to do all that in Summer wearing a face mask. Aside from the weekly food shop, people go to the High St/shopping centre because it’s an enjoyable experience, bit of shopping and browsing, meet up with friends for a coffee or lunch. This is one more step away from the norm for most people. 

I see them dressing it up as encouraging more people to shop but it’s misjudged. 

I was in Loughborough on Saturday wore my mask for the first time, 20 degrees and it was bearable but not pleasant. I would normally go browsing in T K Maxx but I wasn’t going to queue just to browse. People will buy what they need but as an ‘experience’ it’s gone. 

Have you contributed to the spike in the Charnwood council area?

I agree though, shopping as a pleasant activity which would include lunch, maybe a drink in a bar, window shopping, browsing, has gone. There's nothing seductive about "get in the shop, get what you need, **** off home". 

My wife would be gone with her sister for up to 6 hours pre lockdown. Now she's at home every Saturday. Can't even have a decent wank anymore. :ph34r:

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I agree though, shopping as a pleasant activity which would include lunch, maybe a drink in a bar, window shopping, browsing, has gone. There's nothing seductive about "get in the shop, get what you need, **** off home". 

My wife would be gone with her sister for up to 6 hours pre lockdown. Now she's at home every Saturday. Can't even have a decent wank anymore. :ph34r:

Get her to do it and have a bad one instead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Is that what she told you :nigel:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What should happen is that the landords, or their shareholders or lenders should take it on the chin and recognise that the basis of their rents and property values is footfall, and if the footfall goes their property is worth sod all.  Ergo they should give rental holidays to the retailers and hospitality sector until that footfall returns.

Most sensible landlords already are. Speaking to three property management firms in the last two weeks, they’ve collected 70% of rents. Independent and smaller businesses have come forward asking for assistance and lesser rents are agreed. The likelihood of picking up a commercial retail tenant is low, so obvs its better to get a deal done. 

The companies who taken the urine are the big retailers who are consulted better. There’s a huge chain which have remained open through out the lockdown, not paid a penny in rent and have now announce closures/job cuts. 

I had a walk around Birmingham at Monday lunchtime. It worryingly felt like a New Year bank holiday. Not many people out at all. Pubs and restaurants still remaining closed

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I had a walk around Birmingham at Monday lunchtime. It worryingly felt like a New Year bank holiday. Not many people out at all. Pubs and restaurants still remaining closed

I haven't been into town since March, but planning to go in next week - I expected it to be busier than that. What is the cross city line like at the moment? 

9 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I haven't been into town since March, but planning to go in next week - I expected it to be busier than that. What is the cross city line like at the moment? 

Haven’t taken the train since March. I drive into the office two times a week. Financially it’s working out the same - 2 x £13 compared to 5 x £6 

13 hours ago, Livid said:

You way well be right that the Government's gamble is incorrect, and I am sure if we don;t see a turnaround in sales they will revise it again.  As I said, there are a lot of people staying away for fear of someone else without a mask standing right next to them or leaning over to grab something - I have seen those complaints on facebook groups for months.  Maybe this helps maybe it doesn't, but I can't fault them for trying something to boost retail.

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Haven’t taken the train since March. I drive into the office two times a week. Financially it’s working out the same - 2 x £13 compared to 5 x £6 

I have saved £1,836 on train tickets in the 17 weeks since I went to the office, probably more like £2,200 all in..  Unfortunately I have blown it on more takeaways, wine and camping gear. 

Edited by Jon the Hat