Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Harrydc

Terribly handled, so much mis-information and now being made to wear a mask which was apparently pointless a few months back.  Makes sense. 

18 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Think because they were already struggling to get enough for NHS and if they had made it compulsory for everyone then it would’ve been even more of a shit show for them. That is more about how badly they handled the pandemic from the start.

That's definitely true but it is *weird* that after months of not backing them, both Trump and Boris have now done a complete turnaround on the subject. We've had enough PPE to go round for a while now since 3rd party sellers started making them available.

I think it's good to have made them mandatory, though there are still glaring inconsistencies. I'm at the office right now, there are only two of us... but should we wear a mask? People are supposed to wear them on public transport but probably 50% don't, and I've never seen anyone get fined for not wearing one, etc. 

I wear one when I'm out and though it is initially annoying you get used to it pretty quickly. 

We have more people wearing masks out in the shops the last 3 weeks. A lot of that is down to restrictions being lifted on people over 70 who are going outdoors for the first time in 3 months.

It was odd at first to wear one but after 4-5 days you get used to it. Now no big deal.

Ireland was due to enter phase 4 easing next week with pubs reopening fully but a few developments might have thrown a spanner in the works.

Cases have gone up again though deaths remain low for now. A number of house parties have not helped as clusters have broken out. American tourists have started visiting the country with not a care in the world. Restaurants in Kerry have refused to serve them and no doubt a lot more will do the same. They may have entered the country via Belfast.

A number of GAA clubs have had to shut up shop as at least 1 case has been confirmed. Gonna last at least 7 days but a number of clubs will have cases certainly.

Not ideal but a timely reminder before the Autumn/Winter to be on our guard.

36 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Why were masks not compulsory in the first place? 

The question I think is why if they weren't necessary before are they necessary now?  I believe the answer is that as a result of the government messaging designed to scare people into taking COVID-19 serioulsy, people are staying away from shops becuase they don't feel safe.  Now the government NEEDs people to get back out there, and particularly into shops, they are making a gamble that more people will go shopping if everyone has to wear a mask.  It has nothing to do with the science and everything to do with confidence.

Edited by Jon the Hat

Off to donate blood this afternoon and received a text yesterday saying to wear a mask. Won't bother me as i bought a load off Amazon when they started to become available and never go shopping without one. The only issue i have is that if i have my sunglasses on they steam up, but since its dull as drainwater outside there wont be any need for shades today :D 

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Off to donate blood this afternoon and received a text yesterday saying to wear a mask. Won't bother me as i bought a load off Amazon when they started to become available and never go shopping without one. The only issue i have is that if i have my sunglasses on they steam up, but since its dull as drainwater outside there wont be any need for shades today :D 

Washing up liquid stops them steaming up.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The question I think is why if they weren't necessary before are they necessary now?  

Because our government is incompetent. There is countless evidence out there that proves wearing masks helps reduce the spread of the virus. 

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

What do i do? Just put washing up liquid on them and then wipe it off? 

(Sorry for dumb question)

Put it on with a cloth so its smudgy then clean it off with a clean cloth. Or use this stuff which will last for years. 

https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/cleaning/muc-off-motorcycle-premium-anti-fog-treatment---35ml-917716.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Because our government is incompetent. There is countless evidence out there that proves wearing masks helps reduce the spread of the virus. 

It's fairly obvious that this virus is spread in exactly the same way as any flu virus, in other words from people either coughing or sneezing into the open air or into their hands and touching a surface which someone else handles etc. A mask is going to stop someone coughing it into the air because no-one now bothers with hankies.

36 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Spoilt children lol

If everyone else thinks differently to you, might be worth thinking about what is being said!

Spitting Image Tories  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's definitely true but it is *weird* that after months of not backing them, both Trump and Boris have now done a complete turnaround on the subject. We've had enough PPE to go round for a while now since 3rd party sellers started making them available.

I think it's good to have made them mandatory, though there are still glaring inconsistencies. I'm at the office right now, there are only two of us... but should we wear a mask? People are supposed to wear them on public transport but probably 50% don't, and I've never seen anyone get fined for not wearing one, etc. 

I wear one when I'm out and though it is initially annoying you get used to it pretty quickly. 

Part of me thinks how much of this is political? I bought a mask online a few months (made in China of course - as were most available at that stage) whereas now there are probably far more local producers of masks so I wonder if its a case that Boris and Trump just didn't want masks to be compulsory and hand China yet more income. Possibly a small reason among a lot of others.

31 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Part of me thinks how much of this is political? I bought a mask online a few months (made in China of course - as were most available at that stage) whereas now there are probably far more local producers of masks so I wonder if its a case that Boris and Trump just didn't want masks to be compulsory and hand China yet more income. Possibly a small reason among a lot of others.

TBH that's exactly the kind of petty point-scoring in the face of a global crisis that would appeal to Trump, so I reckon it's possible. Who knows, though.

On the subject of facemasks, strangely, we were only advised to keep a 2 metre distance when we were on a break in the mess room with other people. That is until 3 weeks ago when were told that we now have to wear masks in the mess room if we can't maintain social distancing and also both crew members now have to wear masks in the cab of the ambulance.

Seemed odd until we worked out that it was to do with track and trace. If one person shows symptoms then potentially the whole shift would have to self-isolate. That would be disastrous for staffing levels.

Still should have been the case from the start, really.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nalis said:

More than plausible for sure. 

Most likely though opinion polls and surveys show most people don’t think it’s safe to be doing things regularly again, so the mandatory mask ruling will curtail that. I’m in London and sometimes I have to ask myself “where is everybody?!” Large swathes still feel like a complete ghost town and so many businesses will fail. Sad times. 

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

More than plausible for sure. 

Most likely though opinion polls and surveys show most people don’t think it’s safe to be doing things regularly again, so the mandatory mask ruling will curtail that. I’m in London and sometimes I have to ask myself “where is everybody?!” Large swathes still feel like a complete ghost town and so many businesses will fail. Sad times. 

Yeah I was in Shoreditch/Old Street on Saturday on Saturday expecting chaos from Soho pics the week before but it was very quiet as you say. Feel so bad for the hospitality industry, fvck knows what its like for pubs , restaurants etc in small villages across the country.

• Like 1