Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

13 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Well that was going to be my next question, do you think what they are saying is correct.

Its definitely here to stay until a vaccine is available but, I know this is a huge but as the country is ran by ****wits, I think with distancing and track/trace (that’s surely the number 1 priority) it shouldn’t be as bad surely.

I just don't know, I'm not even remotely qualified to know. NHS England are all over us right now ensuring what we do can be provided in multiple locations, in view of 2 surges, the usual flu issue and then the covid 2nd wave. Everyone is so knackered. 

To be honest though, I'm more anxious about the British publics' mindset to cope with a winter lockdown more than I am the NHS.

Just now, z-layrex said:

I just don't know, I'm not even remotely qualified to know. NHS England are all over us right now ensuring what we do can be provided in multiple locations, in view of 2 surges, the usual flu issue and then the covid 2nd wave. Everyone is so knackered. 

To be honest though, I'm more anxious about the British publics' mindset to cope with a winter lockdown more than I am the NHS.

As I read this the 6 o’clock news is on ..   the PM is saying we should have returned to normality by Christmas ....  

5 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

It’s the whole thing isn’t it. The deaths are horrendous undoubtedly but I also feel like a second lockdown would be the final axe to fall on so many businesses which then has a massive impact on people’s mental health which could be worse than COVID deaths.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

I didn’t realise how bad my hearing was until people started wearing masks.

Without being able to lip read I really struggle.

Oh tell me about it, i went to donate blood earlier in the week and its mandatory for everyone  to wear a mask, the amount of time i had to say 'sorry can you repeat that' was crazy. 

• Like 1

Praying for a miracle we somehow have the oxford vaccine before Christmas. Flu and covid is a deadly deadly mix. 

Not entirely sure what the governments game is, lockdown is shit and letting the virus run rampant would be even shitter, but surely they’d want to keep the level of infection down going into winter? I don’t get why we are restoring so many freedoms (allowing the level of corona in the community to rise) before having to row it back in the future. Surely we’d be better keeping things at a minimum to ensure winter isn’t so bad?

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Praying for a miracle we somehow have the oxford vaccine before Christmas. Flu and covid is a deadly deadly mix. 

Not entirely sure what the governments game is, lockdown is shit and letting the virus run rampant would be even shitter, but surely they’d want to keep the level of infection down going into winter? I don’t get why we are restoring so many freedoms (allowing the level of corona in the community to rise) before having to row it back in the future. Surely we’d be better keeping things at a minimum to ensure winter isn’t so bad?

Still a long way off winter though. If this is going to happen the announcement today wasn’t because it’s going to happen, it was to try to convince people it’s getting back to near normal so we spend money.

9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Missus has just come home from the care home crying, she's got the rona. 

We've been better behaved than 99.9% of people and she's devastated. No symptoms at all so just hoping for a false positive I guess. :(

Wish you both the best.

Im sure it’s mentally daunting, but, most people

recover fine. Seeing things in the press focused on the negative can be overwhelming, but the underlying fact is most people recover. Some even have no symptoms. Wish you all the best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I dont even know what to think. Obviously every winter is very busy in Critcal Care, flu in one form or another always surges. I still refuse to believe covid like we knew it will come again. One of our (most respected) icu consultants still insists it wont come back in the way we knew it, I'm just clinging to that. Either way spend as much time with the people you love as you can before the cold hits. I know I will.

I tend to agree with your consultant. Surely the test, track and trace stuff means we can isolate a majority of people before they infect 3/4/5 people like was happening before. In addition, it's clear the first wave has taken down the most vulnerable in society. A second wave wont necessarily do that and may affect younger populations who get less severe disease (coronaviruses rarely mutate). My personal opinion is that the most disruption is going to come from colds/flu. If you have a minor cold you're going to have to stay at home until you test negative for covid. If that's 2/3 days wait then it's going to have a major effect especially on healthcare staff who are more exposed to viruses. 

On the other hand it's good that you're prepared, the 'reasonable worst case' scenario which came out this week was based on zero mitigation factors which clearly wouldn't be the case with what we have now.

In addition the Oxford Vaccine is looking more and more hopeful. We now know it produces an antibody and t cell response in humans, which looks like it'll provide immunity from serious disease for 6 months at least until a stronger vaccine comes along from the US/Europe/maybe even Cuba. Maybe this is why Boris thinks we can be back to normal by Christmas.

Edited by Lionator

42 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Didn’t want to go back to work anyway

image.thumb.png.80c57351ece59311293b3805cbbc1797.png

burton upon trent, labour tory or other? personally I dont think there will be any other town/city lockdowns, Leicester is the example to be used as a deterrent for other LA's.

Edited by Chrysalis

Cycled round my mums tonight, she lives a mile away but is in the lockdown zone and I’m not, checked before if she was in etc.

Sit down “I thought I had corona the other day, cough, lump in my throat and felt ill but I’ve definitely not got it” oh absolutely sound mother.

For anyone with the attention span, this is an interesting discussion about a paper suggesting that exposure to one coronavirus may provide a long lasting T cell level immune response to another. It is suggested as a possible explanation why some people have less severe reactions to Covid 19 than others.

I’ve posted stuff from this guy before and have found his analyses to be very helpful to my understanding of this infection.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

0ab1a10a8682646b1c485879b33b8990.png

The missus's test was done on wednesday and she was positive. Mine was done friday and I'm negative.

How is that even possible. :huh:

Option 1 - false positive

Option 2 - false negative

Option 3 - you have ultimate immunity and your body must be harvested for cures.

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

The missus's test was done on wednesday and she was positive. Mine was done friday and I'm negative.

Maybe get one of the home kits ordered for your wife. Does she have any symptoms yet? 

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

A word of caution.  Your wife's test may have been a false positive, but if not please consider all the following possibilities:

1.  You have natural immunity and will not contract the virus;

2.  You do not have natural immunity but have not contracted the virus from your wife.  This does not mean that you will not or cannot contract it during the period she is infectious.

3.  You do not have natural immunity and have already contracted the virus; however as incubation usually takes 4-5 days any test carried out before that time may not produce a positive result.  You may be infectious right now.

• Thanks 1

On 16/07/2020 at 23:22, pleatout said:

Sorry, that's total and utter nonsense.  There isnt an "NHS database".  Every Gp surgery has a system separate from all others.   There is a single system for community hospitals in Leicestershire but UHL (LRI,GGH,LGH) doesnt have a single central patient record system.  You couldn't do this in Leicester never mind the whole of the nhs.

Just to support this. Pleat is correct. At present there is no one national data base. I work inCommissioning for mental health and I use a number of different clinical systems. There is no one over arching national database for the nhs. There is the national spine, but it’s not useable as described in the quoted tweet.   

2 hours ago, stix said:

Maybe get one of the home kits ordered for your wife. Does she have any symptoms yet? 

Nope, none at all. 

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

A word of caution.  Your wife's test may have been a false positive, but if not please consider all the following possibilities:

1.  You have natural immunity and will not contract the virus;

2.  You do not have natural immunity but have not contracted the virus from your wife.  This does not mean that you will not or cannot contract it during the period she is infectious.

3.  You do not have natural immunity and have already contracted the virus; however as incubation usually takes 4-5 days any test carried out before that time may not produce a positive result.  You may be infectious right now.

Cheers for this. Just to be clear I'm not leaving the house for the next 2 weeks as is recommended. Missus gets retested Wednesday as well so we'll see how that one turns out. Reckon number 3 is the one though, I'm probably just not to the point where a test will pick it up, seems crazy that I could have avoided it when it spreads so easily and we're pretty much always in the same room. :mellow:

10 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

For anyone with the attention span, this is an interesting discussion about a paper suggesting that exposure to one coronavirus may provide a long lasting T cell level immune response to another. It is suggested as a possible explanation why some people have less severe reactions to Covid 19 than others.

I’ve posted stuff from this guy before and have found his analyses to be very helpful to my understanding of this infection.

I’ve started to watch him again in the last couple of weeks.Have watched the piece you’ve posted.Very intresting.Thanks for sharing.