Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

i am terribly saddened by the death and suffering, i am even sadder that the collapse of society has seen the very rich get even richer while the rest suffer even more.

Surely you’ve got that the wrong way round ...

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's just depressing how many Facebook nutters are going to spread idiotic shite about microchips/Bill Gates/5G or the latest David Icke bollocks doing the rounds. 

Masks are a big problem for the deaf. My wife has had problems understanding people wearing masks in shops, but they've always been able to pull them down so she can read their lips. I say problems, it's impossible.

On the news this morning they were reporting that to help deaf people there were masks with clear, see-through fronts, specially for deaf people, but for some reason they completely missed the point that this doesn't help them, unless everyone else wears them. Deaf people wearing them is pointless, hearing people don't lipread deaf people.

It's a typically hackneyed solution to the problems of this pandemic.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Masks are a big problem for the deaf. My wife has had problems understanding people wearing masks in shops, but they've always been able to pull them down so she can read their lips. I say problems, it's impossible.

On the news this morning they were reporting that to help deaf people there were masks with clear, see-through fronts, specially for deaf people, but for some reason they completely missed the point that this doesn't help them, unless everyone else wears them. Deaf people wearing them is pointless, hearing people don't lipread deaf people.

It's a typically hackneyed solution to the problems of this pandemic.

I saw something on the news a while ago regarding the issues around deaf people and masks, it made me realise something I would never normally have thought about. Looks like no progress has been made though 

This is a good summary of vaccine progression - the Chinese version would appear to be ahead, but I presume any is still months away even if everything goes according to plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine

Both are testing in Brazil (and S Africa for Oxford vaccine: if  successful in these hotspots could be rolled out more widely. But even if successful and rolled out, will there be sufficient take up amongst the population to rid us of CV?

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Thank you for asking. No more rats! Thank God.

in and out of bed all day. Fever has gone but i’m suffering with my lungs now.. can’t even walk to the bathroom without needing an inhaler. ironic as i havnt EVER smoked a cigarette in my life. always told my sisters it was bad for their health haha. 

Dr says i’ll either get better  or worse. Thanks for that, Sherlock.

Well he isn’t wrong is he, some people...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MPH said:

Thank you for asking. No more rats! Thank God.

in and out of bed all day. Fever has gone but i’m suffering with my lungs now.. can’t even walk to the bathroom without needing an inhaler. ironic as i havnt EVER smoked a cigarette in my life. always told my sisters it was bad for their health haha. 

Dr says i’ll either get better  or worse. Thanks for that, Sherlock.

Get well soon mate! 

I work in a car dealership, we're waiting for clarification if we class as a shop and masks are compulsory. 

I find it amazing that it will be law for customers to cover their face, but staff won't be required to. That applies to any shop.

Edited by tom27111

9 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I work in a car dealership, we're waiting for clarification if we class as a shop and masks are compulsory. 

I find it amazing that it will be law for customers to cover their face, but staff won't be required to. That applies to any shop.

Makes you want to go shopping doesn’t it. Please don’t turn into Gareth from the office though, and dont follow people round like that **** in morrisons does.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Is there any evidence of people testing positive, recovering and then testing positive again yet?

I think it’s becoming established that your body can re-catch the virus 3 months after recovering from it’s first experience.Because the numbers were a lot smaller going back three months,it’s hard to get a true figure of reinfection.Either way it potentially puts a rather big hole in the herd immunity theory.This thing really isn’t going away quietly.So many unknowns about long term damage etc.November is fast becoming a crucial month for so many reasons.

6 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Just saw that Florida has 3 times as many Covid cases as all of Canada.

Whether its the Olympics or a plague, we just can't compete with the good 'ol US of A.

17 States yesterday into four figure positive tests confirmed, another record.  I see the federal administration is now asking for it to be passed the Covid statistics direct from hospitals rather than to the CDC.  Politicians clearly need to step up on how to make the dire story look better, never mind dealing direct with the outcome. That may seem a bit harsh but when you see the presser the other day being used as a campaign opportunity and disregarding anything on this deadly disease it is hard to determine anything else.

Meanwhile, here in my Region in Spain face masks are now compulsory all the time outside.  High 30c temperatures do not help.  Flout the ruling and first fine, immediately imposed, is €100 up to a maximum of €6000.  Don’t know what you’d have to do to face the latter but I do not intend finding out.

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

Is there any evidence of people testing positive, recovering and then testing positive again yet?

not confirmed (although my antibody nurse said she had one patient who showed they had it a while ago and also more recently)  but there will be soon if it’s likely to happen .........

5 hours ago, brucey said:

Everyone’s least favourite crossover is back.

95CB0DC9-438B-4D4D-B0C2-ACFD3907A205.jpeg

He may well be right for once .....

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think it’s becoming established that your body can re-catch the virus 3 months after recovering from it’s first experience.Because the numbers were a lot smaller going back three months,it’s hard to get a true figure of reinfection.Either way it potentially puts a rather big hole in the herd immunity theory.This thing really isn’t going away quietly.So many unknowns about long term damage etc.November is fast becoming a crucial month for so many reasons.

The T cell theory is going to be v important ref re infection ......of course the question is also whether you can effectively spread it if fighting it off a second time 

my house currently in the throws of twenty somethings claiming to have it again (diff symptoms to last time in March) and I have noticed myself with odd headache, my smell being a little impaired and a bit of lethargy over the past week but I expect it’s just a cold of some kind which we would all usually hardly notice.  (I did send one of them for a test (neg) but the diy nature of it means that no way was he going to get a proper reading  - passed out after his BCG for reference ! ) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

How is a vaccine going to work if you can re-catch it. A vaccine is basically a measured amount of antibodies that your body learns to fight against. Is this going to have to be a 6 monthly injection of something?

I guess so, similar approach to the flu vaccine where they will target particular people in society to receive the vaccine. 

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

How is a vaccine going to work if you can re-catch it. A vaccine is basically a measured amount of antibodies that your body learns to fight against. Is this going to have to be a 6 monthly injection of something?

The oxford one (positive news link at top of the thread) has the twin effect of upping antibodies and generating T cells (killer cells) - they remember how to fight the lurgy is how I believe it works

a further article here (a bit more detail)

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-15/positive-news-is-coming-on-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-writes-robert-peston

Edited by Wolfox

So what's the next time line then? In May Boris did that road map thing which took us in to July. What's the scope for the next few months, specifically for Leicester or other towns/cities on the brink? Is it going back to local authorities to manage (with reduced funding)? 

What's the next step once deaths reach zero consistently (sooner rather than later let's hope) and case numbers continue to regularly come down too?