Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

On 18/07/2020 at 11:31, davieG said:

Image may contain: text

I now have visions of a certain venerable and revered Foxes Talk Administrator walking around Leicester with a pair of polka-dot knickers strapped to his face.....

I suspect that was not the intended message. :D

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I now have visions of a certain venerable and revered Foxes Talk Administrator walking around Leicester with a pair of polka-dot knickers strapped to his face.....

I suspect that was not the intended message. :D

I find lacy bras much more suitable and attractive.

My current collection, sorry I have no selfies.

Underwear as outerwear: bra masks are a thing now

• Haha 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and white blood cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

:fc:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and white blood cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

As a matter of interest, how do they know it actually fights the virus, do they eventually test it on patients who have covid-19 and see if they get better, or do they give it to 1000 healthy people, as in this test, and see how many people don't get it.

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Does this mean now we know we have a working vaccine, but it’s just a case of working out how many doses and how frequently you would need to receive it? 

33 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Does this mean now we know we have a working vaccine, but it’s just a case of working out how many doses and how frequently you would need to receive it? 

No. It means we have a vaccine that we know is safe to use and triggers an immune response and provides protection for covid in certain animals. It's still not certain how much it helps protects humans yet but ithe signs are very good.

We still have to do proper trails where we deliberately infect people with covid after having had the vaccine. This will show then how well the vaccine properly works or not - or to how great a degree it works. Whether its 100% successful or just 1% or works in some people but not others, or just means some will just have a nasty illness but wont die when they otherwise would have etc.

I dont envy the people volunteering for that trial.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sampson said:

No. It means we have a vaccine that we know is safe to use and triggers an immune response and provides protection for covid in certain animals. It's still not certain how much it helps protects humans yet but ithe signs are very good.

We still have to do proper trails where we deliberately infect people with covid after having had the vaccine. This will show then how well the vaccine properly works or not - or to how great a degree it works. Whether its 100% successful or just 1% or works in some people but not others, or just means some will just have a nasty illness but wont die when they otherwise would have etc.

I dont envy the people volunteering for that trial.

Is that what they actually do? I’d have thought that they deploy the vaccine to a group of people in an area of high infection rates (eg Brazil), and a placebo to a control group in the same area, then compare the infection rates over time of the 2 groups.

Blackburn’s Director of Public Health is refusing to impose a total lockdown like we have had in Leicester, instead he is saying they will reverse measures one by one to try and control the spike of infections. What a load of bollocks, councils cannot be trusted to impose lockdown because they stand to lose out by doing so. The government needs to step in. 

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

Blackburn’s Director of Public Health is refusing to impose a total lockdown like we have had in Leicester, instead he is saying they will reverse measures one by one to try and control the spike of infections. What a load of bollocks, councils cannot be trusted to impose lockdown because they stand to lose out by doing so. The government needs to step in. 

I hope they stay out of it, if our numbers are really the same it then makes our lockdown harder to justify in 2 weeks.

I fear for our numbers though as schools have been reopened, the time log, for the leicester lockdown started with an outbreak in a school.

I just dont understand how schools reopening is in the first stage.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/blackburn-overtakes-leicester-uks-coronavirus-22384496

I just checked the NHS dashboard, its abit better, in that mirror article we had 281 triages, the live figure is now 258.

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/progression

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

We’ve even dropped off the top of the Corona league table, bloody Blackburn.

AE4599D0-D734-4878-9278-D6CFBEFBB0BC.png

Don’t worry we’re still 44 clear of Luton. I still fully expect top 4 and can’t wait to take on the big cities of Italy and Spain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I'll be honest.

I won't touch that thing. Don't fancy injecting something rushed through. 

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Remember this from April?

Bet she’s ****ing fuming. 

• Haha 1

Guest Harrydc

So it's come out that the death figure isn't true. On Sky News today they stated that if you've had Covid, and then died of something completely unrelated months later you will be added to the death toll. Who do we trust? 

Guest Harrydc
2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think it's best to go with the excess deaths, which suggest that we may actually have under-reported fatalities. 

I feel a bigger concern In the coming months should be the deaths of people who haven't been able to get vital operations, cancer treatment etc. I feel the worse is yet to come, and it won't even be from Covid... 

59 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Remember this from April?

Bet she’s ****ing fuming. 

No disrespect but half your posts seem to be divisive shit you've found on twitter. Why don't you just ignore it or, even better, keep it in twitter. Because I come to foxestalk for a bit of sanity not culture war nonsense. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

No disrespect but half your posts seem to be divisive shit you've found on twitter. Why don't you just ignore it or, even better, keep it in twitter. Because I come to foxestalk for a bit of sanity not culture war nonsense. 

Your posts seem to be yeast extract diluted in boiling water

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, bovril said:

Duly noted. I am working on overcoming my afflictions.