Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

38 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Haven’t taken the train since March. I drive into the office two times a week. Financially it’s working out the same - 2 x £13 compared to 5 x £6 

Yeah fair enough, that sounds sensible. I won't be back in work until September and even then will probably be something like once a week. I intend to walk it as it's only a couple of miles, although that will be more of a challenge during icy days in the winter... 

42 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Yeah fair enough, that sounds sensible. I won't be back in work until September and even then will probably be something like once a week. I intend to walk it as it's only a couple of miles, although that will be more of a challenge during icy days in the winter... 

The feeling in Birmingham seems to be it’s going to be September before offices get to even half capacity. It’s really affecting the small independent cafes off Colmore Row, Edmund Street and Newhall Street. Even the chain coffee stores have restricted hours. 
It’s taking me literally thirty minutes to drive in  for 9 miles which would normally take a hour plus. 

I have found the move back to the office more productive for ongoing work but a waste of time if you think it’s going to make business easier between companies. The first week back was very spooky - the construction sites have continued regardless and the huge developments on Colmore Row/Chamberlain Square have moved on so much 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

How do you eat/drink with a mask on? :huh:

Of course, was thinking more on arrival, whilst being seated, ordering, going to toilet etc.

Probably spend more time in a restaurant, café or pub in the proximity of other people than you would in a supermarket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Of course, was thinking more on arrival, whilst being seated, ordering, going to toilet etc.

Probably spend more time in a restaurant, café or pub in the proximity of other people than you would in a supermarket.

Surely it's going to be hard enough getting everyone to use them in supermarkets and shops without having on/off/on/off/on/off rules in pubs and restaurants.

Just now, Innovindil said:

Surely it's going to be hard enough getting everyone to use them in supermarkets and shops without having on/off/on/off/on/off rules in pubs and restaurants.

Definitely. Not suggesting they should, just wondered if it had been mentioned.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Didn't Hancock say yesterday that supermarket workers are 60% (can't remember the exactly figure) more likely to catch Coronavirus than your average person? I'm trying to find an article about it but struggling, but was sure it was mentioned.

https://inews.co.uk/news/face-masks-hancock-retail-workers-coronavirus-537587

One of many references to his quote. Devil will be in the detail though.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Interesting as we head towards September 

8BB7297F-0BA4-4021-97EE-8EE5C968DCBE.thumb.png.a5d47dac7a1d69282c8ca8c137eb72f6.png

Pretty sobering really. Of course we've been consistently told opening schools is safe. Though the way they operate schools may differ. But of couse schools in Leicester did see an increase.

Edited by reynard

Impressive that they know where you contracted the virus. Have a little chat with the virus and ask when they jumped in.

@ozleicester I bet you're loving the collapse of society to be fair. You're quite keen on the whole living off the land hippie thing aren't you? :D (Apologies if it's not you, it was definitely someone with oz in their name that has posted about living off the grid haha)

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Didn't Hancock say yesterday that supermarket workers are 60% (can't remember the exactly figure) more likely to catch Coronavirus than your average person? I'm trying to find an article about it but struggling, but was sure it was mentioned.

And yet weren't they advised they didn't have to wear the masks? Apologies if wrong! 

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Because when you have a shortage of something, it’s hard to make it compulsory.

Sorry, I should've clarified - when they were readily available. Brands have been selling them for weeks on end.

Just been to Morrisons and still I'd say about only 30% had them on. I know it's not enforced yet.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Impressive that they know where you contracted the virus. Have a little chat with the virus and ask when they jumped in.

@ozleicester I bet you're loving the collapse of society to be fair. You're quite keen on the whole living off the land hippie thing aren't you? :D (Apologies if it's not you, it was definitely someone with oz in their name that has posted about living off the grid haha)

lol

i am terribly saddened by the death and suffering, i am even sadder that the collapse of society has seen the very rich get even richer while the rest suffer even more.

:) Im not quite at living off the land level... just a hope for a fairer world for all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Interesting as we head towards September 

8BB7297F-0BA4-4021-97EE-8EE5C968DCBE.thumb.png.a5d47dac7a1d69282c8ca8c137eb72f6.png

Interesting study if true. I wonder the logistics behind it given kids don't really develop the disease. Whether they can still be carriers and it's the staff and teachers getting it from the kids or the parents when they're picking their children up from school?

Are there any sources for it? Genuinely interested but I googled it and couldn't see anything and I'm hesitant to believe these viral messages at first glance. And the first study I can see on Google is a German study confirming low transmission in schools a couple of days ago.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Interesting study if true. I wonder the logistics behind it given kids don't really develop the disease. Whether they can still be carriers and it's the staff and teachers getting it from the kids or the parents when they're picking their children up from school?

Are there any sources for it? Genuinely interested but I googled it and couldn't see anything and I'm hesitant to believe these viral messages at first glance. And the first study I can see on Google is a German study confirming low transmission in schools a couple of days ago.

It was from a shared Facebook post by an Israeli politician ..... I assume it’s genuine based on the fact that the guy served in the parliament up to 2016 and would presumably have access to pukka stuff