Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

27 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The thing if it was 'only a 2 week delay' and then guarantees we'd open, most would accept it, but it won't be. It'll end up being a 4 week delay, which takes us to 19th July, and within those 4 weeks they'll discover a new variant or something else will be put forward as a reason we shouldn't be unlocking. At some point we're gonna hit a tipping point for most people and I think we're close to that.

Come September cases are going to start climbing pretty fast again, so unless we open properly in July or August, I fear we won't be unlocking at all. I'll repeat we'll still have masks and social distancing though, for the foreseeable.

That video of JHB and that old twat, I actually felt really angry but then I realised he's probably just a senile old fool. I've got mates that have lost businesses, marriages, homes and lives over this, some have been taking anti depressants for ages, friends of friends have openly talked about suicide, yet this old dick is sitting there laughing about it. If I said what I really thought as I was watching it I'd probably be banned so I'll refrain from doing so.

This is it for me and it's why he's got to resist. It wouldn't be two weeks. It'd be two that becomes four, that becomes six, and it just rolls on and on. Hold your nerve for once.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I was in a pub 4 days ago talking with my mates. A few mates went to an FA Cup final. 

There is so much to be able to enjoy, and the rest isn’t far away. 

I had family round for a birthday, in my house. I’ve got people round to watch the Euros. 

It’s been afforded by a surprisingly good vaccine rollout. So someone suggesting that they were promised a summer on the back of a vaccine  (they weren’t it was conditional and not set in stone), is purposely wanting to find the negatives.

Fair enough - that is good if you are able to cope well enough .

Everyone is different I guess.

Edited by Super_horns

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

There you go making assumptions about me again, I’m 53 I don’t want to go to nightclubs 😂  you’re coming across as quite arrogant and selfish.

Your life may be back to normal but there are plenty of people whose lives are far from normal, only you cannot see that as you’re so wrapped up in your own existence.

Utter bull plop, YOU were the one moaning about scientific advisors ruining a supposedly promised summer. Which of course be on the back of trying to stop lots of people getting sick. 

The list of things you can't do, isn't going to ruin a summer and you know it. 

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

You originally brought up the cricket, do you even go? Things are far from normal for plenty of people. So de me a favour.

Yeah, I have to stay in my seat and not wander about. Big wow. 

And, as I said the number of things currently listed that you can't do, essentially mass gatherings are minuscule in terms of how much time people spend doing them. There is plenty of things to do, which enable you to enjoy a summer. Which was your original point. 

So tell me what people can't do that means their lives aren't generally 95% back to normal?

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Ha ha ha because in terms of things you can and can’t do you know you don’t have a leg to stand on, relating to enjoying a summer in this country. 

So far we’ve had can’t go to a nightclub, have to book for a pub table (which you can still go to), can’t go to a concert which probably takes to about 00.1% of the average persons summer and you can’t walk about at the cricket. Do me a favour.

Just because some things are open it doesn’t mean they are back to normal or enjoyable to do at the minute.

If you’re happy with how things are at the minute then I’m pleased for you but I’d say the majority of people aren’t 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is it for me and it's why he's got to resist. It wouldn't be two weeks. It'd be two that becomes four, that becomes six, and it just rolls on and on. Hold your nerve for once.

I’m with you on this. It as the feeling of when Leicester was trapped last summer when other places were open.  Once a decision to hold fire is made then surely the figures which they’ve used to make that decision need to be bettered so to speak. With figures really low I don’t see that happening and therefore the summer restrictions will just continue.

I'm personally holding off booking certain things I need to book until after the 21st because I can't be arsed with the restrictions. I'm sure this is happening in a few places and I'm sure it's putting people off going out to places. Pubs are open but it's pubs-lite, really.

Just now, Lcfc82 said:

Just because some things are open it doesn’t mean they are back to normal or enjoyable to do at the minute.

If you’re happy with how things are at the minute then I’m pleased for you but I’d say the majority of people aren’t 

Most things are open. 

1 minute ago, OrielCaziado said:

I’m with you on this. It as the feeling of when Leicester was trapped last summer when other places were open.  Once a decision to hold fire is made then surely the figures which they’ve used to make that decision need to be bettered so to speak. With figures really low I don’t see that happening and therefore the summer restrictions will just continue.

For me it's like this - if now isn't the time to open, I honestly cannot envisage a situation where it will be OK to, by their own standards.

• Like 1

Babylon is right that you can do plenty of stuff you would normally do without too much trouble. It's comfortably possible to have a good time yeh things are now but it's not normal. 

It's the simple things that will make a difference but when you say them they sound ridiculous and don't look a big deal.

Pub visits especially for me. Be normal when I can nip in for a quick drink because I need a piss, when I can walk in without having to stand near the door for 10 minutes so someone can show me to the empty table, dont have to queue outside to get on the pier in Blackpool or the arcades etc 

I'm going to haven/centreparcs next week and I've had to meticulously plan everything to be able to do something. Which is fine to a point but would like a bit of freedom to act on instinct every now and again. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

For me it's like this - if now isn't the time to open, I honestly cannot envisage a situation where it will be OK to, by their own standards.

Why? The numbers for FULLY vaccinated are brilliant and it clearly makes a massive difference. I don't know how quick they can get the second jab into people, but finishing off the 40+ range would put us out of the woods. The numbers on the page before are pretty shitty for the Delta without vaccination and not great for the single vaccination. The double vax numbers gives them nothing to hold you back for once they are done. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Why? The numbers for FULLY vaccinated are brilliant and it clearly makes a massive difference. I don't know how quick they can get the second jab into people, but finishing off the 40+ range would put us out of the woods. The numbers on the page before are pretty shitty for the Delta without vaccination and not great for the single vaccination. The double vax numbers gives them nothing to hold you back for once they are done. 

I'll believe it when it happens. Forgive me if my faith isn't through the roof.

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No, for most people it’s nearly entirely back to normal. Don’t conflate the issue with other things. 

Pretty much, the only things outstanding are mass gatherings. And how much of a persons time does that equate to during a summer? Couple of hours a week?

My mother's pre-pandemic social life:

Tuesday  -  community lunch

Wednesday  -  church meeting

Thursday  -  community lunch and knitting club

Friday  -  whist drive

Saturday  -  coffee morning

Sunday  -  church

How many of those can she do now?  None of them.  Church is theoretically do-able but she is deaf and can't lipread through a mask.

You have a choice of attitudes here.  One, "I'm all right Jack, she and others like her are 88 so why should I care", or two, "Perhaps not everyone is quite so close to being back to normal".

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Babylon is right that you can do plenty of stuff you would normally do without too much trouble. It's comfortably possible to have a good time yeh things are now but it's not normal. 

It's the simple things that will make a difference but when you say them they sound ridiculous and don't look a big deal.

Pub visits especially for me. Be normal when I can nip in for a quick drink because I need a piss, when I can walk in without having to stand near the door for 10 minutes so someone can show me to the empty table, dont have to queue outside to get on the pier in Blackpool or the arcades etc 

I'm going to haven/centreparcs next week and I've had to meticulously plan everything to be able to do something. Which is fine to a point but would like a bit of freedom to act on instinct every now and again. 

On the pub side of it, as an example how much time in the pub with your mates consists of talking to your mates and having a laugh, over having to put on a mask to nip to the toilet etc. It's a mild inconvenience compared to not being able to actually sit in a pub and have a laugh with my mates, which not long ago we couldn't. 

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

My mother's pre-pandemic social life:

Tuesday  -  community lunch

Wednesday  -  church meeting

Thursday  -  community lunch and knitting club

Friday  -  whist drive

Saturday  -  coffee morning

Sunday  -  church

How many of those can she do now?  None of them.  Church is theoretically do-able but she is deaf and can't lipread through a mask.

You have a choice of attitudes here.  One, "I'm all right Jack, she and others like her are 88 so why should I care", or two, "Perhaps not everyone is quite so close to being back to normal".

Who said everyone?

If those things aren't open then I suggest you ask them why. My Mum goes to Salvation Army, the church is open, and my lad goes there with my deaf Mrs and people just take their masks off to communicate. A lot things like that aren't opening as people are still unsure of getting out and about and the numbers aren't there to sustain them. 

I never said it's entirely back to normal. 

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Utter bull plop, YOU were the one moaning about scientific advisors ruining a supposedly promised summer. Which of course be on the back of trying to stop lots of people getting sick. 

The list of things you can't do, isn't going to ruin a summer and you know it. 

For you….no.

Open your eyes and you might see not everyone is as comfortable as you.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

There are pubs you don’t need to book in?

You can’t watch the cricket sitting down? You have to walk about? Are you there to watch the cricket?

Scraps? It’s nearly entirely back to normal barring a couple of bits ffs.

You do realise a trip to the cricket is quite a social thing for many….. to be able to chat to other spectators, to choose weather to sit in the sun or shade, to sit mid wicket or behind the bowlers arm etc etc etc 

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

For you….no.

Open your eyes and you might see not everyone is as comfortable as you.

Again, what's not allowed is a tiny tiny percentage of most peoples lives.

Gym: Open

Pub: Open

Cafes: Open

Restaurants: Open

Cinema: Open

Shops: Open

Beauty Parlours: Open

Church: Open

Have people in your garden and a party: Yes

Have People in your house: Yes

Go on holiday in the UK: Yes

Play sports indoor and out: Yes

I could go on and on. And yet you suggest most can't enjoy a summer in the UK?

8 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

You do realise a trip to the cricket is quite a social thing for many….. to be able to chat to other spectators, to choose weather to sit in the sun or shade, to sit mid wicket or behind the bowlers arm etc etc etc 

If you go and watch England in a test, can you do any of them? The one you can, talk to other spectators you can still do. The cricket police won't chuck you out. 

Why focus on the "can't sit where I want" over "bloody fantastic to be sat chilling with a load of people watching the cricket with my mates". If that's going to ruin someones day then, well god help em. 

Edited by Babylon

Everyones perception of "normal" is different. A lot of pre-covid facilities and events are now open, which one could argue is normal, however the experience at those facilities / events are far from normal. For many that experience is what makes a trip or visit somewhere worthwhile. Advanced booking, rules of six, houses holds mixing, masks on / off when told to etc is not what we have spent most of our lifes doing therefore for most, is not normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Everyones perception of "normal" is different. A lot of pre-covid facilities and events are now open, which one could argue is normal, however the experience at those facilities / events are far from normal. For many that experience is what makes a trip or visit somewhere worthwhile. Advanced booking, rules of six, houses holds mixing, masks on / off when told to etc is not what we have spent most of our lifes doing therefore for most, is not normal.

Look, I don't want to get away from the original point here. Which was that somehow you wouldn't be able to enjoy a summer in this country as current regulations are. Yeah, there are plenty of mildly irritating and boring hoops to jump through. But if wearing a mask to the pisser, ruins your entire tip to the pub with your mates, then I don't know what to say. (not saying you, just an example). 

Yeah they'll be a small minority, whose summers were spent doing nothing but going to festivals. But it's a tiny fraction of people, and there is still plenty there to do, outside of that to amuse yourself. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1