Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

43 minutes ago, reynard said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Have to say if it is a choice between screwing the economy again by closing Pubs shops businesses etc to accomodate schools opening then kids should have to wait. We simply can't afford to close down the economy again unless absolutely necessary. I realise this will not be a popular opinion but kids can delay a year from school if absolutely necessary.

Its a really tough trade-off to have to choose between and I would not want to be making the decision. Of course, it's where the government shoots itself in the foot by not being willing to extend furlough. 

I'd lean toward schools over pubs because another year off school has huge ramifications for those from disadvantaged backgrounds. What they lose can't be brought back, whereas the government can do a lot on the economy. 

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

I don’t know mate, I think you are best placed.

I know bud. There’s a few big cvnts in there though tbf. If I pm you my address will you come and back me up? I bought a digging spade today, you can have that?? It’s a decent one. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Md9 said:

Will be interesting to see how many people decide to send the children back to school if we are still in a lockdown and stuff starts closing again. 

Mine are already dressed and ready to get on the school bus (not that I'm counting the days or owt :whistle:)

P.S. it's 32 :fc:

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

We need to start talking in absolutes and not if's, but's and maybe's. My least favourite saying I've seen in the media over the past month or so is 'sparking fears'. This is a new virus. Unless you can literally eradicate it like New Zealand, it's ALWAYS going to come back. The new spikes across Europe are simply from lack of social distancing. Spanish cases are growing by the day but thankfully not at the same pace as in March. 

Wear your mask, don't gather in groups indoors and don't take this p*ss. Too many people think it's a compliance exercise. I see it in my work. No PPE, then management come and people wear the full PPE for half an hour, management leave and it's back off. This isn't school, it's a pandemic. 

If people adhere to mask wearing and social distancing, we can control this. A vaccine is a real possibility but it still won't be for a few more months. You will then have your full freedoms back.

Mate I popped in the pub for a pint after work, I went to the toilet. The lad already at the urinal left without washing his hands. WTF!

Thats gross at the best of times but come on, how hard is it?

38 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Mine are already dressed and ready to get on the school bus (not that I'm counting the days or owt :whistle:)

P.S. it's 32 :fc:

😂 not to long then . I am still

not keen on them back at the minute but if the schools open I am sure they will be there. My youngest is bored I think now and becoming a bit of a pain 4 year old who thinks he owns the place (pretty much does 😂

not been to bad for me as I have been working and the Mrs works nights has them all day. Sure she will be keen for the school to open. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Its a really tough trade-off to have to choose between and I would not want to be making the decision. Of course, it's where the government shoots itself in the foot by not being willing to extend furlough. 

I'd lean toward schools over pubs because another year off school has huge ramifications for those from disadvantaged backgrounds. What they lose can't be brought back, whereas the government can do a lot on the economy. 

There really is no decision if it’s schools v pubs .........

4 hours ago, reynard said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Have to say if it is a choice between screwing the economy again by closing Pubs shops businesses etc to accomodate schools opening then kids should have to wait. We simply can't afford to close down the economy again unless absolutely necessary. I realise this will not be a popular opinion but kids can delay a year from school if absolutely necessary.

No dog in the fight either way. 

I see both sides of this argument but I very much think schools should take precedent in a shit or bust scenario. Economy isn't as important. 

Odd scenario though. 

Finally Victoria, Australia are going into a hard lockdown similar to the type in the UK at the height of the restrictions, and includes an 8pm curfew. If they’d have done this a month ago I’m sure they’d be looking forward to opening up again by now. As things stand the level of community infection has increased to a level that probably means 3 months or more of hard restrictions to get things fully back under control.

The paradox for leaders is that if they go for hard and early restrictions, and infection rates remain low, they are not generally congratulated, but rather are accused of overreacting. It takes a particularly self confident, bold, decisive leader to take the necessary action, and benign instances of these are rare.

In other Australian news, a constitutional challenge to WA aimed at forcing the state to reopen the border to other states is more likely to fail now that the Federal government is withdrawing support. The challenge is being made by a corrupt, fat **** of a billionaire from Queensland for whom the current arrangements are not convenient. Bizarrely the Federal government had intended to support his case, potentially threatening the spread of infection back to WA as has happened in NSW & may now happen in Queensland, but thankfully appear to have come to their senses.

The virus has been effectively eliminated from WA, and we’d like to keep it that way. As far as I am aware, there hasn’t been a local sourced infection here in about 3 months. A recent petition demanding that the border remain closed has received 250k (digital) signatures, about 10% of the population of WA, and polls have indicated over 90% support for the policy.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The challenge is being made by a corrupt, fat **** of a billionaire from Queensland for whom the current arrangements are not convenient. Bizarrely the Federal government intended to support his case, potentially threatening the spread of infection back to WA, as has happened in NSW & may now happen in Queensland.

Palmer is a disgusting human being, bought the last election for the Libs and bought his way into parliament a few years ago. Corrupt doesnt even start to describe him.

Re, the opening of the borders, id still be surprised if that challenge fails... the Federation demands that ALL people have free access to ALL states.

As it stands, what we are doing in WA (right as it may be) is unconstitutional and illegal

Edited by ozleicester
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Palmer is a disgusting human being, bought the last election for the Libs and bought his way into parliament a few years ago. Corrupt doesnt even start to describe him.

Re the opening of the borders, id still be surprised if that challenge fails... the Federation demands that ALL people have free access to all states.

As it stands, what we are doing in WA (right as it may be) is unconstitutional and illegal

I hope you’re wrong. I watched a programme on ABC with a couple of lawyers discussing the constitutional position and it seemed that as long as the action is deemed proportionate to the situation it is not illegal.

With what has happened in NSW and now Queensland, I cannot personally see how closing the border can be deemed anything other than proportionate to the threat. No doubt it will hinge on expert evidence, but the 3 women who were caught lying to authorities about their movements and consequently brought infection into Queensland from Victoria, should be exhibit A.

Edit: spelling

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I hope you’re wrong. I watched a programme on ABC with a couple of lawyers discussing the constitutional position and it seemed that as long as the action is deemed proportional to the situation it is not illegal.

With what has happened in NSW and now Queensland, I cannot personally see how closing the border can be deemed anything other than proportional to the threat. No doubt it will hinge on expert evidence, but the 3 women who were caught lying to authorities about their movements and consequently brought infection into Queensland from Victoria, should be exhibit A.

Are cases completed limited to Victoria? I haven’t really been following it that much but seems like quite a serious situation around the Melbourne area. Maybe the eventual fist peak has finally made its way to Australia. 

10 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Re, the opening of the borders, id still be surprised if that challenge fails... the Federation demands that ALL people have free access to ALL states.

I think within reason, the constitution goes out the window, just look at Victoria at the moment.

A state of disaster has been declared, we are not allowed out after 8pm and not allowed more than 5km from home. Most of this because people can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

WA should absolutely be keeping their boarders closed until the rest of the country gets this under control.

I would hate for anyone else in the country to go through what we are now, and this on the back of bush fires, it’s been a horror 12 months for the state. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Are cases completed limited to Victoria? I haven’t really been following it that much but seems like quite a serious situation around the Melbourne area. Maybe the eventual fist peak has finally made its way to Australia. 

Limited cases in NSW and the rest of the county appear to have the odd case linked to return travellers.

Victoria is were all of Australia’s community transmition is taking place and we have been completely locked down.