Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Are cases completed limited to Victoria? I haven’t really been following it that much but seems like quite a serious situation around the Melbourne area. Maybe the eventual fist peak has finally made its way to Australia. 

NSW has been reluctant to close its borders. This is understandable in some ways as they are much more integrally linked to other eastern states, however, as a result the infection has spread there from Victoria, and NSW has had to close the border anyway. WA by contrast has few road links with the rest of Australia so border closures are much easier.

NSW have done a good job of using test, track & trace to limit the rate of infections to about 17 a day, but personally I think they are probably holding on by their fingertips so it’s probably 50/50 as to whether infection takes off there and stronger measures might be needed. Goes without saying that I sincerely hope not.

There are some completely selfish arseholes over here and 3 young women have risked infection spreading to Queensland by lying about their travel itinerary in order to avoid mandatory quarantine on their return after visiting Melbourne where they apparently attended an illegal party. This has lead to a couple of cases in Queensland that are hopefully contained, but I guess people there are hold their breath.

The Victoria epidemic really highlights the limits of test and trace. I guess it’s like a jigsaw puzzle trying to keep track of the chains of infection. As infection spreads, instead of dealing with a 500 piece puzzle they are faced with a 10,000 piece one. The current spread has simply got beyond them.

Just to add, the outbreak in Melbourne is much more serious than the first one. In fact the first wave might have lulled them into a false sense of security, but applying measures that worked last time have not done so this time around. I think that by the time they discovered that they had a problem, infection had already spread much more than they realised. Last time most of the infections were from returning travellers.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I think within reason, the constitution goes out the window, just look at Victoria at the moment.

A state of disaster has been declared, we are not allowed out after 8pm and not allowed more than 5km from home. Most of this because people can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

WA should absolutely be keeping their boarders closed until the rest of the country gets this under control.

I would hate for anyone else in the country to go through what we are now, and this on the back of bush fires, it’s been a horror 12 months for the state. 

I feel so sorry for you guys over there. This seems to have all started with a single case due to a security guard and guest having sex in a hotel quarantine setting, if rumours are to be believed. You have a right to be very angry if this is the case.

I spent a few months in Melbourne in the early nineties and loved the place, but you do seem to have more than your share of selfish w@nkers over there. 25% of infected people refusing to self quarantine in a recent door knocking exercise!

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

I feel so sorry for you guys over there. This seems to have all started with a single case due to a security guard having and guest having sex in a hotel quarantine setting, if rumours are to be believed.

I spent a few months in Melbourne in the early nineties and loved the place, but you do seem to have more than your share of selfish w@nkers over there. 25% of infected people refusing to self quarantine!

The sex stories were the big rumours which are still unconfirmed, but obviously if true are shocking.

But from someone I know close to the events, the biggest problem was the same security guards were working days shifts at the hotels and then doing night shifts as UBER drivers - hence the mass spread of the virus across the state. 
Then there is the selfishness of some people 130 people with confirmation of the virus not being home when random checks were carried out is beyond selfish and bordering on criminal. If I lost someone close to me due to the direct link to someone not doing the right thing I’d lose my shit.

The volume of people still having parties, carrying on as normal is baffling to say the least and is so frustrating for those of us sitting back and doing the right thing.

I know quite a few people nervously waiting for tomorrow’s announcement about jobs and industry which will be shut down for 6 weeks. It’s certainly not the place to be right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I feel so sorry for you guys over there. This seems to have all started with a single case due to a security guard and guest having sex in a hotel quarantine setting, if rumours are to be believed. You have a right to be very angry if this is the case.

I spent a few months in Melbourne in the early nineties and loved the place, but you do seem to have more than your share of selfish w@nkers over there. 25% of infected people refusing to self quarantine in a recent door knocking exercise!

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

The sex stories were the big rumours which are still unconfirmed, but obviously if true are shocking.

But from someone I know close to the events, the biggest problem was the same security guards were working days shifts at the hotels and then doing night shifts as UBER drivers - hence the mass spread of the virus across the state. 
Then there is the selfishness of some people 130 people with confirmation of the virus not being home when random checks were carried out is beyond selfish and bordering on criminal. If I lost someone close to me due to the direct link to someone not doing the right thing I’d lose my shit.

The volume of people still having parties, carrying on as normal is baffling to say the least and is so frustrating for those of us sitting back and doing the right thing.

I know quite a few people nervously waiting for tomorrow’s announcement about jobs and industry which will be shut down for 6 weeks. It’s certainly not the place to be right now.

Pretty sure the "sex stories" were first made on talk back radio....sooo :)

80% of transmissions in Victoria are through peoples work places. - Capitalism huh :)

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Pretty sure the "sex stories" were first made on talk back radio....sooo :)

80% of transmissions in Victoria are through peoples work places. - Capitalism huh :)

Yes I’ve heard that, but the fact is that prior to this, Victoria was almost at the point of eliminating the virus, so it is criminal if such selfishness lead to its resurgence.

39 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Good luck anyway and let’s hope this is sorted quickly.

After all These Corvid stories around the Western Democratic  world...I Think we have to get something straight....

Mo matter if Governments have been right or wrong....

The populace the electorate have no more right to anything...when asked for the first time to Show some awareness,discipline & self Govern,

We has a collective have blown it big time....Hourdes of self-opinionated, self-rightious, egoistic, unthoughtfull, uncaring, running into suicidal

Yobbish bunch of moronic cretins.....Everybody above 12 should be >¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ <  leave that Space Open, you fit your own adjectives/verbs

Before anybody says, Bit we followed, Not Govt., but common-sense,self discipline Pandemic regulations....

I am Sorry but our species is only as good as what the lowest Level of human-amoeba in our society brings to the table in character and Human kind....

Maybe Time to give the Nihilists a go,and stop Living in a World of  pretence....

I See again...Sport being stopped,no entertainment, concerts,Theater, etc,etc...und forget 2nd wave, we have had positive dips,but Never left first wave status..

Only a small % can Work from home,all meaningless jobs..important society serving & necessary jobs,you have to 'go and travel to' Media & Govt. Overrated the

Ideology of home-office.....Society has either forgot or been totally blind in recognising the society's unqualified & qualified Jobs to Keep the world ticking over..

Financial-experts & wafflers have nothing to bring to the picnic...Economic growth & prudence are Empty vessels.....

The World's  'People' when asked....have not delivered,they were not prepared to offer patience,humility, or understanding of what pandemic means.

I just Hope Nature or God can realise our arrogant frailties,recycle Hope & give us a 2nd or is it X+1 & last chance..!!ich

Nature always evolves,so our species has had its time......Nature can be cruel & is self-protecting...

....I just wish I could of seen my LCFC win the FA cup...

• Like 1

I've had a look through the UK stats today. Our 7 day average for cases has gone up although it's clearly not rising anywhere near as fast as it was in February/March when we had no testing/case tracking. It's gone up by 70 per day compared to a week ago. Hospitalisations are down to 769 in hospital nationwide and there are only 68 on ventilators compared to 3000+ at the peak. If we are having a second wave then it's not going to be sudden, which means we can do something about it.

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/progression This is also a great data source, you can see how many cases in your local authority compared to last week as well as local 111 and 999 covid or suspected covid related triages, and to me it looks mostly like cases are just going a bit up and down all over the country. Like Chris Whitty said, we're probably ok with this level of restriction in place but any further and we may start to struggle. 

It would be good if we could see track and trace data. Dr. Chris Smith alluded on breakfast this morning that 80-90% of transmission has been traced back to within households, which shows that the fury at pubs, gatherings and what not is unjustified and is probably the source of Hancock's new guidelines. Outbreaks at more public places have been picked up and dealt with, which is what the whole system is for. 

I don't think things are as dreadful as the headlines this week may make out however this is a crucial time where guidelines NEED to be adhered to. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I've had a look through the UK stats today. Our 7 day average for cases has gone up although it's clearly not rising anywhere near as fast as it was in February/March when we had no testing/case tracking. It's gone up by 70 per day compared to a week ago. Hospitalisations are down to 769 in hospital nationwide and there are only 68 on ventilators compared to 3000+ at the peak. If we are having a second wave then it's not going to be sudden, which means we can do something about it.

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/progression This is also a great data source, you can see how many cases in your local authority compared to last week as well as local 111 and 999 covid or suspected covid related triages, and to me it looks mostly like cases are just going a bit up and down all over the country. Like Chris Whitty said, we're probably ok with this level of restriction in place but any further and we may start to struggle. 

It would be good if we could see track and trace data. Dr. Chris Smith alluded on breakfast this morning that 80-90% of transmission has been traced back to within households, which shows that the fury at pubs, gatherings and what not is unjustified and is probably the source of Hancock's new guidelines. Outbreaks at more public places have been picked up and dealt with, which is what the whole system is for. 

I don't think things are as dreadful as the headlines this week may make out however this is a crucial time where guidelines NEED to be adhered to. 

I know someone who is involved with number crunching for SAGE and they are saying there is deep concern on the impact of schools returning. Worst case scenario planning  could involve a return to the situation in March where much of the economy needs to be closed down to allow all schools to fully open.

We've always been around 2 to 3 weeks behind Spain and France in the way this virus has developed which is pretty concerning seeing how things are turning out in those two countries right now.

6 minutes ago, reynard said:

I know someone who is involved with number crunching for SAGE and they are saying there is deep concern on the impact of schools returning. Worst case scenario planning  could involve a return to the situation in March where much of the economy needs to be closed down to allow all schools to fully open.

We've always been around 2 to 3 weeks behind Spain and France in the way this virus has developed which is pretty concerning seeing how things are turning out in those two countries right now.

I know Switzerland had it under control until schools went back and it went around like wildfire but with no massive issues with high deaths. Of course SAGE will have worst case scenarios to go through but we’re in a much better position than back in March. The winter is a worry though and a lot of social distancing is slowing down. 

A lot is still not known about how children spread Covid and how it presents in them. 

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

There's talk of closing pubs and restaurants when schools go back. I don't get the correlation. Anyone care to explain? 

It’s just to balance the books so to speak. So by closing pubs, it gives more leeway in terms of cases so that schools can reopen. It would be incredibly unfair on restaurants I feel and could see them staying open. Pubs are an issue although they will be able to track just how many outbreaks are coming from pubs before making any decisions. It would be devastating to close them again especially as it seems furlough won’t be an option. 

8 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

After all These Corvid stories around the Western Democratic  world...I Think we have to get something straight....

Mo matter if Governments have been right or wrong....

The populace the electorate have no more right to anything...when asked for the first time to Show some awareness,discipline & self Govern,

We has a collective have blown it big time....Hourdes of self-opinionated, self-rightious, egoistic, unthoughtfull, uncaring, running into suicidal

Yobbish bunch of moronic cretins.....Everybody above 12 should be >¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ <  leave that Space Open, you fit your own adjectives/verbs

Before anybody says, Bit we followed, Not Govt., but common-sense,self discipline Pandemic regulations....

I am Sorry but our species is only as good as what the lowest Level of human-amoeba in our society brings to the table in character and Human kind....

Maybe Time to give the Nihilists a go,and stop Living in a World of  pretence....

I See again...Sport being stopped,no entertainment, concerts,Theater, etc,etc...und forget 2nd wave, we have had positive dips,but Never left first wave status..

Only a small % can Work from home,all meaningless jobs..important society serving & necessary jobs,you have to 'go and travel to' Media & Govt. Overrated the

Ideology of home-office.....Society has either forgot or been totally blind in recognising the society's unqualified & qualified Jobs to Keep the world ticking over..

Financial-experts & wafflers have nothing to bring to the picnic...Economic growth & prudence are Empty vessels.....

The World's  'People' when asked....have not delivered,they were not prepared to offer patience,humility, or understanding of what pandemic means.

I just Hope Nature or God can realise our arrogant frailties,recycle Hope & give us a 2nd or is it X+1 & last chance..!!ich

Nature always evolves,so our species has had its time......Nature can be cruel & is self-protecting...

....I just wish I could of seen my LCFC win the FA cup...

That's quite a rant. Some odd concepts in there as well. 

To say that people work from home are all "meaningless jobs" is bit of a broad statement. I will say that, yes some jobs are not able to do at home and are very important. From NHS, bin collection, postal workers etc...cant work from home. However, there are people who can work from home that have important jobs. Everyone has a role in the economy. Without pay, you can't spend. If you can't spend, then companies don't receive income...you see where I'm going with this. So matter what your job,it's important. 

I agree, maybe we can learn lessons from this, but I think you might want to rein in this rant a little. My hope is that we can get through this soon as possible to resume life and then get your wish to see Leicester lift the FA cup

35 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I know Switzerland had it under control until schools went back and it went around like wildfire but with no massive issues with high deaths. Of course SAGE will have worst case scenarios to go through but we’re in a much better position than back in March. The winter is a worry though and a lot of social distancing is slowing down. 

A lot is still not known about how children spread Covid and how it presents in them. 

It’s just to balance the books so to speak. So by closing pubs, it gives more leeway in terms of cases so that schools can reopen. It would be incredibly unfair on restaurants I feel and could see them staying open. Pubs are an issue although they will be able to track just how many outbreaks are coming from pubs before making any decisions. It would be devastating to close them again especially as it seems furlough won’t be an option

I don't think it would just be pubs. We already don't have theatres open for eg. Hard to see them opening at all right now. Watching live sports looks a distant dream.

Johnson and Government already looking at nuclear option of isolating all over 50s, banning travel for Londoners outside the M25 ring. etc etc.

All worst case but shows how worried the Government actually are.

Big mistake to close this off completely.

Edited by reynard

6 minutes ago, reynard said:

I don't think it would just be pubs. We already don't have theatres open for eg. Hard to see them opening at all right now. Watching live sports looks a distant dream.

Johnson and Government already looking at nuclear option of isolating all over 50s, banning travel for Londoners outside the M25 ring. etc etc.

Where has this come from?  Is there a source?

Guest Markyblue
50 minutes ago, reynard said:

How for the love of god is closing workplaces and pubs etc so some 9 year olds can play pe and draw pictures going to help our country in the long run.

Guest Markyblue

Economic ruin ,millions unemployed, huge medical implications for the nation as a whole when schools could be put back a year, shut everything down again and there wont be a country as we know it to come back to.

51 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

That's quite a rant. Some odd concepts in there as well. 

To say that people work from home are all "meaningless jobs" is bit of a broad statement. I will say that, yes some jobs are not able to do at home and are very important. From NHS, bin collection, postal workers etc...cant work from home. However, there are people who can work from home that have important jobs. Everyone has a role in the economy. Without pay, you can't spend. If you can't spend, then companies don't receive income...you see where I'm going with this. So matter what your job,it's important. 

I agree, maybe we can learn lessons from this, but I think you might want to rein in this rant a little. My hope is that we can get through this soon as possible to resume life and then get your wish to see Leicester lift the FA cup

Are you new to his posts?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Ah i see, thanks.

Zombie-apocalypse.com

Thought so.  Govt make outrageous statements via "leaks" so that the eventual restrictions wont seem too bad.

As I've said before, the rumour in feb was for 250,000 deaths down graded to 100,000 in 1st wave.  Now looking at less than 50,000. This isnt a rip roaring success by these clowns but it is better than the predictions.

For the next 9-12 months there will be flareups and local lockdowns and testing like you wouldnt believe. The local restrictions will get better organised. 

Personally I've had a cotton bud up my nose 4 times so far (fifth on tuesday).  It's a hobby I suppose. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well I don’t think we’ll get live crowds in large numbers back until there’s a well circulated vaccine, could perhaps be the whole 2020/2021 season. But it doesn’t have to be a full lockdown again. 

Ireland has had a rise in cases again.

We had over 80 cases on Thursday which is the biggest one day figure since about May I believe. There was over 50 today.There's been an outbreak around the Kildare/Laois area in the midlands.

The deaths have remained low since the decline began around May 25.

Pubs are due to open next week but looks like that will be delayed again.

It's a bit concerning but I hope we won't have the surge we had in March when everyone was taken unaware.

The number of deaths from coronavirus in Iran is nearly triple what Iran's government claims, a BBC Persian service investigation has found.

The government's own records appear to show almost 42,000 people died with Covid-19 symptoms up to 20 July, versus 14,405 reported by its health ministry.

The number of people known to be infected is also almost double official figures: 451,024 as opposed to 278,827.

Grim reading. Don't know about everyone, but personally I'd expect global pandemics to bring out the best in the world's different peoples. Hiding information makes fighting this thing harder, surely.