Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

These selfish cvnts you are talking about....how long are you banking on everyone staying at home exactly? 

The idea of lockdown was to flatten the curve. I bought into that. Get things stabilised and avoid chaos in the NHS. Buy time. Give the medics a chance to figure this out. That's done now. 

I'm afraid those vulnerable need to be Uber careful and those who aren't need to be Uber respectful. But that's it. The world economy is tanking over an illness that basically doesn't affect 90% of people. 

It's not selfish in wanting or needing to move on. It's a necessity.

What a stupid ****ing post. A virus that doesn't affect 90% of people. **** me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Cos some of us have  had only a couple of days off since Christmas, we were having to do 3 shifts 24/7 when all that ventilator crap came out only for the government bods to come in and say they weren’t really required! But thanks for the effort, well in future how about bollox, make em yer self.

Ok, understand the frustration , but why go where it’s obviously going to be a risk for you and others?

We need to start talking in absolutes and not if's, but's and maybe's. My least favourite saying I've seen in the media over the past month or so is 'sparking fears'. This is a new virus. Unless you can literally eradicate it like New Zealand, it's ALWAYS going to come back. The new spikes across Europe are simply from lack of social distancing. Spanish cases are growing by the day but thankfully not at the same pace as in March. 

Wear your mask, don't gather in groups indoors and don't take this p*ss. Too many people think it's a compliance exercise. I see it in my work. No PPE, then management come and people wear the full PPE for half an hour, management leave and it's back off. This isn't school, it's a pandemic. 

If people adhere to mask wearing and social distancing, we can control this. A vaccine is a real possibility but it still won't be for a few more months. You will then have your full freedoms back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ok, understand the frustration , but why go where it’s obviously going to be a risk for you and others?

Leicester has 120 cases per 100000, it was 140 per 100000, Leicester has a known population of 329000. That means there’s 660 people in  Leicester with it. There a 0.12% chance of me catching it or giving it in Leicester or approximately 12000 to one. Now some people may consider that a risk but would you put your mortgage on a 12000 to 1 bet.

• Like 1

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Leicester has 120 cases per 100000, it was 140 per 100000, Leicester has a known population of 329000. That means there’s 660 people in  Leicester with it. There a 0.12% chance of me catching it or giving it in Leicester or approximately 12000 to one. Now some people may consider that a risk but would you put your mortgage on a 12000 to 1 bet.

My mortgage sure. My life and the lives of others, no. 

Funeral of a family friend yesterday.

Black masks supplied to mourners who didn't bring their own

Numbers attending limited

Hand sanitisers in front of seats which were arranged in threes and well separated, families sat together

No singing allowed

Lectern where the eulogy was given wiped down with hand sanitiser after the service together with seat backs

Probably the best that could have been achieved to keep people safe in my view.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Dunno but there was a famous 5000/1 once and look how that turned out. 

17 hours ago, Parafox said:

They will. Depends on the shop. Maybe the local "offy" or corner shop in certain areas might not bother too much if you're the only person in there but supermarkets and the mainstream outlets will.

I was in the biggest supermarket in the middle of town. It's opposite the train station so maybe you could argue it's people coming into town going to the beach or whatever and have forgotten to bring a mask and they want to pop into a shop. The R rate here is extremely low so maybe people are complacent.

17 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I see the Germans have a protest today against lockdown restrictions. 

Not a big fan of the effectiveness of marches myself, but does perhaps give a glimpse that the tide is changing

15k attending in a city of 3.7 million with David Icke’s bunch and neo-Nazi’s joining in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

15k attending in a city of 3.7 million with David Icke’s bunch and neo-Nazi’s joining in. 

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’ve assumed you’re pointing out not many turned up, whereas actually the % is far higher than our % infection rate in Corona riddled lockdown Leicester. 
It’s not really relevant to anything in particular I’m just pointing out how different percentages can be used in different circumstances to suit any argument.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I have no doubts many were cranks. I'd already said protests themselves aren't much cop. But it might be a pointer of growing frustration of childish, spiteful, divisive government like; 

'What do you want public? Your children to be educated or the ability to get ratted? Up to you....'

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Suggestions from someone in health that pubs may close in order for schools to reopen. 

Nightmare scenario. Keep the pubs open at all costs. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Have to say if it is a choice between screwing the economy again by closing Pubs shops businesses etc to accomodate schools opening then kids should have to wait. We simply can't afford to close down the economy again unless absolutely necessary. I realise this will not be a popular opinion but kids can delay a year from school if absolutely necessary.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I have no doubts many were cranks. I'd already said protests themselves aren't much cop. But it might be a pointer of growing frustration of childish, spiteful, divisive government like; 

'What do you want public? Your children to be educated or the ability to get ratted? Up to you....'

I just don’t see it any different to protests which have earlier occurred this year- therefore not a sea change in public opinion towards differing government’s social distancing policies. Just a similar set of people off out again to rabble about conspiracy theories et al

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

36 minutes ago, reynard said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Have to say if it is a choice between screwing the economy again by closing Pubs shops businesses etc to accomodate schools opening then kids should have to wait. We simply can't afford to close down the economy again unless absolutely necessary. I realise this will not be a popular opinion but kids can delay a year from school if absolutely necessary.

Tbf it’s a fair point as there’ll be no jobs for them leaving school.