Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

This is the thing that I find most odd, the easiest change to make without impacting life is make wearing a mask mandatory. 

I've been very reluctant to wear a mask because I don't like them and it makes me touch my face more, but they do help control the spread of this disease and if the rule was masks are mandatory in shops I would wear it every time I'm in a shop. Why apply it just to public transport?

First measure where there is a detected spike should be mandatory face coverings in public.

Its harder to breathe, talk etc.  not comfortable, but this leads to a secondary benefit of making them mandatory.

If people have to wear them to go outside, and they so horrible to wear, it will make people think twice before going out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iniesta said:

Lol where did he say the *whole* of east leicester live like it? 

The BAME councilor clearly states its a problem. Or is she a far right loon? 

Being more offended by words than private landlords letting illegal and unsafe HMO properties shows where the issue lies imo. 

Ok, you want to make it about. My issue was on the first post where it seemed like a general comment in reference to the east side of the city. Subsequently, he explained his reasoning and I understood that. See my next reply. There is nothing left or right nor denial on housing arrangements, problems of factories or anything else in the exchange. In fact, I agreed with his point on the factories for example. You wanted to post an article from 2018 to ignite a debate that doesn’t need to be had. The initial post came across as a general comment. Why you’ve taken the exchange as a) a denial of the housing arrangements of immigrants into the city who supply the work force of these factories; or b) an accusation of racism etc. I have no clue. 

18 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Well it seems that national newshounds are now on the scent of the ‘rag trade problem’ we have in Leicester ...   one company that uses these back street sweatshops is called Boohoo and was founded by Mahmud Kamani and Carol Kane .. it’s now worth over £3 billion.     I wonder if Sir Pete knows about this one ...  Pete ! ... Pete !, ... are you reading this ! ...    This is right at the heart of 3 big issues ...  the spreading of Corona virus, slave labour and illegal immigration ...   can you get some council boys round there pronto please Pete !   How is this company able to get away with it ffs.    And ..   rather than wait for the two owners to donate a few bob to the poor and needy and get knighted when they get older,  and then have a nice big statue put up in the city and then pull it down a couple of years later ...   why don’t we do something about it now.

I don’t know how they still have got away with it they were in the news a few years ago about poor pay and working conditions but have still been allowed to carry on and make a ton of money from it. A company I used to work for the factory we used got stopped from doing work for a big company because they had been seen with the factory owners that do all the boho stuff, but then nothing has been done about it. Booho should have been dealt with at the time and checked on what factories they used on a regular basis. 

16 minutes ago, Md9 said:

I don’t know how they still have got away with it they were in the news a few years ago about poor pay and working conditions but have still been allowed to carry on and make a ton of money from it. A company I used to work for the factory we used got stopped from doing work for a big company because they had been seen with the factory owners that do all the boho stuff, but then nothing has been done about it. Booho should have been dealt with at the time and checked on what factories they used on a regular basis. 

carrying out this ‘low paid’ (illegal here) work in Leicester means it isn’t being done in Morocco or Tunisia or turkey or Moldova .......  I honestly believe that the authorities turn a blind eye to it because they take that excuse in and don’t want to be seen to target a minority community 

if they shut down these factories then the production will move into people’s houses. (It already is in many instances and has been for a long while). A sewing machine stuck in the back room and a fella bringing a couple of bags of part made garments around for the next part of the production process to be carried out.  Whilst that makes any kind of regulation even harder, at least it removes the covid issue somewhat.  You cannot avoid the initial  ‘cutting table’ element of the process having to be carried out in a factory unit environment but that is the least labour intensive bit of the process and reduces the transmission element .....but then you have to consider whether the cut fabric could be a vector of transmission if one of the  cutters has it and how long the virus can survive on the fabric (I don’t think it’s too long but then i doubt that too many studies have been done on the specific environment we are talking about here ) 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

carrying out this ‘low paid’ (illegal here) work in Leicester means it isn’t being done in Morocco or Tunisia or turkey or Moldova .......  I honestly believe that the authorities turn a blind eye to it because they take that excuse in and don’t want to be seen to target a minority community 

if they shut down these factories then the production will move into people’s houses. (It already is in many instances and has been for a long while). A sewing machine stuck in the back room and a fella bringing a couple of bags of part made garments around for the next part of the production process to be carried out.  Whilst that makes any kind of regulation even harder, at least it removes the covid issue somewhat.  You cannot avoid the initial  ‘cutting table’ element of the process having to be carried out in a factory unit environment but that is the least labour intensive bit of the process and reduces the transmission element .....but then you have to consider whether the cut fabric could be a vector of transmission if one of the  cutters has it and how long the virus can survive on the fabric (I don’t think it’s too long but then i doubt that too many studies have been done on the specific environment we are talking about here ) 

I am sure I have seen somewhere it stays in fabric for 48 or 72 hours could be wrong. Where I work now the the companies we use  go out to the factories in Dubai or morroco even the uk if they think there is any thing they don’t think is right going on. Boohoo are obviously aware of the factory’s they use so should be held responsible for not checking on them to make sure they are doing what they should be doing but the won’t because they get thousands of garments a week for small amount of money payed out. 

1 hour ago, Md9 said:

I think there is some serious palm greasing going on ...   all you need is someone with a company worth a few billion (tick !!) and some seriously greedy corrupt officials (tick!) ...  and hey presto !  

Anyway ..  enough about that, let’s talk about Boohoo, Vaz and Soulsby ..  :)

I noticed the pubs in Enderby were open last night . I was surprised at how few people were in there ( i didn't go in , i just walked past). so , with the terminal pissheads aside, most seemed to be heeding warnings. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The scenes from London are ridiculous. Crowds gathering in the street, no masks, no social distancing, drinks in hand. Oh man I hope they are all negative for COVID otherwise it does not look good.

Ludicrous isn’t it, and I’d imagine that if they all followed the rules and left their contact details then just one case could end up with them all having to self isolate along with all the people they’ve been in contact with. Mad. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Ludicrous isn’t it, and I’d imagine that if they all followed the rules and left their contact details then just one case could end up with them all having to self isolate along with all the people they’ve been in contact with. Mad. 

Yep.

All the protests, scenes on the beach, yesterday in London (and probably amongst other cities?) just makes a mockery of everything. People are responsible. Government are responsible.

Total shit show.

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/lockdown-house-party-uninvited-guests-4295360

Lockdown house party has uninvited guests turn up - a riot van full of police officers
Two officers travelled 200 miles in one shift to deal with all of the incidents last night

ByMaia Snow
09:46, 5 JUL 2020

Officers from Leicestershire Police on their way to 'break up a house party' (Image: Leicestershire Police)
The latest on lockdown: sign up for your FREE daily roundup of Leicestershire news

A house party being held inside the lockdown zone was gatecrashed - by a van full of police officers.

Leicestershire Police officer wearing PPE turned up uninvited and broke up the party in South Wigston on the first night of lockdown restrictions easing in the county.

While lockdown remains in the city, the county saw greater freedoms come into place, and some people took advantage of it.

As well as the house party, officers had to deal with many other incidents including fights, groups gathering in parks, and a pub was closed following an 'assault'.

The incidents took place all over the city and county, and two officers travelled 200 miles in one shift in order to deal with all the calls.

Officers had to deal with lots of incidents last night, including house parties, fights and assaults (Image: Blaby Police)
The officers, from Blaby Police, were called to incidents in Glenfield, Ratby, Groby, Braunstone, Hinckley, Burbage, Earl Shilton, Barlestone, Kirby Muxloe, Narborough and Enderby.

In a post on Facebook, the officers said they attended fights, people breaching Covid restrictions, house parties, 'assaults at pubs' - which resulted in one pub closing - groups gathering in parks, and anti-social behaviour.

They also said one person was arrested on suspicion of drink driving after they spotted a vehicle driving dangerously.

As the officers were finishing for the night, they spotted an ambulance parked up in the hard shoulder of the M69.

When they went to help, the officers found an aggressive patient in the back who the paramedics were struggling with.

The officers 'assisted' and the patient was transported to hospital for treatment.

The post on Facebook read: "Disappointing at some incidents tonight where by Covid regulations were being breached and persons then hanging around in large groups after the pubs had closed.

Police officers had a busy night dealing with incidents across the county (Image: Leicestershire Police)
"Some decided to give officers verbal, but they were eventually dispersed after some clear advice and options."

The post continued: "I can honestly say this has been a challenging shift for all officers on duty tonight and us all working extra hours.

"I am proud to say that I work with a great team of officers who have all worked extremely hard this evening with a demanding workload."

Pub closes its doors early after 'man sustains neck injuries' and police make arrest in Narborough
Images were shared on social media of police vehicles on the scene responding to the call

ByKirstie McCrum
21:26, 4 JUL 2020UPDATED21:28, 4 JUL 2020
NEWS
The Copt Oak, which closed hours after reopening following the police incident (file photo)
The Copt Oak, which closed hours after reopening following the police incident (file photo) (Image: Google Streetview)
The latest on lockdown: sign up for your FREE daily roundup of Leicestershire news

A pub in Narborough has closed its doors early tonight (Saturday) after an arrest was made on the premises.

Police were called to The Copt Oak earlier this evening - on the first day that pubs were permitted to reopened following the coronavirus lockdown.

After discovering an incident in which a man was injured at the pub, officers made an arrest.

The landlord has since closed the doors of the bar for the rest of the day.

A statement from Leicestershire Police said: "Police were called to a premises in Hardwicke Road, Narborough, just after 5.30pm today (Saturday, July 4) after a report of an assault.

"A man sustained injuries to his neck and was taken to hospital for treatment.

"Injuries are not believed to be serious.

"A 35-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of affray and remains in police custody.

"The landlord of the premises decided to close the business for the evening to prevent further incidents of disorder."

Images were shared on social media of police vehicles on the scene responding to the call.

The venue had posted on Facebook on July 1 to let people know about its reopening today along with many other pubs across the county thanks to new government measures.

"We are opening up our doors for you the 4th of July at 12pm and we are so excited to see you again," they said.

Machetes, knives and baseball bats used in 'violent disorder'
Nine people have been arrested

ByMaia Snow
12:26, 4 JUL 2020UPDATED12:29, 4 JUL 2020
NEWS

Nine have been arrested following an incident in Park Road, Blaby (Image: Google)

Two people were injured during an incident involving machetes, knives and baseball bats in a residential street.

Officers from Leicestershire Police were called to Park Road in Blaby at around 8pm yesterday after a report that a number of people were involved in a fight.

Multiple weapons were used in the fight, and two people were found with injuries shortly afterwards in Glen Parva.

The victims sustained minor injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment.

One has since been discharged and the second victim remains in hospital.

Eight men, aged 18, 19, 20, 21, 21, 23, 23 and 24, and a 17 year-old boy, have been arrested on suspicion of affray in connection with the incident and remain in custody.

The force is now appealing for witnesses to come forwards.

Detective sergeant Fraser McIntosh from Hinckley and Blaby Neighbourhood Policing Area (NPA), said: "This incident involved a large number of people and quite rightly would have caused some alarm within the local community.

"We would like to reassure you that we believe this disorder was an isolated and targeted incident.

"Nine people have been arrested in connection with the incident, two vehicles have been seized and a number of properties are being searched. We have recovered some weapons including knives and a baseball bat.

"Despite the inquiries we are doing in the area we would like to speak to anyone who has any information about the motivation and background to the events leading up to the disorder last night.

"Also if you witnessed the incident and haven't yet spoken with officers please get in touch. If anyone recorded the incident on their phones, has been sent footage or was driving by at the time and captured it on their dash cams we would like to speak to you.

"Any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, could help us move this investigation on."

Anyone with information should contact DS McIntosh at the police on 101.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/machetes-knives-baseball-bats-used-4293385

Dispersal order given to police after pubs reopening 'kicks off' in Market Harborough town centre
'Absolute disgraces'

1_EcHgbYnWAAA64HN.jpg

Police in Market Harborough on Saturday night (Image: Leicestershire Police)

Powers to send people away from a town centre were handed to police last night after 'shameful and frightening' scenes.

Officers in Market Harborough were granted a Section 34 order, allowing them to command people to leave the area, after reports of anti-social behaviour.

The powers, which Leicestershire Police reported were in place at around 11pm last night, remain in force until 7am today for the town centre.

Shortly afterwards, Leicestershire Police tweeted: "Officers successfully disperse people in Market Harborough following the authorisation of a Section 34 dispersal order.

"Good work by Team Leicestershire moving people on and keeping people safe."

Insp Siobhán Gorman, Inspector in charge of policing in the town, added there had been "incidents" in the centre of Market Harborough centre, saying: "A dispersal order is in place. People are now starting to leave."

Commenting on the police's dispersal order announcement, members of the public branded those responsible for anti-social behaviour "absolute disgraces" and "absolutely outrageous".

One added: "I drove through just as it was kicking off. Shameful and frightening.

"Put us back into lockdown and keep the idiots at home!"

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/dispersal-order-given-police-after-4295204

On 04/07/2020 at 10:04, stix said:

I’ve just read the latest article on Leicestershire Live regarding the official rules that were brought in yesterday regarding the localised lockdown. Pretty much back to the end of March for most. Although one person households can still maintain the bubble with another household, which is good for the likes of my mum, who had been able to form a bubble with my sister and her family. 

Im still a little confused about which businesses are allowed to stay open though. I work in aerospace, I live inside the lockdown zone, my place of work is outside of the lockdown zone in the north west of the county.  Am I allowed to travel to work? My company has deemed itself essential to its customers, whether rightly or wrongly I don’t know, and to be honest, the thought of not being able to go to work and having to stay at home again makes me more anxious than the threat of the virus does.  

Going to work in a company that has deemed itself as essential is considered essential travel, the company should give you a letter to show the police if you get stopped, then the onus falls on the company directors, that is their responsibility. We had the same thing during the first lockdown and they had to get certificates from the government website which stated the nature of the business. It’s not up to the police to decide what’s essential and what’s not essential, they’re just there to check that it’s all above board. I was dying to get stopped just so I could wave my certificate at the police, but I never did.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Going to work in a company that has deemed itself as essential is considered essential travel, the company should give you a letter to show the police if you get stopped, then the onus falls on the company directors, that is their responsibility. We had the same thing during the first lockdown and they had to get certificates from the government website which stated the nature of the business. It’s not up to the police to decide what’s essential and what’s not essential, they’re just there to check that it’s all above board. I was dying to get stopped just so I could wave my certificate at the police, but I never did.

My understanding is that all work is essential unless it’s prohibited (via lack of SD or specific limitations).  If you can’t work from home then you are encouraged to go to your workplace (assuming SD can be maintained) 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is anyone surprised? Months of sitting indoors, it was obvious they'd be a lot of trouble, unfortunately.

Aye. Let's not open boozers on a sedate day like Monday with folks at work. Let's get them open at 6a.m on a Saturday and call it 'Super Saturday' 

Shambles. 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

The scenes from London are ridiculous. Crowds gathering in the street, no masks, no social distancing, drinks in hand. Oh man I hope they are all negative for COVID otherwise it does not look good.

So far it seems mass outdoor gatherings are not causing any spikes . It seems to be mainly from indoor "work" places. It was probably better they were all outside more than all stuck in the pubs along that road

7 minutes ago, los dedos said:

So far it seems mass outdoor gatherings are not causing any spikes . It seems to be mainly from indoor "work" places. It was probably better they were all outside more than all stuck in the pubs along that road

So beer gardens could've been open this whole goddamn time