Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/more-150-people-tested-positive-4320917

More than 150 people tested positive for coronavirus across Leicester and Leicestershire this weekend - here's where
'Leicester is still quite an outlier in terms of the rates of coronavirus infection compared with any other place in the country'

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
11:45, 13 JUL 2020UPDATED16:20, 13 JUL 2020

More than 150 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Leicester and Leicestershire since Friday.

Some 152 new cases have been identified - 116 cases have been confirmed in Leicester, with the remaining 36 being detected in county areas.

Broken down to district and borough council level, the data shows that Charnwood was worst hit, adding 11 new cases to its total.

Oadby and Wigston, an area that has been described as a ‘concern’ to health chiefs, recorded seven new cases. Hinckley and Bosworth, North West Leicestershire and Melton all added four cases; three more cases were detected in both Blaby and Harborough.

A massive testing effort was underway in the city this weekend with door to door testing, home testing kits dropped off. Mobile units across the city and county were also busy swabbing residents to see if they have the virus.

The Leicester lockdown is due to be reviewed this week and as yet - it is still unclear what it will take to lift the restrictions in place across the city and in bordering county areas.

Speaking to BBC Radio Leicester this morning, the Government’s deputy chief medical officer (DMCO) Dr Jonathan Van Tam said: “Leicester is still quite an outlier in terms of the rates of coronavirus infection compared with any other place in the country unfortunately and any other place in the East Midlands.”

Latest confirmed cases data available - published on Sunday July 12 in relation to positive cases up until Saturday July 11 - is as below.

Leicester - 4,265 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 1,200
Blaby - 490 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 487
Charnwood - 792 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 433
Harborough - 375 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 405
Hinckley and Bosworth - 534 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 475
Melton - 158 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 309
North West Leicestershire - 317 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 310
Oadby and Wigston - 422 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 739

For context - data published on Friday July 10 relating to cases confirmed in the last 24 hours is included below:

Thursday, July 9

Leicester - 4,149 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 1,168
Blaby - 487 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 485
Charnwood - 781 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 427
Harborough - 372 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 402
Hinckley and Bosworth - 530 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 471
Melton - 154 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 301
North West Leicestershire - 313 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 306.5
Oadby and Wigston - 415 total cases. Rate per 100,000 population: 727

On 11/07/2020 at 11:46, Wymsey said:

Can't some of these textile factories, those reported to force staff with Covid-19 symptoms to work, temporarily close - to see whether the rate of this virus rapidly decreases in that and surrounding areas of Leicester?

It seems there is no political motivation to close them, I expect the council are in their pockets, which would mean it would be the government to do it, and I dont think the government care, they getting no political damage from shutting down the city.

The numbers are also creeping up I have seen multiple reports and in chronological order.

104 per 100k (not sure about this one cant find article now)

116 per 100k

120 per 100k

and the latest 126 per 100k

As I said before, I dont think these numbers are been normalised to take account in regards to the amount of testing, I think the actual number is probably in the 30-50 range when normalised, the government however is refusing to release test count data, so this cannot be absolutely proven.

statements from government tends to be vague one liners like "we are working with local authorities" or to quote this xxx cases per 100k number.

statements from the mayor or city MPs tend to be bashes at the government.

There is no evidence any action is been taken aside from the lockdown itself.

Come the 18th, I think its very likely there will still be a lockdown which I predicted, but I think there is a chance they may reduce the area, as there is some non labour areas on the edges, I think those may get removed.  The city is in it for the long haul.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

Are they still not giving out numbers from anywhere else? If they are going to give out our numbers everyday then surely they should release every ones to see if we are really the problem or they are just picking on the city due to the dodgy factories 

Apparently when the authorities turn up to check out some of the sweat shops there is no one there !!! .....  :o

Allegedly the interpreters are tipping them off ...  you’ve got to get up very early to get one over on Sir Pete ....

Perhaps we could offer a reward of (say) £200 for info leading to the closure of some of these places ...  might help ....  and maybe a reward for anyone who spots a cricket tournament taking place on local parks ...  

48 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Are they still not giving out numbers from anywhere else? If they are going to give out our numbers everyday then surely they should release every ones to see if we are really the problem or they are just picking on the city due to the dodgy factories 

There is cases per 100k for each LA, but there is no pillar B test counts public data anywhere, not even for national.

However on the guardian website linked a bit up in this thread, there is cases per test data, On that data Leicester is only about 20% worse over others, which to me is evidence that the cases per 100k population is skewed by the test count.  That suggests our 126 per 100k normalised should be 40 something per 100k.  It still is a high number but its not headline high.

Edited by Chrysalis

41 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No chance it gets lifted with those numbers. They've done nothing about the illegal textile factories and will continue to turn a blind eye to the issue.

Agree it looks unlikely to be lifted. It took 12 weeks for the lockdown to have an effect nationally. But then as the Government doesn't seem to have any idea on the criteria for ending it it could go on for a few weeks more.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/more-150-people-tested-positive-4320917

More than 150 people tested positive for coronavirus across Leicester and Leicestershire this weekend - here's where
'Leicester is still quite an outlier in terms of the rates of coronavirus infection compared with any other place in the country'

More than 150 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Leicester and Leicestershire since Friday.

Some 152 new cases have been identified - 116 cases have been confirmed in Leicester, with the remaining 36 being detected in county areas.

Broken down to district and borough council level, the data shows that Charnwood was worst hit, adding 11 new cases to its total.

Oadby and Wigston, an area that has been described as a ‘concern’ to health chiefs, recorded seven new cases. Hinckley and Bosworth, North West Leicestershire and Melton all added four cases; three more cases were detected in both Blaby and Harborough.

A massive testing effort was underway in the city this weekend with door to door testing, home testing kits dropped off. Mobile units across the city and county were also busy swabbing residents to see if they have the virus.

The Leicester lockdown is due to be reviewed this week and as yet - it is still unclear what it will take to lift the restrictions in place across the city and in bordering county areas.

Speaking to BBC Radio Leicester this morning, the Government’s deputy chief medical officer (DMCO) Dr Jonathan Van Tam said: “Leicester is still quite an outlier in terms of the rates of coronavirus infection compared with any other place in the country unfortunately and any other place in the East Midlands.”

Latest confirmed cases data available - published on Sunday July 12 in relation to positive cases up until Saturday July 11 - is as below.

For context - data published on Friday July 10 relating to cases confirmed in the last 24 hours is included below:

Thursday, July 9

So basically, no change.

Why, because too many aren't doing what they should and it's not being enforced either.

So, what's the point?

2 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

It seems there is no political motivation to close them, I expect the council are in their pockets, which would mean it would be the government to do it, and I dont think the government care, they getting no political damage from shutting down the city.

The numbers are also creeping up I have seen multiple reports and in chronological order.

104 per 100k (not sure about this one cant find article now)

116 per 100k

120 per 100k

and the latest 126 per 100k

As I said before, I dont think these numbers are been normalised to take account in regards to the amount of testing, I think the actual number is probably in the 30-50 range when normalised, the government however is refusing to release test count data, so this cannot be absolutely proven.

statements from government tends to be vague one liners like "we are working with local authorities" or to quote this xxx cases per 100k number.

statements from the mayor or city MPs tend to be bashes at the government.

There is no evidence any action is been taken aside from the lockdown itself.

Come the 18th, I think its very likely there will still be a lockdown which I predicted, but I think there is a chance they may reduce the area, as there is some non labour areas on the edges, I think those may get removed.  The city is in it for the long haul.

Playing politics with people's physical and mental health is contemptible but that's sadly the situation we face.

I said two weeks ago that this is going to be in place for up to 8 weeks and got quite a hostile response.

• Like 1

Guest Fktf
3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So basically, no change.

Why, because too many aren't doing what they should and it's not being enforced either.

So, what's the point?

Agreed. They really need to start enforcing it.

I think it will get dropped on Saturday. The damage to Leicester businesses and shops will be irreparable if they keep this going any longer - especially when a person can leave the City and go and shop or do business outside of the City (and let's be honest, the number of people actually following this local lockdown is low). It gets to a point where the solution (staying in lockdown) is worse than the problem it is trying to solve. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

So basically, no change.

So, what's the point?

It's not being enforced at all, which is incredibly hard when you see what London is doing.

I'd like to see mobile/door to door testing in London and see how those figures relate...

17 hours ago, davieG said:

Thursday, July 9

Are these figures actually high?, it's hard to actually imagine given how the data is presented. In getting on for 6 months 1200 per 100,000 people in Leicester, 1.2 out of every 100 have caught the virus, Hinckley and Bosworth which is quite a big area, 475 or 1 person in every 200, with a national death rate of .06%.  Doesn't sound like many to me.

Edited by yorkie1999

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

I think it will get dropped on Saturday. The damage to Leicester businesses and shops will be irreparable if they keep this going any longer - especially when a person can leave the City and go and shop or do business outside of the City (and let's be honest, the number of people actually following this local lockdown is low). It gets to a point where the solution (staying in lockdown) is worse than the problem it is trying to solve. 

Considering cases have gone up, not down, I think i'd be surprised to see us end lockdown.

But you are right...how are businesses in Leicester supposed to cope with a potential extra 4 weeks of lockdown? 

1 minute ago, Christoph said:

Considering cases have gone up, not down, I think i'd be surprised to see us end lockdown.

But you are right...how are businesses in Leicester supposed to cope with a potential extra 4 weeks of lockdown? 

well anyone effected after the 14th of July (today) will be able to claim a second grant in August so that should help local business and people no?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

well anyone effected after the 14th of July (today) will be able to claim a second grant in August so that should help local business and people no?

Wasn't aware of that. At least thats happening then.  Do you have a link where it says that? I'll show a friend as he has a local business affected by this. 

Edited by Christoph

14 hours ago, Fktf said:

Agreed. They really need to start enforcing it.

Why? 

I've happily ignored  the rules and gone away for a few days. 

I'm not in spinney hills and as such, I'm no more/less at risk of passing this on as anyone else in the UK.

It's a political lockdown. Not a health one. It's a stunt. They don't give two hoots about 'enforcing' it. Never had any intention of enforcing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Why? 

I've happily ignored  the rules and gone away for a few days. 

I'm not in spinney hills and as such, I'm no more/less at risk of passing this on as anyone else in the UK.

It's a political lockdown. Not a health one. It's a stunt. They don't give two hoots about 'enforcing' it. Never had any intention of enforcing it.

Maybe I misunderstood, or you are someone within insider knowledge, but it sounds a little selfish no?

Edited by Dahnsouff