Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

1 hour ago, deejdeej said:

Best one I've had was Grimsbys on welford road, saying that I'm not even that fond on fish and chips.

This is usually where i go when in Leicester (over the years) and has always been good and consistent for me. Had a few others in Leicester but dont remember their names.

North sea fish bar in Chesterfield was pretty good but that was years ago. Dont even ask about the chippies on this side of the pond absolute dog shit. The worst of england is the best here lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

That's the one

With the awning and outside seats. 

Superb, I’ll give it a go in the next week or so.

Used to go to Hi Tide Fish Bar in Narborough when I lived in Leicester, never had a problem with them and they used to have Absolute Radio on n all.

Ruby's in Thringstone, not had them since I moved away but been in same family for generations, won plenty of awards, and have people visiting from all over the country. 

Cod used to be fvcking huge, itd stick out the carrier bag and tickle your armpits it was that big. 

• Like 1

Billy's. 

Kings next to KFC(The old last straw)

Gypsy Lane next to Aldi for Fish. 

Time and Plaice in Rothley was nice too. Something different going to eat in. 

Edited by Ashley

6 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

There was a massive brawl in our local chippy last night. 

Six fish got battered. 

Hi @Izzy :trumpet:

Fella walks into his local chippie and says “Can I have a Steak and Kiddley pie please?”

The owner says “I think you mean a Steak and KIDNEY pie’

Fella goes “Well that’s what I said diddle I?”

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Ruby's in Thringstone, not had them since I moved away but been in same family for generations, won plenty of awards, and have people visiting from all over the country. 

Cod used to be fvcking huge, itd stick out the carrier bag and tickle your armpits it was that big. 

Good shout Ruby’s is class. Also has anyone been to the cinnamon tree Indian? That place is ****ing unreal 

1 hour ago, Wet Trump said:

Superb, I’ll give it a go in the next week or so.

Used to go to Hi Tide Fish Bar in Narborough when I lived in Leicester, never had a problem with them and they used to have Absolute Radio on n all.

Enough right there to put me off going.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Gypsy Lane next to Aldi for Fish. 

When my mum was alive she used to treat me and my wife to fish and chips from this place mainly, I believe, for her own satisfaction. She was disabled and housebound but this was a real treat for her and I have to say, us too. Friendly owners, generous portions and the fish always tasted fresh not from from frozen, like so many other places serve including sadly, some "gastro pubs".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

I used to like Grimsby's on Welford Road, but havent been for years

It’s great no doubt about it but I’m reluctant to go now. I went about 15 years ago (yes I do hold grudges) and was 1 of 3 people in there yet it took over an hour for my food to come out. When it did come out my order was wrong but when I pointed it out he took my food off me and told me to get out lol.

Countesthorpe chippy is decent and they do a great mixed kebab.

2 minutes ago, pds said:

Fish makes me heave. 🤮

Others might quite like it. I know what you mean though. I really dislike fish pie, I detest fresh/smoked salmon. I can only eat salmon or tuna out of a can with a dash of vinegar on it yet I like most smoked fish. Berwick kippers are the dog's b's. 

Fresh cod or haddock in decent, light batter is exquisite and deep fried whitebait is so nice with proper tartare sauce.