Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Ruby's in Thringstone, not had them since I moved away but been in same family for generations, won plenty of awards, and have people visiting from all over the country. 

Cod used to be fvcking huge, itd stick out the carrier bag and tickle your armpits it was that big. 

Disappointed I had to wait this long for the correct answer! 

21 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Good shout Ruby’s is class. Also has anyone been to the cinnamon tree Indian? That place is ****ing unreal 

Chilli n spice for me in Swannington. 

57 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Fella walks into his local chippie and says “Can I have a Steak and Kiddley pie please?”

The owner says “I think you mean a Steak and KIDNEY pie’

Fella goes “Well that’s what I said diddle I?”

C1ED7E68-281F-4FAB-BBDD-8913B35F48D2.gif

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Fella walks into his local chippie and says “Can I have a Steak and Kiddley pie please?”

The owner says “I think you mean a Steak and KIDNEY pie’

Fella goes “Well that’s what I said diddle I?”

:nigel: 

I remember working in Beeston south Leeds about 20 years ago.There was this hut thing,a bit like a glorified shed.At about quarter to twelve a queue formed.It was actually a chippie.

I’d never seen anything like it.

I used to dig out in the Leeds area quite a lot.The fish is completely different.At least five times better than anything you get around Leicester.You would think chippies would be dying a death by now but they still always seem to be incredibly busy.Good to see.

37 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Went downhill a year or so back. I use Syston Fish Bar now. Never had a bad meal from there

Recent reviews say the staff are rude there.

Not a big fish and chip takeaway fan, but prefer Frydale's in Syston.

Edited by Wymsey

15 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Recent reviews from there say the staff are rude there.

Not a big fish and chip takeaway fan, but prefer Frydale's in Syston.

They've never been rude to me. I think there's just a bit of a language barrier. English isn't their first language so they probably come across as a bit blunt

• Like 1

I hate going to the chip shop. They're all filthy and if I do ever have to go in to one, I jump straight in the shower when I get home and scrub myself till I bleed.

The alternative options for a takeaway are incredible, why the hell would anyone choose to pay for stuff that's just chucked in a fryer and covered in grease?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I remember working in Beeston south Leeds about 20 years ago.There was this hut thing,a bit like a glorified shed.At about quarter to twelve a queue formed.It was actually a chippie.

I’d never seen anything like it.

I used to dig out in the Leeds area quite a lot.The fish is completely different.At least five times better than anything you get around Leicester.You would think chippies would be dying a death by now but they still always seem to be incredibly busy.Good to see.

Yeah, I have done a fair bit of work in Leeds and the chip shops are always incredible.

Grimsby on Welford Road was always the place to go when I was growing up. We used to drive for miles to get our fish and chips from there. Haven’t been in years, though.

Mario’s on Brauny Gate always did the job, too. No idea if it’s still there.

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Not really a surprise though. Leicester is just about the furthest City away from the sea.

Leicester has actually had a great rep for fresh fish/seafood.  It is something to do with it being the first major City they stopped south of Grimsby when all the trucks were travelling down towards London. 

Literally a few hours after coming off the trawlers !

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I hate going to the chip shop. They're all filthy and if I do ever have to go in to one, I jump straight in the shower when I get home and scrub myself till I bleed.

The alternative options for a takeaway are incredible, why the hell would anyone choose to pay for stuff that's just chucked in a fryer and covered in grease?

A few years back we had a "World cup of food" thread, including dishes from severt different countries from.all over the world. There were paellas, tagines, tandoori chicken... Any culinary delight you can think of. 

The people of Foxestalk voted Fish and Chips as the greatest meal in the world 😂😂

Edited by TiffToff88
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Ruby's in Thringstone, not had them since I moved away but been in same family for generations, won plenty of awards, and have people visiting from all over the country. 

Cod used to be fvcking huge, itd stick out the carrier bag and tickle your armpits it was that big. 

Beat me too it! Best chipshop ever. 

I need to head down there next time I'm in the area u think