Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Man City CAS

3 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Sorry for biting but does it actually work like that? Would get very messy with much more than that e.g us finishing 5th twice, give us our CL money then yeah? No

They could be stripped of titles and cups but there would be ‘no winner’ listed if that happened. 

I doubt that will happen though 

• Like 1

To be honest I have mixed feelings about the Man City news.

Manchester United are the first club that became a global corporation rather than a football club. They lobbied hard to ring fence all the money for themselves rather than the distribution across the Premier League. The Premier League itself was born partly out of a dream of Martin Edwards to strangle the opportunities of smaller clubs and effectively close out any financial competition. 

The sheer global appeal of the PL is probably something that wasn’t anticipated. I certainly doubt that an expected consequence was billionaire foreign owners who catapulted clubs like Chelsea and Man City into the elite.

I’m glad Chelsea had to get rid of Ambramovic. I think that Man City should be punished too, but part of me thinks that the PL would have been pretty boring without them. A succession of titles for Man United punctuated with the odd one or two for Liverpool - or maybe Arsenal. It would have been like the German League with Bayern or the Spanish League with Real and Barca. A dominant 1 or 2 rather than a dominant 6. Somewhat boring and predictable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

To be honest I have mixed feelings about the Man City news.

Manchester United are the first club that became a global corporation rather than a football club. They lobbied hard to ring fence all the money for themselves rather than the distribution across the Premier League. The Premier League itself was born partly out of a dream of Martin Edwards to strangle the opportunities of smaller clubs and effectively close out any financial competition. 

The sheer global appeal of the PL is probably something that wasn’t anticipated. I certainly doubt that an expected consequence was billionaire foreign owners who catapulted clubs like Chelsea and Man City into the elite.

I’m glad Chelsea had to get rid of Ambramovic. I think that Man City should be punished too, but part of me thinks that the PL would have been pretty boring without them. A succession of titles for Man United punctuated with the odd one or two for Liverpool - or maybe Arsenal. It would have been like the German League with Bayern or the Spanish League with Real and Barca. A dominant 1 or 2 rather than a dominant 6. Somewhat boring and predictable 

Defo not the odd two for Liverpool. 

39 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Defo not the odd two for Liverpool. 

Well the Premier League started in 1992 and Manchester United had won it 8 times and Arsenal 3 times before the emergence of Chelsea. No titles for Liverpool. 

Manchester United had won it 12 times and Chelsea 3 times before Man City got in on the act. Still no titles for Liverpool 

The creation of the Premier League effectively ended the dominance of Liverpool and the emergence of Chelsea and Man City ended the dominance of Manchester United. 

My contention is that Chelsea and Man City breaking the monopoly of perhaps one club that was in danger of emerging as a super club has been a good thing for English football - even if we bemoan the funding model that has enabled it 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

They could be stripped of titles and cups but there would be ‘no winner’ listed if that happened. 

I doubt that will happen though 

The UCI stripped Armstrong and Landis of their Tour titles. Problem is that it just leaves irreconcilable gaps in the Halls of Fame. No-one wants to be the one who inherited a title after the action has finished. Individuals can be publicly shamed, but a club isn't an entity that suffers shame. It can be found guilty and the individuals who broke the rules can be punished, but there'll be other chances bending and breaking fair play.

Man City, the collection of individuals who run the club, whether illegally or legally, created the successful teams and I'd feel for the blokes who played in those teams. They'd have not been aware of the financial machinations it took to assemble them.

When X number of Italian teams were discovered to have been involved in match fixing, the chief one, Juventus, was stripped of the title and demoted to Serie B (Calciopoli 2006), but match-fixing is the egregious crime of any sport. Fiddling the books isn't comparable.

I'd think a suitable punishment would be to limit it/them to no transfers in for the number of seasons they won titles and cups.

As for Guardiola - to tell him to shut up with the witless comments in defence of the club. He's no idea what went on.

• Like 2

Whilst I still think nothing will come of this and Man C will probably just end up with a slap on the wrist, the skeptical side of me is thinking, is it a coincidence this is going on at the same time as talks of the European Super League have come back up. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Whilst I still think nothing will come of this and Man C will probably just end up with a slap on the wrist, the skeptical side of me is thinking, is it a coincidence this is going on at the same time as talks of the European Super League have come back up. 

Man City have signed up to not entering any competitions without PL approval 

Now if they were relegated surely they would be able to enter without being in breach ……

this is years away in any case - the super league will probably be up and running before Man City’s case is sorted! 

Edited by st albans fox

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Man City have signed up to not entering any competitions without PL approval 

Now if they were relegated surely they would be able to enter without being in breach ……

this is years away in any case - the super league will probably be up and running before Man City’s case is sorted! 

Yeh, I kind of feel the PL are caught between a rock and a hard place. Carry on allowing the likes of Man C and Chelsea to take the piss out of the rules or punish them and risk pushing them towards the super league. As it stands, the majority of fans of the "big clubs" are totally against the super league. I have a feeling they'd soon change their mind if the PL punished them.