Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

West Ham v Man Utd & Liverpool v Chelsea - Match Thread

Guest bennytwohats
6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow only got back home now and I don't think you could ask for better results! West Ham did us a real favour tonight.

I am still not confident at all for the weekend. We've bottled so many big matches this season and Spurs showed exactly how to play against us - just sit back and hit us on the break. Man U have pacey forwards and we have slow defenders as Soyuncu is suspended. But... we have a chance and that's all you can ask for.

The Bournemouth result now feels like such a sickener. A game we were completely dominating and should have put away in the first 45 before sh*tting the bed like a toddler with diarrhea. But still if someone said at the start of the season you go into game 38 with the chance of getting Champions League by winning, you'd take it every time!

COYB!!!

It’s good that United didn’t run riot. But tbh United drawing to West Ham, or winning 2-0, the dynamic for the weekend is exactly the same. We need to beat them.

Still, all to play for!

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow only got back home now and I don't think you could ask for better results! West Ham did us a real favour tonight.

I am still not confident at all for the weekend. We've bottled so many big matches this season and Spurs showed exactly how to play against us - just sit back and hit us on the break. Man U have pacey forwards and we have slow defenders as Soyuncu is suspended. But... we have a chance and that's all you can ask for.

The Bournemouth result now feels like such a sickener. A game we were completely dominating and should have put away in the first 45 before sh*tting the bed like a toddler with diarrhea. But still if someone said at the start of the season you go into game 38 with the chance of getting Champions League by winning, you'd take it every time!

COYB!!!

I think that rude awakening against Bournemouth and then Spurs defensively might make Rodgers go back to 4-3-3 with Choudhury in there too like we did vs the better sides when Rodgers first got here. The pace of Soyuncu meant Rodgers did a way with us defending deep but I think we need to be very cautious to push up unless players drop back to keep the shape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Keep reading these kind of comments. So naive to think this would mean Liverpool would change their game. Teams want to win matches, it’s as simple as that

It happens for sure. Not going to 100% say liverpool would want that because yes it pays to win all your games, obviously . But to say teams dont do this who knows?

We must sit back and let Man Utd have the ball. Deep defensive line for our lorry paced defenders. Pack the midfield out to protect it. Smash and grab 1-0 win.

If we attack them with our current defence we’ve no chance. Force Man United to play wide, let big Wes just head their crosses clear all match.

Edited by SheppyFox
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

We must sit back and let Man Utd have the ball. Deep defensive line for our lorry paced defenders. Pack the midfield out to protect it. Smash and grab 1-0 win.

If we attack them with our current defence we’ve no chance. Force Man United to play wide, let big Wes just head their crosses clear all match.

Not got the full backs for that mate. They will get inside from out wide, so we have to press them. They are in the same boat as us, and are going to be all guns blazing...

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Not got the full backs for that mate. They will get inside from out wide, so we have to press them. They are in the same boat as us, and are going to be all guns blazing...

They aren't in the same boat as us - they only need a draw.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think that rude awakening against Bournemouth and then Spurs defensively might make Rodgers go back to 4-3-3 with Choudhury in there too like we did vs the better sides when Rodgers first got here. The pace of Soyuncu meant Rodgers did a way with us defending deep but I think we need to be very cautious to push up unless players drop back to keep the shape.

Maybe, but we played that way against Man U at Old Trafford and were awful. In fact I still maintain that was out worst display of the season, whilst we capitulated against Bournemouth, let's not forget we were sublime in the first half. Against Man U I felt it was a boxing match where we never even laid a glove on them. As soon as they got that fortunate penalty it was game over.

Games like this can often come down to guts and composure. Think about World Cup Finals, Euro Finals, Champions League finals... usually they are massively boring and it comes down to a single moment. We've got three big players in our team; Kasper, Evans and Vardy we've got to keep us cool, tough the recent evidence suggests otherwise. Really if I could ask for anything it would be for a Tielemans and Ndidi masterclass, because we need it against specifically Bruno Fernandes.

I expect the worst and hope for the best... it's one of those days where someone can write their name into Leicester City folklore. Ryan Bennett 90+5 winner?  Don't mind if he does!

I also can see a situation where Wolves beat Chelsea, but we lose at home to make the bottle job we've just been on feel even worse than it already does :( ! I hope I am wrong!

Edited by StriderHiryu

47 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If we somehow manage to beat them and Chelsea don't lose their game, we will be the reason Maguire loses out on CL... That would feel good.

Why? What did Harry ever do to us except give us a couple pretty good years as a CB and earn us way too much money?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Why? What did Harry ever do to us except give us a couple pretty good years as a CB and earn us way too much money?

Nothing personal against him, it would just send a nice message if we sold a player for that much money and then finished above them in the table.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Nothing personal against him, it would just send a nice message if we sold a player for that much money and then finished above them in the table.

Fair enough. I just don’t share the same irritation with Harry that I do with Mahrez, because he handled the whole transfer drama with a lot of class I thought.  Which was quite a contrast...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Fair enough. I just don’t share the same irritation with Harry that I do with Mahrez, because he handled the whole transfer drama with a lot of class I thought.  Which was quite a contrast...

Yeah, he was very professional about it, and I'm glad he left in a way because of how good Soyuncu and Evans have been together.

19 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Seconded. I still maintain that Mahrez was directly responsible for the end of our good early form under Puel when he had his post-January sulk and refused to play. In the Everton game's case - a game we lost anaemically despite a 2-1 scoreline suggesting otherwise - he clearly undermined our tactical plans for the day by not showing up. That side was set up expecting to have him on the right wing and instead we got peak-ineffective Gray in front of Amartey at the last minute. It was disgraceful conduct and catalysed a string of crap results lasting until mid-March.

Maguire on the other hand never threw his toys out the pram upon not getting a move in 2018, did not let his standards drop despite a mediocre season all-round for the squad, and we were able to make plans when it became obvious he was on his way the following summer.

Would still be funny though. Not for Harry's sake - still like the fella - but for Man Utd's sake for paying that much money for him and the media's sake, who swore he was "too good for us" and practically demanded the move happen.

He's simply a good centre-back with an occasional Beckenbauer streak who, thanks to being English and having a few memorable moments at the World Cup, is now inexplicably the world's most expensive defender. He cost Man Utd. more than Virgil Van Dijk for christ's sake. :fishing:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

It’s good that United didn’t run riot. But tbh United drawing to West Ham, or winning 2-0, the dynamic for the weekend is exactly the same. We need to beat them.

Still, all to play for!

The dynamic is the same, but they look burnt out. We do too with a depleted squad, but we’ve got enough to give this a go with the right set up. 

For once since about Christmas, I feel like we’ll do what’s needed. Arsenal (H) performance required. Lucky and clinical. Not ideal but I can see it happening 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

COYB!!!

Yeah. Still feeling sick about the Bournemouth results, particularly given the manner in which we went from dominating to self destructing because of not just a tactical switch but also because BR was too damn conservative. I don’t feel as bad about the Spurs result because that was kind of expected (except the last 10 mins where we gave up) but playing under fear for the Fearless Foxes is just not our way!!!! (Not for Vardy and Kasper too as they always fight!). This is what is most disappointing, and this is not just the Bournemouth game.

• Like 1