Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Harrydc

Will facemasks change the way you shop?

Will facemasks change the way you shop?   

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will facemasks change the way you shop?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Not at all. Quite happy wearing my mask to the supermarket and other shops. I just pretend I'm Zorro (one for the young uns :D)

I can see you slashing a Z into the backs of people who obstruct your progress through the aisles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

The government have said since March facemasks won't protect you, why now? 

They help protect others from your expired air or a cough/sneeze. They prevent the dispersal of microbes. However they also do offer a level of protection from inhaling the expired air of others. When we go to a patient we wear masks and we give a mask to the patient so that all parties have protection. It's about keeping your germs to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Because they are clueless and are led by scientists, making sluggish decisions based on what the scientists advise.

I'm not buying into this there's not enough ppe either.  All you need to make a face mask is a piece of cloth and two elastic bands.

The govt advice on where and how to go about getting one is virtually non existent.  Although tbf Costa did FB a link today, although you could say it's a little late with less than 24 hrs to go.

Too simplistic. The standard mask in hospital is 3 layers thick. A homemade mask out of cloth will have much less density than properly produced ones and will allow the micro virus spores through. Still, better than nothing I guess but don't be fooled that any face covering will protect you. It may however, protect those around you.

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Too simplistic. The standard mask in hospital is 3 layers thick. A homemade mask out of cloth will have much less density than properly produced ones and will allow the micro virus spores through. Still, better than nothing I guess but don't be fooled that any face covering will protect you. It may however, protect those around you.

I tend to agree but this was promoted by our local MP today as an adequate measure to take.

And there lies the problem.  The inconsistency amongst govt is sending mixed messages out.  Take a cross section of the views in govt and you'll be left with a myriad of opinion when everyone should be singing off the same hymn sheet.

Guest Harrydc
4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I tend to agree but this was promoted by our local MP today as an adequate measure to take.

And there lies the problem.  The inconsistency amongst govt is sending mixed messages out.  Take a cross section of the views in govt and you'll be left with a myriad of opinion when everyone should be singing off the same hymn sheet.

The inconsistencies are astonishing. Somehow, you're 'allowed' to go to a pub with your mates, in close proximity of people without wearing a facemask. However, you can't go in to a shop without one.. Nothing they say makes sense anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

The inconsistencies are astonishing. Somehow, you're 'allowed' to go to a pub with your mates, in close proximity of people without wearing a facemask. However, you can't go in to a shop without one.. Nothing they say makes sense anymore. 

Indeed.

Cinemas and theatres also do not warrant wearing a mask.  I don't understand the logic of this at all.

I think in most places it’s fine.

I’ve wore it a couple of times in Tesco and the only time it got uncomfortable was when I was trying to pack and keep up with the cashier. 

The grocery shopping is usually done online so it won’t really be an issue. 

Head = I get it. I agree with it. I think it's the decent, considerate, neighbourly and good mannered thing to do. 

Heart = But I still don't fancy it. It looks weak and submissive  (I know that's BS, but can't shake the feeling just yet) ...

I'll avoid entering shops as much as poss from now on. A stroll and browse round town, Xmas shopping, sales shopping, taking kids for a hot chocolate ....I think that type of family cultural norm is busted. What a shame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrydc said:

The government have said since March facemasks won't protect you, why now? 

You're protecting others (somewhat) if you're a carrier. Why are people not getting this. I want to actually shout at selfish ***** I see on the tube, trains and buses not wearing one.

• Like 4

While I agree the government's approach has not been ideal, this isn't about them. It's really about what we as individuals can do. The fact it's now codified in law is just an extension of that.

Wearing a mask in public is a minute inconvenience. It might not help, but it probably will. Either way wearing one isn't going to do you any harm.

So just wear one. Just in case.

People then have a choice if they want to go to the pub or not. You don't exactly have a choice about going to a shop for food. I just don't get why some people are looking for any excuse or looking for someone to blame. It's a mask! Wear it and there is a chance you'll save someone's life! 

• Like 2

Every bit of risk increases the transmission across the community.  I guess you could look at it and say that mask wearing in shops etc makes it possible, for pubs and gyms to be open. 

Guest Harrydc
1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

You're protecting others (somewhat) if you're a carrier. Why are people not getting this. I want to actually shout at selfish ***** I see on the tube, trains and buses not wearing one.

It's not your job to shout, or make any comment for that matter at people not wearing one. Some people are exempt. For example, if you have certain medical conditions, or if it causes severe distress. This is something else I fear, others looking down on people when they may have no clue what reasons they have for not wearing one. 

24 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It's not your job to shout, or make any comment for that matter at people not wearing one. Some people are exempt. For example, if you have certain medical conditions, or if it causes severe distress. This is something else I fear, others looking down on people when they may have no clue what reasons they have for not wearing one. 

Pretty sure the strapping builders on my morning train who still don't bother arnt in the exempt group.

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Cinemas and theatres also do not warrant wearing a mask.  I don't understand the logic of this at all.

The logic is about the economy. The government are desperate to get the economy moving, allow shops to open and get customers in, then when shoppers are used to the concept of one way systems and keeping some sort of distance and believing they are safe, they then impose a rule to wear face masks, why not the other way round? It’s because no one would go shopping if they have to wear a mask because wearing a mask makes you think it’s unsafe. Eventually theatre and cinema goers will have to wear a mask but you need to get people doing something that they think is safe before imposing the rules, else no one would go in the first place. What I find disturbing is the government are still prepared to sacrifice lives for the sake of the economy because they are obviously willing to gamble and allow people to think things are safe before they impose rules on protection. We are all being manipulated for the greater good.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I hate wearing a mask mainly because my ears are so bloody weak. When I put a mask on they flop over like a dog who has just been told off. 

And they promote spots around your nose, thought I’d got something wrong with me until a few people I know noticed the same.

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Lockdown made me change from doing a food shop every 3 or 4 days to once a week. Masks won't change that, but I forgot my quid for the trolley earlier so god help me with remembering a damn mask each time

I use my front door key in the trolleys.

• Like 1