Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Harrydc

Will facemasks change the way you shop?

Will facemasks change the way you shop?   

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will facemasks change the way you shop?

• Yes
    • No

I was on a train to London today, and used the tube.
I wore my mask. I didn’t particularly like it, but I did. It was only for an hour or so, and shopping in the supermarket will be a lot less time than my train journey.
It wasn’t particularly pleasant, but it is the right thing to do. 
After wearing it, I can appreciate how some may people (with a legitimate health need) may struggle.
If you don’t have a legitimate health need, please wear your mask or face covering, but please do not be mean, cruel or aggressive to those that are not.  We don’t know peoples personal circumstances, and it is not our position to challenge.  Just do the right thing for yourselves.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Do you remember when the government said wash your hands? Everyone went out and tried to buy a 6 year supply of soap, handwash, hand sanitiser etc. There was a shortage of PPE for medical staff, if the government had said "don't go shopping without a mask" at the time, we'd have been buggered

It's took them 6 months though people could have made there own or they could have ramped up the manufacture process it's only cloth it's all to lax, I don't think we would have been buggered there would have probably be less of a buying frenzy in the stuff you mentioned

42 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Do you remember when the government said wash your hands? Everyone went out and tried to buy a 6 year supply of soap, handwash, hand sanitiser etc. There was a shortage of PPE for medical staff, if the government had said "don't go shopping without a mask" at the time, we'd have been buggered

My mrs pointed this out a few months ago when some shops ran out of soap, how can we run out of soap? what do people do, not normally buy soap then rush out and buy it so they can start washing their hands, dirty fvckers.

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

Mask wearing is so bad here. One of the many reasons the US is one of the few countries where the spread COVID is out of control. 

Which is kinda ironic considering America was built on rootin tootin mask wearing banditos.

I think I'll stop browsing and just go into places I know I want to buy something from. So I guess I'll be buying less for that reason. I went out earlier and it seemed OK mind, mask was on for about 3 minutes and I didn't come into contact with anyone. Still weren't many older people about which I think is why this was brought into place to get them out and spending.

I see some big chains aren't enforcing the rule. I guess the people on the shop floor aren't paid enough to deal with the abuse from morons and Karens. 

17 hours ago, Harrydc said:

The inconsistencies are astonishing. Somehow, you're 'allowed' to go to a pub with your mates, in close proximity of people without wearing a facemask. However, you can't go in to a shop without one.. Nothing they say makes sense anymore. 

17 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Cinemas and theatres also do not warrant wearing a mask.  I don't understand the logic of this at all.

Those locations have been laid out to maintain distances. Supermarkets and shops it’s near impossible to stop bottlenecks where distance can be kept 

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

I have decided to twat anyone I see in a shop without a mask.

This is made far easier by the fact that I have a mask on & the victim cannot identify me.

The mask also comes in handy for potential bank robbers as they do not stick out like a sore thumb anymore.

More crime, more work for security engineers.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Can we please stop online shopping until Royal Mail employ more staff? Which isn't going to happen anytime soon as apparently, despite being deluged with work, we're losing money hand over fist. :dunno:

And you thought Leicester City were inept!

There are other delivery companies.  Most of my stuff comes from DPD or Hermes.  Very little on Royal Mail.

I will reduce even more my shopping visits if i can.  Not yet found a way to really stop my glasses steaming up, which really annoys me.  I don't like shopping at the best of times, this makes it that bit more unpleasant.

That said I can see that the Government thinks this will encourage more people into the shops, so worth a go to help the economy.

16 hours ago, Strokes said:

Yeah if shops are so dangerous I have to wear a mask, I’ll just avoid them unless completely desperate.

I already do food shopping online, pay at pump etc. I only go in shops for things I want rather than need mostly.

That isn't the case, this is to encourage those who are scared to shop out from behond the sofa.

18 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Cinemas and theatres also do not warrant wearing a mask.  I don't understand the logic of this at all.

Cinemas & Theatres make their money out of the refreshments people buy. If you have to wear a face covering throughout a film/show, it would be difficult for people to eat or drink, therefore I don’t think many would go for that reason. With numbers in footfall in these places probably halved, I don’t think many would survive very much longer without their refreshment sales. 

I've not been in any shop that doesn't sell food since the day before lockdown. Not because I've particularly stayed away on purpose, I've just not had any need too, I only ever browsed on my dinner but I haven't been in the office and a trio into town with the family at weekends doesn't seem very attractive anymore. 

I don't think masks are necessary in the big shops, but I'll wear one if I have too. Are they still limiting numbers in the stores? Small shops I understand. I don't know how strict the local shops near me are going to be, probably stop me nipping out for some beers which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Mainly because I don't want to be wasting a fresh clean mask for a 1 minute shop trip. 

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

That isn't the case, this is to encourage those who are scared to shop out from behond the sofa.

I’ve completely misjudged it in any case, I’ve had to wear one 3 times today.

2 trips to the wholesaler and once to fill up the van. So I’m on my way home to inject myself with disinfectant now.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

If that is the strategy, it's a flawed one. 

I'll avoid all but absolutely essential food shopping from now on.  

Not that it's a big deal, but nipping to a garden centre, b&q, tesco, coop, sandwich shop, spar before a match  for a bacon bap...little things that you do impulsiviely all bolloxed. 

20 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

It's where the government have showed total lack of leadership again (can't think of how to put it).

I can go to a pub and not have to wear one yet have to wear one in Tesco where there's more space.

The lack of clarity is astonishing. Also why has it been decided to be madatary now, surely this should have come into place about three months ago lol

I think they'll end up reversing it. See Paninistickers post above, not wanting to go out, I think a lot of people will think like this...

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's where the government have showed total lack of leadership again (can't think of how to put it).

I can go to a pub and not have to wear one yet have to wear one in Tesco where there's more space.

The lack of clarity is astonishing. Also why has it been decided to be madatary now, surely this should have come into place about three months ago lol

I think they'll end up reversing it. See Paninistickers post above, not wanting to go out, I think a lot of people will think like this...

It's a very strange implementation all of this.  

I've just been into a Sainsburys and low and behold all staff are now wearing masks as well.  Day in day out for four months through the worst (we hope) of this without a mask and now all staff are in one.

I saw one person not wearing one and of course this individual was not hounded by police or security staff.

The most surprising part of the visit was still seeing every other self checkout not in use and queueing to get in, despite low numbers and everyone, bar the one individual mentioned, in a mask!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Thing is though, people need to go food shopping, going to the pub is a choice. Also if you go and do a large shopping trip and you have to go down most aisles of a supermarket, you will have been sharing the same air with a lot of people. People who are sick will still go shopping, because they need to, are unable to get a delivery slot or other - so forcing people to wear masks will at least make it a little safer for everyone.

With pubs, if they enforced masks then no one would go, because they wouldn't be able to do the one thing you do at a pub. If they kept pubs shut, the handouts will have to stop at some point and then most pubs would eventually shut for good. There would be a hell of a lot more moaning if this had been the case. Or let's say the handouts don't stop and they keep pubs shut but the taxpayer is paying £ billions each month to keep pubs in hibernation until a vaccine is found - no one would be happy about that in the long run, the economy is near enough in ruins as it is.

As for "three months ago" - at this time there was a very well publicised PPE shortage in the healthcare sector which was brought up in the news daily. It was big news that we were getting a shipment over from Turkey. It was even bigger news that it turned out it was all shit and had to be destroyed. The government could not have enforced the public wearing masks as it would have caused chaos. Even hinting at wearing a mask would have caused the same bellends who rampaged through shops buying up all the soap and cleaning supplies to go out and panic buy masks, materials to buy masks etc which would have made it even more difficult for carers and medical staff (who REALLY need it) to get hold of this stuff.

There are elements of this crisis that could have used clearer leadership, but I swear some people are just trying to find anything to moan about

• Like 1