Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

It's not as easy as "just dropping it" though. There are players whose social media following is linked to their endorsements, so there's a financial loss there.

There are probably players who have not only been so chained to it for their entire life, but I'd also hazard a guess that quite a few are addicted to the praise, the highs that social media can also bring. For every disgusting racist abuse there's still adulation, popularity and validation. It's not easy to just turn that off.

That being said, unfortunately there's no money or financial jeopardy in tackling racism like there is for taking down PL goals. Leaving social media in droves would probably be the biggest message they could send and boy does one need to be made.

• Like 1

After 24 games last season 

ignoring liverpool, Man City are likely 6 points better off this season,  Chelsea 2 , we are 2 worse off (but in better form overall) and United are 12 points better.  Spurs are either 2 or 5 better depending on winning game 24. 

the top echelons of the league is not that inconsistent compared to last February pre pandemic once Liverpool’s demise is taken out. 

image.thumb.png.d02222acb112d0c14d0173c5dda8c871.png

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

What i find is amazing is that the fans all these so big clubs are moaning like fook at how shit they are and here we sit, no complaints, no moans, are sitting second in the league, quiet happy, and realising that some of our top players are injured and acknowledging that the best team in the league are quite rightly top.

We have such a loser mentality, its not wonder we are only 3rd  :ph34r:

See the source image

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Players aren't going to suddenly delete their Twitter and IG accounts and lose access to all their mates and contacts though are they? 

So how do you pressure them into a forced change? Like needing ID or a physical address for an account? 

It's got to come from government IMO. And I don't see that happening any time soon. 

I'm sure he has his mates phone numbers

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

After 24 games last season 

ignoring liverpool, Man City are likely 6 points better off this season,  Chelsea 2 , we are 2 worse off (but in better form overall) and United are 12 points better.  Spurs are either 2 or 5 better depending on winning game 24. 

the top echelons of the league is not that inconsistent compared to last February pre pandemic once Liverpool’s demise is taken out. 

Isn't it more how the season has played out that's caused the impression of inconsistency. It feels like (so far) we've been the only ones consistent. Earlier this season Spurs were top and questions asked about winning the title. January 1st Liverpool sat top and are now admitting defeat after their recent drop off. Late November Pep' was beings asked whether Manchester City were out the race for the title as they sat in 11th. Chelsea have bounced around. 

I could see if Manchester United lose Fernandes they'd drop off a cliff also. They're so reliant on him. Pretty average team imo. Props has to be given to Pep'. For sure he's got a treasure of riches when it comes to his squad but they were struggling, had a problem in defense and their main striker out. He's re-jigged his squad to go on a run. I can see as it stands them winning the league. But who knows what will happen. We've got four games in ten days coming up and I presume they're in the same boat. Tiredness, injuries etc I think will come into play over the next few months. I can see some of the teams without these extra games (full week of preparation and training) closing in on the top of the table as they were earlier during the group stages. 

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Asking players to leave social media is like telling women not to wear short skirts to stop getting raped, it’s offensive victim blaming, it takes the onus off the actual perpetrators and it does nothing to solve the issue. I don’t know what the solution is but I know what’s it’s not. It’s so deeply depressing. X 

Exactly. I was thinking it's a bit like a someone going to a game and being racially abused and saying "Well it's on TV, so why don't stay home and watch rather than putting themselves in the firing line." Its not their fault its happening and they shouldn't have to adjust their behaviour because they are being abused.

Unfortunately, I think it's gonna keep happening for a while, same as it will at football matches, but to find ways of removing it quickly, and we have to find ways to punish people accordingly, make them accountable. Also we have to educate to change attitudes, and that's a long road unfortunately, it won't happen over night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Exactly. I was thinking it's a bit like a someone going to a game and being racially abused and saying "Well it's on TV, so why don't stay home and watch rather than putting themselves in the firing line." Its not their fault its happening and they shouldn't have to adjust their behaviour because they are being abused.

Unfortunately, I think it's gonna keep happening for a while, same as it will at football matches, but to find ways of removing it quickly, and we have to find ways to punish people accordingly, make them accountable. Also we have to educate to change attitudes, and that's a long road unfortunately, it won't happen over night.

Agree completely. It’s about education as much as it is punishment. Neither of which are happening just now though, or not enough anyway. Imagine having to be subjected to that shit? I fully aware of my white privilege. Awful. X 

9 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Makes me genuinely really sad that this is happening every week, shouldn't be happening at all. Completely disagree with Facebook's approach to this. They've said that they will temporarily ban anyone found guilty of posting racist content in order to give them a chance to 'educate themselves'. That's absolute bullshit in my view, it should be one strike and that's it, you're banned permanently. If you don't know that insulting another human based on race is wrong then you probably shouldn't have a social media account in the first place. You'd surely make a few people think twice before they posted too.

Of course, Facebook, IG etc are just paying lip service. Social media platforms thrive on hate and division and FB in particular is seeing a drop in popularity with younger people - for them to be seen as bland is just about the worst thing that can happen to them. No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

They're happy to spend bazillions on technology that knows everything about you, even what you're likely to do next but yet somehow it's beyond them to provide a safeguard that can detect racist or abusive language and both delete it and report it instantly...that just doesn't add up does it?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Asking players to leave social media is like telling women not to wear short skirts to stop getting raped, it’s offensive victim blaming, it takes the onus off the actual perpetrators and it does nothing to solve the issue. I don’t know what the solution is but I know what’s it’s not. It’s so deeply depressing. X 

Not quite, this would be the case if you were only asking the victims of racial abuse to come off of social media.

Some drastic need to happen to make social media companies take note.

If tomorrow the PFA asked all of its members to close their accounts until the companies did something about this, then that would have a massive impact.

Many football fans would follow suit in support of their heroes. Many sponsors who use social media to advertise would come out and refuse to use the platform too, it would be huge in terms of impact.

Don’t forget these social media giants rely on celebrities with their millions of followers to help them turn a profit. 
At the end of the day, every decision a big company makes is solely based on what their shareholders think. If you want something to change the only place to hit them is in the pocket.

The first platform to actually take this matter seriously and actually do something, would be the first platform everyone returns to. 
This is nothing like asking women to permanently change what they wear, this is asking people to make a stand together.

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Not quite, this would be the case if you were only asking the victims of racial abuse to come off of social media.

Some drastic need to happen to make social media companies take note.

If tomorrow the PFA asked all of its members to close their accounts until the companies did something about this, then that would have a massive impact.

Many football fans would follow suit in support of their heroes. Many sponsors who use social media to advertise would come out and refuse to use the platform too, it would be huge in terms of impact.

Don’t forget these social media giants rely on celebrities with their millions of followers to help them turn a profit. 
At the end of the day, every decision a big company makes is solely based on what their shareholders think. If you want something to change the only place to hit them is in the pocket.

The first platform to actually take this matter seriously and actually do something, would be the first platform everyone returns to. 
This is nothing like asking women to permanently change what they wear, this is asking people to make a stand together.

I agree with you but that’s a totally different point from what I was making. I was responding to someone who said footballers shouldn’t go on there as then they wouldn’t have to see the abuse. I think you misunderstood my intentions. I agree with your post. X 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think what troubles me most is that money is the prime mover in all this. As in so many spheres of life, what gets done (or rather, not done) is indicative of what is profitable, rather than any ethical considerations. In all such matters, I always follow the advice of wise sceptics who say 'follow the money'. 

It is true, the market is both the provider and ultimate adjudicator. People stop using these platforms, they cease to be relevant and you would hope in favour of more socially responsible alternatives. However truly associating FB, IG, etc with these activities requires more than using said platforms to call them out.

I'm sorry if this is completely wide of the mark but it seems to be way more prominent recently due to the attention and press its getting. These keyboard warrior scumbags probably get off on the fact that their racist vitriol is making national press. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to ignore but unless something serious is going to be done by the social media platforms I don't really see the point in highlighting it every week

• Like 1

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I'm sorry if this is completely wide of the mark but it seems to be way more prominent recently due to the attention and press its getting. These keyboard warrior scumbags probably get off on the fact that their racist vitriol is making national press. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to ignore but unless something serious is going to be done by the social media platforms I don't really see the point in highlighting it every week

I don't think it is more prominent right now, I think it generally happens after most games but right now with the world taking notice, players are actually reporting it. 

• Like 1

Alas, this is true I think. Any type of prejudice has those who adhere to it, perhaps briefly, in the pursuit of belonging or 'fashion' / 'trend'. Education is the only cure, and even that is a longer term solution.

Yes, I get that point totally too. But as has just been proven in the USA, it doesn't go away by ignoring it. What is unfortunate is that the platforms end up being enablers/apologists by default, much as our government nearly was in 1938/39 until Churchill got involved. Inaction is not the answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I don't think it is more prominent right now, I think it generally happens after most games but right now with the world taking notice, players are actually reporting it. 

But am I right in thinking that the accounts being used to make these vile remarks are pretty much faceless and somewhat untraceable? Awareness is of course important but in this case I don't see how it eradicates it in any way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yes, I get that point totally too. But as has just been proven in the USA, it doesn't go away by ignoring it. What is unfortunate is that the platforms end up being enablers/apologists by default, much as our government nearly was in 1938/39 until Churchill got involved. Inaction is not the answer.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, I just don't think the media reporting the same story every week is doing anything other than given these morons an even bigger platform. 

I don't wish to offend anyone though so apologies if I'm missing something